Thread: Eagle River Nature Center BBH

Default Eagle River Nature Center BBH

Gents...

WHEW!!!! Man, what a hike that was....after the Kodiak adventure, thought I was ready for that one.....

We went in about 7.5-8 miles...Friday night. Saturday morning at 08:00..first bear spotted in the top of a tree about 1 mile away...little guy about 4.5ft...We decided to have one of the kids take the shot at 180..but they just didnt feel comfortable with the shot.

Total animals seen, 25+ Sheep
    20+ Goats
    8 Bears.

Why so many bears spotted and nothing carried out.....well to put it lightly....I never thought I would see bears at 3000ft...shear rock cliffs.

This is a hunt I do not recommend for the light hearted....you will have to climb..no doubt about it....straight up, if you are a sheep or goat hunter, you will not have any problems with this hunt...if you think you are going to find one moving below 500-1000ft....forget about it....the lowest one we found was about 500ft and big 6ft if not a little bigger. He was traversing the mountain range about 3/4 of a mile away to my right moving left from the snowslide I wanted to shoot up. I ran down the river about 1/2 mile to try to cut him off....before I got to him he was across and gone..man they can move in that stuff and fast!

Great hunt for the weekend...left at 6-returned to the ERNC around 10pm....laid down in the parking lot and rolled out of my ruck...

If I dont go out of Whittier this weekend.. I will go back.....

DH01

PS...we saw about 12 other hunters up and down the river....so you can almost expect someone will be close to you and the possibilty of them actioning on the same bear is possible.

Go very light back in there, and best of luck.

any rams in the sheep? how was the snow?

Default Ernc

No rams spotted...all little guys....two huge billies
    No snow below 1000-1500 except on the slides, patchy. For some reason...angle of sun, there was more snow further up in the valley lower.

Easy vis for about antother two weeks then you will not be able to see much.

One word to make this hunt far easier and to put some space between you and other hunters: packraft.

Default raft

Thanks,,,yeah...We were going to rent one from the guy here in town...100$ for the weekend...great idea....was the original plan. The younger ones have no experience in this though...and the rapids I hear are around cat 4 in a couple of places.

Probably going to do this the next time if just the adults. yes..it would of been easier, but we would still have had to hike further up, but not out..and that seems to be what broke us off!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    and the rapids I hear are around cat 4 in a couple of places.
    If you do this, take out at Echo Bend and walk the last 3 miles back to the Nature Center. The rapids below Echo Bend are not to be taken lightly. Folks have successfully run them in a packraft, but those are folks with lots of experience and they're not doing it with fully loaded boats.

This was RL460, correct? which ends on June 15?

thanks

Default bears

i have done that hike several times...most of the bears are high HOWEVER, you can find an occassional bear down on or near the river. Usually they tend to make it lower as the season is ending. Most are high but a few can be had lower...miss that hike in and the beautiful mtns back in there.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

did you take snowshoes with you?

Default Ernc

No snowshoes..no need.

I agree, they can be found lower, we did see tracks..but every bear we saw was up with the goats minus two.

RL460. yep...online ticket, click and print.

Great country back there....awesome views and scenery. Think I will do a boat based hunt this weekend though...and give the legs a break

Good luck to everyone that hikes back there....like Brian stated. Packraft would be a great addition to this hunt. 10lbs and would save you about 4 miles of walking.