Thread: A happy encounter

Default A happy encounter

I went to check my bait today on the Hope Road and there was another rig parked at the pullout. 2 weeks ago when I got set up I hadn't seen evidence of another baiter, so when I saw the truck I figured there was room enough for both of us. Besides having more scent in the area can't hurt.

So I went in and was disappointed to see it hasn't been hit yet, but I made use of the trip and improved things a bit. I use a suspended barrel set up, and initially had a rope strung between two trees. I was thinking about the brownies and replaced the rope with a pole. I suppose a bear could tear my barrel down but I'm far more confident now.
    I also added a jug of molasses. I have it dripping onto an old stump, and I added a canister of Koolaid to sweeten things up.

On my way back I had the thought that I'd leave a note on the other fellow's rig with a description of my bait so we didn't crowd in on each other. He left before I did but to my pleasant surprise he'd left a note for me instead.

When I got home I called him and we chatted about locations and possibple carpooling. It was refreshing to have a friendly conversation with a "competitor". Two grown men who love the woods, and hunting, talking like adults. Apparently, he has a huge brown bear hitting his bait. I guess I'm next...

I asked him if he was an AOD member and he said he was a lurker but was thinking about joining. I hope he does.

Here's a couple of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Well isnt that nice! Its about time something good like that happens!

We had a MONSTER Brown Bear here Two years ago, I never saw him or his track last year 09' but saw a fair bit of him in 08'. He was in the mile 3 to mile 8 area, and then mostly on the other side of Six Mile Creek. He is the third largest bear I've seen in four decades of studying bears on Kodiak, Afognak, Alaska Peninsula. He is a true HOG if it is the same bear. I assumed he was dead.

Default To ERIK

Nice set up. Good luck.

Wink

It is nice to hear good ordeals in the woods. A great change from the constant drama on here.

By the sounds you may have a new hunting partner, and save on gas money to boot. I hope all turns out well.

GOOD LUCK!

So I was showing these pics to my wife last night and she says "You spelled 'license' wrong, genius..."

I sure did.

Hopefully the bears don't read.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I've had a couple pleasant conversations up in the Wasilla/Houston area also. Very surprised.

erik- good deal , nice set up , I like the idea the way you have the barrel...BTW most of us probably did not even notice the spelling not a detail i was paying attention to.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Past

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    So I was showing these pics to my wife last night and she says "You spelled 'license' wrong, genius..."
    But you spelled it right in the past... the faded version appears to have the correct letters, in the correct order.

My wife also has the ability look over everything I have done correctly and find the 1 mistake I have made. Comes with the gender I thnik