Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting information

Default Moose hunting information

I'm looking at doing a moose hunt in the future & would appreciate some info from you guys. I will tell you guys what I am wanting to do & let you make suggestions from there.

I am wanting to hunt moose without a guide, with archery equipment. I need to know a good area, what tags etc. I'll need, & any other information you think would be important. I'll be a total newbie to moose hunting & to Alaska but I have many years of experience bow hunting. Matter of fact, it's been over 20 years since I picked up a gun.

Default Moose

I have been on two "self guided" moose hunts, both times with a bush pilot flying us out. We took our own gear, food, shelter but we hunted with a rifle. Seasons can be checked on the Alaska game web site, tags for the area where we went were bought over the counter. PM me and I can give you more info. Mark

I sent you a e-mail Mark. Any input from anyone else?

Default First Steps

I would first obtain a copy of the 2009/2010 Alaska Hunting regulations and study them, and be intimately familiar with them for the areas you are considering to hunt. As lots of questions, in one of the other forums, same website, I think there is one specific to regulation questions.

Second, the time for 2010/2011 drawing permits has passed. The next drawings permit window opens in November/December and deadline is 12/31.

Since I don't know if you are interested in hunting around populated area or areas easily accessible to a large hunting population, or interested in a remote fly-in type of hunt. Obviously, a fly-in reduces competition, but it can be expensive, and requires lots of planning to put it all togeter.

There are some great videos for calling them in; and they can be called in. I would suggest working on your cow call and bull calling.

These are both available on this site @ http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/store/index.php?cPath=14&&page=3 and are great for learning how to call a bull in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

What unit would you guys recommend for bow hunting moose?

Default Where do you live?

If you want to do an inexpensive hunt, hunt close to where you live.

Since you have not revealed any information about where you live, it is impossible to advise wheter or not it is a good area or not.

There are plently of opportunities for inexpensive DIY hunts across the State. Or you can spend lots of money for a remote, fly-in hunt. Cost will be largely dependent on where you live.

I would be coming from NE Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by D3coy_duck View Post
    What unit would you guys recommend for bow hunting moose?
    In order to give an intelligent answer, you really need to give us more information. One of the primary questions is what type of hunt you're looking to do. Are you hoping to fly out, do a float hunt, or hunt on/near the road system? How much money are you willing to spend on this hunt? Giving a recommended unit or area is impossible without first considering these things.

It is hard to overstate how large Alaska is. While there are not moose in every unit, the majority of our game management units have moose, and most of those units have areas within them that offer good hunting. Various areas are the "best" option for different people depending on their preferences, budget, and goals. Are you hoping to harvest a trophy quality bull, or would you be happy with a smaller bull or possibly a cow? Are you looking for a bowhunting only area? What are your priorities with regards to solitude vs. access, cost vs. success rate, trophy quality vs. animal numbers.

Lots of things to consider. On that note, you might want to consider contacting a hunt planner. It's a little bit of money up front, but it will likely result in a much better experience.

I'm looking at trailering up my horses & packing in. I would like to hunt where I could pack in, set up a base camp & hunt from there using my horses to cover more ground than I could on foot. I'm in excellent shape & can easily do 15 miles a day on foot with a 50-60 pound pack. I'll consider a fly in trip but I would prefer to pack in using my horses.

Default you might do more research

15 miles on foot W/50-60 lb pack might be a little more dificult than you think in Moose country. Also remember you have to get it out, all of it, or trouble awaits. But again tring out thing your way is what Alaska is all about. We may all be looking to tag along with you on the horse's next year! There are some guys on this site who horse back hunt, they might help you get started. Good luck.

If you're going to be using horses, I would look seriously at the non-motorized CUAs (Controlled Use Areas). There are such areas in Units 7, 13, and 20 off the road system...and some others that I'm not thinking of at the moment. (Unit 11?) There are some excellent moose options if you've got horses, as most folks aren't willing to pack a moose out on their back more than a mile or two in a non-motorized area.

x2 what Brian said. Also you don't walk around moose hunting in most areas. It is actually rather boring but you just find a high spot do some calling and sit there with binoculars to your face. Do it until you go cross-eyed then take a break maybe do a bit more calling and then it's back to the bino's. All you are going to do beating the brush is prove that moose can hear and smell better than you can hide.

I've informed myself on how to call & effective hunting techniques. I'm certain I'll stand a decent chance of harvesting a decent bull if I get into the right area. I'm used to hunting public land for mature white tails & I understand that to get to prime country you have to get to remote area's where most hunters will not go. I think that applies to many game animals & not just deer, moose elk etc.. I'll be doing research on the Controlled Use Areas you guys mentioned. I figure if I get at least 5 miles off the beaten path then my odds go way up.

I'm looking at a area about 6 miles due west of Gulkana, AK. From the way it looks, it looks like good moose habitat from what I can tell. Here is a link,
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=6...52692&t=h&z=10

I'm not sure if it's unit 11 or 13. Perhaps one of you guys could clear that up for me & give me your thoughts on that area. From what I know from my research I think it would be best for me to try to catch the rut during the last 2 weeks of September. Does that sound about right to you guys?

I really appreciate the advice!

If I was going to drive all the way to AK with horses and only had two weeks to hunt then they would definitely be the last two weeks of the season.

I agree with your assessment on the 5 mile mark. There are very few hunters that will shoot a moose more than 5 miles from transportation. There are far fewer that will do it more than once!

I've informed myself on how to call & effective hunting techniques. I'm certain I'll stand a decent chance of harvesting a decent bull if I get into the right area. I'm used to hunting public land for mature white tails & I understand that to get to prime country you have to get to remote area's where most hunters will not go. I think that applies to many game animals & not just deer, moose elk etc.. I'll be doing research on the Controlled Use Areas you guys mentioned. I figure if I get at least 5 miles off the beaten path then my odds go way up.

I'm looking at a area about 6 miles due west of Gulkana, AK. From the way it looks, it looks like good moose habitat from what I can tell. Here is a link,
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=6...52692&t=h&z=10

I'm not sure if it's unit 11 or 13. Perhaps one of you guys could clear that up for me & give me your thoughts on that area. From what I know from my research I think it would be best for me to try to catch the rut during the last 2 weeks of September. Does that sound about right to you guys?

I really appreciate the advice!
    The area you're refering to is Unit 13A. 6 miles west of Glennallen you may be ok but you'll likely be competing with ATVs. Much farther west and it gets very wet and may be difficult terrain to navigate with horses. A USGS 7.5" topo map will give you a better feel for the amount of water in the area. Send me a PM and I can provide some suggestions on areas.

If I were a horseback hunter from out of state I would contact Claude "denalihunter" and see what he had to say on the subject...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If I were a horseback hunter from out of state I would contact Claude "denalihunter" and see what he had to say on the subject...
    Well...Claude is located right next to a CUA where horseback hunting would be great, but to hunt moose in Unit 13 as a non-resident, you have to win a drawing permit. If that is of interest, the drawing application period is during November and December for hunts taking place in 2011.

Default Horses

I'm looking at trailering up my horses & packing in. I would like to hunt where I could pack in, set up a base camp & hunt from there using my horses to cover more ground than I could on foot. I'm in excellent shape & can easily do 15 miles a day on foot with a 50-60 pound pack. I'll consider a fly in trip but I would prefer to pack in using my horses.
    Well I guess the info I relayed wasn't too much help, but I am sure you will get the right answers. Hope you can find a place to hunt with your horses as they would sure make packing in and out alot easier. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If I was going to drive all the way to AK with horses and only had two weeks to hunt then they would definitely be the last two weeks of the season.

I agree with your assessment on the 5 mile mark. There are very few hunters that will shoot a moose more than 5 miles from transportation. There are far fewer that will do it more than once!
    I assume you agree with my plan to hunt the last 2 weeks of September?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Well...Claude is located right next to a CUA where horseback hunting would be great, but to hunt moose in Unit 13 as a non-resident, you have to win a drawing permit. If that is of interest, the drawing application period is during November and December for hunts taking place in 2011.
    What CUA are you referring to? I'm open to options guys so do not think that any of my suggestions are written in stone. This is my dream hunt so I am willing to put forth the effort to go the extra mile in planning it as well as on the hunt. I'm just a simple hard working guy who has decided to live my dream hunt while I'm still young enough to do it.

Thanks a bunch guys you are by far the most helpful group of guys I have found on this subject & I am very grateful.

Also guys it was my idea to hunt using my horses for packing, etc.. If you think a float trip or something along those lines would fit the bill then just speak up. I by no means know much about the best way to go about it but I am putting forth my best effort to learn all I can before my hunt. My thing is I'm a working class guy who can't afford to drop 8K on a hunt. If I could that would be great but I have to do this on a budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast