Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive wood stoves for cold smoking.....

Default Inexpensive wood stoves for cold smoking.....

Was wanting to know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about a type of inexpensive wood stove for a cold smoker. I was thinking of using a barrel kit for a barrel half he size or so of a 55 gallon barrel. I was wanting something that could hold a fire for at least 8-10 hours or so......... any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Valve View Post
    Was wanting to know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about a type of inexpensive wood stove for a cold smoker. I was thinking of using a barrel kit for a barrel half he size or so of a 55 gallon barrel. I was wanting something that could hold a fire for at least 8-10 hours or so......... any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?
    I have a used Nashua that holds a fire for 36 hours that I would sell cheap. Where are you located (roughly of course). You could not build a stove as cheap as I'll sell you this one, it is the last of the true "Airtight" barrel stoves.

Default Don't want to get in the way of GL's sale...

... but I just use a small galvanized garbage can. In the bottom end I cut a 6" hole in order to cram in stove pipe for the smoke to exit into the smoker. Next, I took the lid and cut three sides of a 2"x4" rectangular opening toward the edge of the lid. I bent this tab down to create a shelf on which to place a bent sheet metal damper to regulate the draft. I have moved the smoker several times, and when I set it up, I dig a depression for the can to lay in (sideways, of course). This depression has to hold the can fairly tightly, yet allow easy removal of the lid. The stove can be 2-4' away from the smoker. 1 or 2 lengths of pipe is about right. Some folks put a flue damper in the pipe to shut off the smoke to the smoker when they are starting or stoking it.

When you want to start the stove, get a good fire going with dry wood while the lid is off, and let it burn to embers, then cram it full of smoke wood atop the pile of embers and put the lid on. It will burn for 6-8 hours depending on the greeness of the wood and the amount of air you let in through the draft hole. Once you have wood constantly going in the stove, all you need to do is keep adding more green wood until your fish is done. I smoke mine for 2-3 days. It is more like the old fashioned smoked fish you find in the bush than the Little Chief style, and it will keep much longer than the hot smoked variety.

The cold smoking of fish requires that you have already dried your fish a little, because you are not cooking them as you do with a hot or kippering smoke. In fact, the smoke should be fairly cool by the time it enters the smoker. I have seen some guys use as much as 8' of pipe to cool the smoke before it enters the smoker.

If you use alder, don't forget to trim off the bark to prevent bitterness in your smoke. Out in Bristol Bay we used barkless cottonwood beaver cuttings which we found on the beach.

Have a friend that took half a 55 gal drum cut a hole for galvi pipe 10' to smoke house, cut a 10" square in top of the up side down half barrel got a piece of steel that sat over the hole for a lid. Can use the lid to create a vent if more air is needed.

George

Default Stainless

I have a stainless steel cabinet about 6' tall and 2 feet wide by 18" deep. It needs some one handy to make shelf brackets and get shelves. But someone could make it into a smoker if they want it. I am in Valdez.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I just used an old BBQ that I cut a 4" hole in the top w/ a hole saw and put in a fitting for a flexible metal hose, and put another fitting in the side of the smoke house.

You don't need anything fancy, and you don't need a big fire.

Default Looks like what am after!

I think that's going to use for my smoker. Should be able to pick up a Weber at the landfill or garage sale. Thanks Paul H.!!

Default If you do it Paul's way...

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Valve View Post
    I think that's going to use for my smoker. Should be able to pick up a Weber at the landfill or garage sale. Thanks Paul H.!!
    ... You won't be cold smoking. Heat (of course) rises. and that flexible flue pipe will conduct the heat right up into the smoker. Now if you have the smoker at the same level as the Weber so as to make the pipe horizontal, then you may not get the heat, but still more than if you were using a horizontal drum or other cylindrical vessel with a hole in the end rather than the top. With that kind of situation the vessel itself dissipates the heat leaving only smoke to exit.
    But if I misunderstood you, and you were interested in kippering instead of cold smoking, Paul's rig would be ideal.

Default flex pipe

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... You won't be cold smoking. Heat (of course) rises. and that flexible flue pipe will conduct the heat right up into the smoker. Now if you have the smoker at the same level as the Weber so as to make the pipe horizontal, then you may not get the heat, but still more than if you were using a horizontal drum or other cylindrical vessel with a hole in the end rather than the top. With that kind of situation the vessel itself dissipates the heat leaving only smoke to exit.
    My cold smoke setup is similar in that it uses flexi dryer 4 inch venting to connect smoke-source with cold-smoke-chamber. Mine has lots of extra flexi, so if its summer then I expand it way long, and in winter I collapse it into a short hose; either case not too much or little heat hits the meat. Works great, just go by the thermometer in the meat chamber.

I've also played with adding a cheapy kid's fan that you find in grocery checkout lines - runs on batteries - to the flexi pipe's flow, to get more smoke on the meat. That also works great.

Default Paul's setup...........

I understand about the cold smoke vs. kipper smoking, what I meant was I thought he had a good thing going there with his Weber as a fire source. What I was using up to this point was a box that was too small to produce smoke for longer than a couple of hours.

Default Understood

Here's the smoker I've been using for over a decade. Not pretty, but works well. My wife likes to hang her fish filleted by the tail after we dry them for a few days in the wind. I can also dry right in the smoker with the built-in fan.

Default Two more:

Here's the inside and the built-in fan with a door which opens for air, and closes for smoking.

Default I forgot to mention...

... that when you have a good smolder going, and you damper it down, this rig will easily burn over night. I know a guy who soaks his "beaver wood" in a container so that it smolders longer. Me, I just peel green alder and throw it in over the embers of the previous stoking, damper it down and go do something else for 4, 6, or 8 hours. So much nicer than minding a "little Chief" and way cheaper than the kind which drop "bisketts". I think I spent less than $40 making this smoker and have spent no money on it since.

Default Sayak

That looks like a Bristol Bay classic....

Default Dude-

If not BB, at least bush. My smoker out in Dingalingham was about twice the size. After I got a good fire going right in a pit in the floor, I would cover it with a wash tub with holes in it to smolder. Worked great.

Default Galvanized can

Make sure you burn all the zinc off your can before you smoke your fish, it will flavor your fish in a way that will make you quite sad after putting a lot of effort into making a nice product.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default True dat

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    Make sure you burn all the zinc off your can before you smoke your fish, it will flavor your fish in a way that will make you quite sad after putting a lot of effort into making a nice product.
    That even goes for galvy stove pipe. Zinc can be hazardous, so the stove and pipe must be burned off HOT before any fish/meat is smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    But if I misunderstood you, and you were interested in kippering instead of cold smoking, Paul's rig would be ideal.
    If you control the fire in the box, you will get a cold smoke. I've used a cooking thermometer to confirm that and the top of the smoker is at 100-110F. Whether you run the pipe verticly or horizontaly won't matter, it's how hot the fire is in your smoke box that'll make it a cold smoker or a hot smoker.

I put the fish strips in the smoker, and let a small fan run overnight to get the pellicle to set.

Then I build up a small teepee of birch kindling, burn it down to coals and put some water soaked alder logs on the coals to smolder. Put the lid on the bbq and it'll smolder away for a few hours. When the alders smolder down to ashes, the fan is put back in the box and run until the fish is sufficiently dry, typically 2 days.

I am going to show my absolute ignorance on the subject by asking what the following statement means:
    "You need to let the fish form a pellicle before smoking. Running the fan overnight seems to form a good pellicle"

What is a "pellicle"?

Post cold smoke vs. hot smoke

100F smoker temp is still a hot smoke; that will kipper your fish.

You have to get at least down to about 85F to cold smoke.

Like Paul H, my cold smoker uses flexi dryer vent to connect my smoke source (my regular smoker, a Smoke Vault) with my cold smoker (a little Chief with no element). I vary the length of dryer hose to get the right temp in the cold smoker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast