Thread: Blown Gasket Optimax 200

Default Blown Gasket Optimax 200

I put my extreme shallow in the water yesterday. It started up great after sitting all winter. Before leaving the shore I wanted the check the engine and noticed water coming out at the rear of the engine where the engine mates to the jet unit. You can see and feel where the gasket has been pushed out. I also noticed that the thermostat housing was apart. It is an inline housing held together by a 2 inch hose.

I am thinking that there was some water in there over the winter and it froze pushing the gasket out and the thermostat apart. I have owned the boat since new and this is the third winter sitting out in Fairbanks with no problems. It has a heater and the strainer was removed in the fall and the system blown out with compress air. It is my understanding that his engine is self draining.

Anyone have any insite??

Thanks
    Dan

Default happened to a friend also

a friend of mine had the same problem. They are supposed to be self draining, but hard to get water out of all pockets. His happened the first winter and after Compeaus winterized it so they stood behind it. But every winter since he used a small pump and hooked it up to the freshwater hose that you use to run the motor when not in the water to pump in the pink RV antifreze. No issues since. That happened about 4 or 5 years ago. havent heard of anyone elso having the same issue. Im sure the dealer will be happy to see you.

350SD

Ditto...Same happened to me last spring on my first run. It was my first winter so I figured I did something wrong. I spent more time ensuring water was out this winter and no problems this year!
    "One Last Cast"

Third winter for me too and so far, no problems. I do like the RV antifreeze idea though, better safe than sorry. What kind of pump did he use to force it through?
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_ak View Post
    Third winter for me too and so far, no problems. I do like the RV antifreeze idea though, better safe than sorry. What kind of pump did he use to force it through?

I use to push in RV antifreeze with my garden sprayer.....just made an adapter to go from the spray to the hose bib.

I like the RV antifreeze idea. I think I will be doing that from now on. Any body replace the gasket themselves?? Any tips on doing it. It is a bad time of year to get anything done at a dealer my friend was told 3 weeks to replace a cable.

Thanks

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by drj View Post
    I like the RV antifreeze idea. I think I will be doing that from now on. Any body replace the gasket themselves?? Any tips on doing it. It is a bad time of year to get anything done at a dealer my friend was told 3 weeks to replace a cable.

Thanks

Dan
    I changed one a year ago, not a major thing but you have to have special bolt (rented that from local dealer), what goes to flywheel when you lift your engine up and it stays in balance. I did that in one day. call dealer and ask if you need to replace any other gaskets, I can`t remember if I only replaced the one what goes around the block. It`s not that big of a job, just mark all cables and wires before you lift the engine up and take couple photos of the engine.

Default Pump

The pump he uses connects to a drill. Not much bigger a fist. Just hooks a short garden hose to the input side and then in a 5 gal bucket and the other freshwater input hose. I believe he fires the engine and lets it idle and pushes 5 Gal of RV antifreeze through it.

350SD

What is the name of your pump.

Quote Originally Posted by 350SuperDuty View Post
    The pump he uses connects to a drill. Not much bigger a fist. Just hooks a short garden hose to the input side and then in a 5 gal bucket and the other freshwater input hose. I believe he fires the engine and lets it idle and pushes 5 Gal of RV antifreeze through it.

350SD

can we get a picture of your pump and name and brand. Thanks Mike and then i did a quick google pump for drill and we'll you will see. Thanks for the idea 350

350SD

Quote Originally Posted by drj View Post
    Water coming out at the rear of the engine where the engine mates to the jet unit. You can see and feel where the gasket has been pushed out.

I also noticed that the thermostat housing was apart.
    The gasket you speak of is a common problem. They fail regularly and not due to freezing. Normally they fail when the engine gets a little too warm. It was probably damaged last season and you just noticed. Take a look at the locknuts above the gasket and you will probably find that the locking material is melted out of the nuts. This is a indication that things got a little too warm.

As far as the thermostat housing it probably did get pushed apart due to freezing. Next fall you need to be sure that the small drain hole in the thermostat is not plugged and that the housing is vertical so that it can drain. Another common problem.

The pump he uses connects to a drill.
    http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-M.../dp/B001GCU85S

Thanks for the information Crumn

The mechanics at Compeaus believe the gasket is being pushed out due to water freezing. They have a modification where they drill & tap a small drain hole and install a plug. So you can pull the plug every winter to drain that area.

The idea of overheating has merit. I was told the melted lock nuts were due to the exhaust expansion chamber overheating. Any ideas as to what might cause the expansion chamber to overheat?

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    The mechanics at Compeaus believe the gasket is being pushed out due to water freezing.
    Also happens on boats that are stored inside. Freezing may contribute but heat is the biggest problem in my opinion.

Crumm is correct, and so are the Compeaus Mechs. It's hard to figure where to place the most "blame" as it were but the problem is real. In the base adapter that is between the power head and the jet itself, there is a hole for drain purposes. Any of you that have had the power head lifted off have probably seen it. It's about 3/16" in diameter, not very big at all. All it takes is one small pebble or a tiny stick or even a tougher than average leaf to get in or across this hole and the entire area stays full of water. You know the rest. Mercury says (per the guys at Compeaus) not to drill the drain hole larger as it will drop the cooling system backpressure low enough that certain areas of the engine won't cool as they should. The drilled drain that the Compeaus guys have come up with is very easy to do and makes it easy to drain the area and/or pump glycol in there. No downside to that. Ask Mercury and all you get is a "we dont have any problems like that with any of these engines around here" plus a dumb look. Guess the reality of 32 degrees hasn't sunk in with them or why anyone would want to operate in the conditions that we do. I will be drilling mine (The new drain, not the stock drain hole) at the end of the season at the latest, or when time presents itself. I believe AIH or Denali Industrial sells the bolt they have settled on, Stainless steel with an integral stainless washer and a rubber gasket, 1" long, 3/8-18 (SAE) thread. Hope this helps, Oz

If the problem with the head is causes from freezing or the engine getting to hot, itís the person who is running the engine that cause the problem, mystery solved.