Thread: Heading to Valdez....

Default Heading to Valdez....

I'm heading down to Valdez next Friday through Monday. Anyone know if the following rivers will have enough water to raft:
    *Klutina
    *Tsaina
    *Lowe (through Keystone Canyon)
    I've looked at the gauges for the Lowe and Klutina, but I can't make sense of either.

Thanks,
    Josh

Taslena and the Klutina broke loose and are flowing about 2/3 full. Lots of ice chunks and lots of snags on the sand bars. Raft eaters!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-822-4290

Just in case anybody is heading down to this area...

The Klutina looked good to go, but low. I forgot the bike, there was no traffic to hitch, I was unable to find someone from Copper Center to help with a shuttle, and running sucks, so we moved on down the road. River Wranglers did make a trip Saturday.

I heard rumors of ice bridges on the Tsaina, and I had limited info on this river, so again, we moved on down the road. After looking at this stream, I am stoked to run it, and I will definitely go back later this summer.

Keystone Canyon was scoutable from the road, so I went for a quick solo run. It was running about 3' on the river gauge (low?). It was easily navigated in a 16' Sotar raft. Splashy river with a super cool canyon (minus the road) and amazing waterfalls.

On another note, we camped at Little Nelchina, and it was crankin' pretty strong. I'm not sure if Tazlina Lake is open or not, but the Tazlina was flowing pretty similar to the Klutina. The lakes we did stop at on the way down had recently had opened up.

Hope this helps someone get set up for the weekend.

Josh