Thread: What to do next weekend?!?

Default What to do next weekend?!?

Finally got a free weekend that I don't have to work (5/22) . Haven't experienced a spring here yet so not quite sure what to do. We love anything outdoors. Any suggestions or incite into what you all are up to?

For fishing, the only things close are lakes and the valley streams (Montana creek, Willow creek, Sheep creek etc.). Almost all of the lakes in the Palmer area are pretty good for rainbows. You could also go glass the hillsides down towards Cooper landing for black bears. All of those hillsides are legal if you find one to hike up after, assuming you have the harvest cards. Most of the campgrounds are free, they start charging sometime in early June.

Have fun
    Riley

Area lakes for trout. Kenai & Kasiof River for kings. Hailbut & Kings in the salt between Homer & Deep Creek... A good time of year to say the least.

Want to fish for some nice kings in the salt? Lots of nice kings being caught between Anchor Point and Deep Creek. Two of my buddies and I put 3 nice kings into the box yesterday (Sat.) and caught and released 6 more.

A lot of nice halibut, too. We got our limit, not to mention catching about 5 or 6 halibut while trolling for kings (there's a picture of what we caught on the "Deep Creek Salt Report" thread). If you get a nice weather day there's nothing like catching fish out on Cook Inlet.

The Kasilof would be a good choice for kings, too. As well as the Kenai if you have a boat, or can afford a charter. Might not be "smoking" hot, but you certainly have a good chance of catching one.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Muttley, if that's an invite I'm in! I have yet to fish the salt and need to start learning the ropes of fishing outside of the lower 48 lakes and rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    Muttley, if that's an invite I'm in! I have yet to fish the salt and need to start learning the ropes of fishing outside of the lower 48 lakes and rivers.
    I guess that does sound kind of like an invitation, but it was rhetorical and what I was saying there is if you want to fish for kings the Anchor Point to Deep Creek area has a lot of them out there right now and it will only get better for the next month or so. Don't take this the wrong way, but I am a charter operator and charge for my services. Of course if you have your own boat and would like some pointers I'd be happy to help you get started and tell you how I go about catching kings up there. And if I'm not out on a charter I'd even be willing to get together with you down here to help you out on a personal basis. And that IS an invite!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Haha, I completely understand. I thought it would be worth a shot I appreciate the generosity and information!

Get High, Go Climb a mountain!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.