Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help... First rifle purchase

Default Help... First rifle purchase

Any advice and/or wisdom would be appreciated. I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I've done a bit of research and find I'm partial to a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 270Mag or wait for the new Kimber 84L in 30-06 to come out later this summer. Will likely find most use at the range, however I would like a caliber able to handle up to Elk or Moose for a possible hunt down the road. I'd like to get comfortable with the firearm first though (shooting, mounting scope, etc...).

Any insight or guidance would be helpful.

Of the two offerings you've selected I would lean towards the 30-06. There is probably more ammo available for the 06 than any other rifle load on the market.

If your just interested in shooting cheap ammo at the range there is plenty of military surplus available at most gun shows. If you would like a fast flat shooting round you could select a commercial load as light as 110gr. If slow moving hard hitting is your style a 220gr load is available.

Personally I think the 30-06 shines in the 165gr - 180gr bullet weight . In those weights virtually every premium grade of bullet is available over the counter in a large variety of stores.

A couple of thoughts:

First, have you spent any time at the range with either caliber? No offense, but I know a few guys who have bought their first rifle without trying any, and developed bad flinches because they weren't ready for recoil. If you have fired a few rounds, ignore this.

Second, I agree that you can't go wrong with the 30-06. I don't own one myself, but marshall is right about both the availability of ammo, and the versatility. In another post recently about the 30-06, a few guys were mentioning the book, 'One man, one rifle, one land.' J.Y. Jones took every possible species of big game in North America with one 30-06; a Remington 700, If I remember correctly. It's a little light for coastal Brownies and Polar bear, but at least adequate for anything else.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to both the forum, and the world of shooting!

Terry

If you are in Alaska go with an 06,anywhere else in the U.S. the 270 win.. Personally I would not own any gun with out sights for back-up if the scope fails

Here's another vote for the 30-06! Since it's your first rifle it's probably safe to say that you don't reload, correct? Look at the price difference in the two in regards to store bought ammo. Besides the 06 will kill anything the 270 Weatherby will and probably more.

The .270 Weatherby is a wonderfully flat shooting round...and more than capable of anything you mentioned. You had better be a reloader though as it can be a pricey proposition otherwise.

I own a .257 Weatherby, .300 Weatherby, and a .340 Weatherby and love them all.

If you serious about the Weatherby I would lean towards the .300 or .257 as they are both cheaper to shoot.

Here is an EXCELLENT article on the .257 that I like to share:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunit...magnum_031706/

Best of luck to you in your quest.

Get a Mark V. If the majority of your hunting is going to be lower 48 stuff, the 270 mag will do fine. I persoanally would opt for a 300.... and an Accumark.

Buy them both. Most of us on this forum have more than a few specialty rifles for different types of hunting in different types of terrain and climate conditions.
    30'06 is a good general purpose cartridge. Lots of different types of factory ammo available too. I used to shoot the 55 grain accelerators up to the 220 grain silvertips. 180s were my favorite for moose hunting.
    As for the 270 Weatherby I have never owned one or even shot one before, I do have a Weatherby Mark V SS in 340 Weatherby, call it my 338 on steroids, powerful cartridge, it was my first bear hunting rifle. Good luck with your choice and good shooting.

You seems to like nice rifles. Of the two, each are available in different calibers. As was mentioned, the 300 Weatherby chambering is available in the Mark V and would likely be a better choice. Primarily for availability of ammo and its ability to handle heavier bullet weights. The Kimber 84L will be available in other calibers too but the 30-06 is a very versatile caliber.

What you plan to hunt and where should be considered before selecting a caliber.

Are there any other rifle brands that you've considered? If you have the budget for a Mark V Deluxe, you have a long list of good rifles available in that price range or less. Consider the pros and cons of each and study all the types and cartridges before making a decision. Good luck and enjoy the process.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'll too jump on the '06 bandwagon. If you need a little more oomph from it, try the Hornady Superformance ammo. The Kimbers are great rifles, although I've heard a few squeaks about consistency issues... Just sayin'.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Go with the '06. It is sufficient for any North American game, easy to find ammo for anywhere you go, and easy to shoot.

There is a reason all other American hunting cartridges are compared to the 30-06. It is the standard against which everything else is measured.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

The two things you really need to figure out for yourself before you start the search are...1..What will I hunt with this rifle?....2....Where will I hunt it? The answer to those two questions will make all the difference in the world in rifle choice an amenities needed.

Brett

Thumbs up 30/06

For your location you can't beat the 30/06. It's much more flexible for multiple applications. Case in point I have 3 gun cases and pull out my '06 for 9 out of 10 hunting trips. Why? It works, it's reliable and I can get ammo for it anywhere.

Buying anything else but a .30-06 may have you thinking am I nut's for not getting a .30-06 for my first rifle? Not any of the Weatherby ctgs I haven't fired and not one do I think is even any better than a .30-06. I think anybody that spends any money on anything but a .30-06 for a first rifle is a little crazy in their thinking.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

These kind of threads are always fun

I'm not sure why the particular make and model rifles in the particular cartridges are "the two" choices available, but whatever the reason, "I" would pick the Mark V over the 84L and consider the cartridge as a secondary choice. Both will kill adequately and IMO with the right bullet selection, I dont think you will be able to tell the difference in terminal performance.

The .06 has a much greater selection of ammo, but you don't need a big selection of ammo to get the job done. One or two loads should easily suffice for a variety of gamer type. And then there's the what if you forget your ammo argument on a hunting trip of a life time? If you do, then borrow another rifle and live with the humiliation you deserve. On the list of top 100 reasons why to buy a rifle, that one should rank #100. The quality of the rifle is the #1 reason to choose it, if the cartridges are close enough in performance for the intended purpose. Don't pass up a thorough bred race horse for a dog (uh ohhh, now I've done it ) for something as trivial as the difference between a 270 Mag and a 30-06 (now I really done it ).

If you do pick the 84L, please do come back and tell us how well it does. If you pick the Mark V... no need to.... we will know how well it does. Now this is just internet gossip, so take it for what it's worth, but if you do a little digging you might find find some very mixed reviews by Kimber owners on how they like their rifle. It seems that some do and some don't... but hey... ya hear all kinds of stuff on da internet Please dont take my word for it... dig. I've already been down the depressing and frustrating road of buying what was supposed to be a good rifle and ended up being a dog road.

You must like stylish classic type rifles, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. I would never take one into the field because I would be too scared, and worrying about my rifle more than getting across that rock slide to a good hunting spot and cringing every time I slid it in and out of the rifle scabbard. But a little character never hurt a $2K rifle. And you probably only hunt in cloudy weather too, with no sun to flash that old mossy horn muley your approach 2 miles away. Not what I would pick as a "first hunting rifle" but, that's just me.

As has been mentioned, there are some other choices out there. The Mark V is a very good rifle. I would just get a little different flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Buying anything else but a .30-06 may have you thinking am I nut's for not getting a .30-06 for my first rifle? Not any of the Weatherby ctgs I haven't fired and not one do I think is even any better than a .30-06. I think anybody that spends any money on anything but a .30-06 for a first rifle is a little crazy in their thinking.
    Call me crazy.... heck, call me insane... I'm on number 7 (yeah, I know, that's not a lot, but I don't need a lot) and haven't had an .06 yet (243, 25-06, 270 Win, 7mm RM x2, 300 WSM and 300 RUM), and all but one of my kills have been one shot kills

The only critter I had to chase was a due to a poor shot that cartridge wouldn't have made a difference.

Thanks everybody... I do appreciate the feedback and have much more to consider with my first purchase. For me, learning and doing the research is part of the fun in the purchasing process. I will report back when I finally make the decision. I can now see why maybe more than 1 rifle is in my future... Thanks again

Remington 798 in 30-06. 180grain Nosler Partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigerfan View Post
    Thanks everybody... I do appreciate the feedback and have much more to consider with my first purchase. For me, learning and doing the research is part of the fun in the purchasing process. I will report back when I finally make the decision. I can now see why maybe more than 1 rifle is in my future... Thanks again
    Here's some relevant questions to help you think about what rifle you want/need:

1. What are you going to hunt? mating an appropriate cartridge with a game animal

2. Where will you hunt? I really like stailess/synthetic rifles. The ONLY place I would personaly consider blue/synthetic is with my African guns because I don't want reflection off the stainless barrel at close range. Other than that go stainless synthetic. Very practical.

3. Do you have a preference for control round feed, push feed, don't care? The only real time I would seriously consider this is with a dangerous game rifles and even then it's questionable.

4. What kind of safety? Winchester/Mauser 3 position or Reminton 2 position. I really like the 3 as I can manuver to bolt with the safty on in the middle postion and lock the bolt in place in the rear position. Nothing "wrong" with a 2 position though.

5. Weight factors? If you plan on using it for sheep, goat, or pack hunts weight is a legitimate concern. Kimber, Remington, and Browning make some nice light weight factory rifles in stainless/synthetic which is pretty hard to beat.

6. Do you reload? If you do get what you want. If you don't I would choose more "main stream" easily accessable cartridges. I have a .325wsm, but would never have bought it if I didn't reload.

7. What have you shot?/What are you comfortable with? For some people a .300win mag is too much reciol. Others can shoot .338s, .375s, .458s., ect. Nothing macho about it. It is what it is. Not everyone can shoot everything comfortably. If you think you like a calibre try to find someone to let you shoot it before you buy it. Know what you're getting into.

8. What's your budget? Custom rifle money, higher end factory money, mid range factory money, or low range factory money.

My 2 cents and take it as that: Kimber and the new Winchesters are the best factory rifles going as far as amenities. A Bolts and the Remington Ti are good as well, but I like CRF and 3 position safety. Never been much for Sako, Tikka, or Weatherbeaten.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Call me crazy.... heck, call me insane... I'm on number 7 (yeah, I know, that's not a lot, but I don't need a lot) and haven't had an .06 yet (243, 25-06, 270 Win, 7mm RM x2, 300 WSM and 300 RUM), and all but one of my kills have been one shot kills

The only critter I had to chase was a due to a poor shot that cartridge wouldn't have made a difference.
    I won't call you crazy...

First rifle was a .270 Winchester given by my father.

My purchases and additions since then have included .222 Remington, 6mm Remington, 2 more .270's, a .257, .300, and .340 Weatherby, a .350 Remington Magnum, and most recently a .45-70 Marlin.

I still haven't found a reason to add a 30-06.

Practically from a first rifle standpoint though it makes a compelling argument. I am a lover of guns though and practical seldom enters into my thought process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast