Thread: Hawk deterrent

Default Hawk deterrent

Does anybody have an idea on how to discourage this hawk from hanging around my yard?
    I have ducks that return every year and hang for the summer. He has decided to eat them. As long as they stay in the creek they seem safe. He will land on the edge of the creek within 4' of the ducks and freak them out. If I walk out there, he holds his ground until I am right on top of him. Then he flies about 10' away and takes up another watch.
    The ducks know the risk. One I call Paul (Drake) is on his third year here. 3 years ago a hawk had him upside down in the yard and ripped his breast feathers off of him. That makes it easy to identify him and Henny (Henreitta).

So the ducks seem to be surviving, but my sisters cat may not be so lucky. He is a diabetic, blind, deaf, clawless and toothless old curr. But since the sister doesn't seem to want him back, I have become his defender.
    Is there anything I can put up that would make the yard a little less inviting for him? I am thinking something like a fake owl that discourages pigeons, but for a hawk and won't scare the ducks.
    I am not even sure what kind of hawk he is, maybe a northern goshawk.

[/IMG]
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Greetings bull, yes, that is a northern goshawk. It is a juvenile (first year) female meaning it was hatched in May of last year. A lot of people, myself included, would be thrilled to have a predator-prey interaction take place in their back yard. I enjoy this raptor prey relationship so much I became a falconer. My bird of choice to train and hunt with is a goshawk. Great predators. If you would like to be rid of it I can tell you a fake owl will not work. It is also likely no threat to a cat no matter how crippled. You are correct, the ducks are safe while in the water. My guess is that it will head off away from your locale as spring progresses a little more as leaf out occurs and as more prey becomes available. How long has it been hanging around? Do you see it everyday? If it is still around in another week I would be willing to help you. PM me you would like so assistance. I am located in Anchorage. Good luck.

Thumbs up Jack Pot!

Oats,
    Wow, I feel like I know what's happening now. Thanks a lot.

It's been here for 2-3 weeks. Really good to know she isn't there for the cat.
    I shot some video of one of the attacks, but it isn't great. She sure isn't afraid of me. I have been pretty passive with her. I helped a falconer for a summer when I was a kid and do love to watch them. Her curving thru the trees with a couple of gray jays hot on her tail is good bird watchin'.
    Had an eagle crash thru the trees a couple of weeks ago to get one of our resident blue jays. Ended up crashed on the ground and within a minute the ravens were all over him and stealing his bird. He flew away hungry.

I can't say if it is here every day. If I was home all day I would bet it shows up. She is here a lot though. She landed on the ground again today, but away from the creek. I think she was mouse or rabbit hunting.
    I'll drop you a line in a week and let you know if she is still here.

Thanks again, RPs to ya.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it