Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: russian river

Default russian river

Whos going to the russian river opening weekend , I fly in on the 11th and expect to be there by 2

Ill be in the Area. Im staying away from the freak show campground though. June and I are gonna be hanging at quartz creek campground and floating the kenai.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'll be there at midnight, then I probably won't step foot in it again till August
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

When's opening day? I thought it was June 15th...

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    When's opening day? I thought it was June 15th...

Jon
    That's an interesting question. It says right on pps.50 - 51 of the regs that it's June 11th. I'm just curious where you got that info.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    That's an interesting question. It says right on pps.50 - 51 of the regs that it's June 11th. I'm just curious where you got that info.
    It used to be June 15th, Dave, so it's a pretty easy mistake to make. The 15th was always the opening date, but they moved it to the 11th sometime in recent memory - the early 2000s? Late 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It used to be June 15th, Dave, so it's a pretty easy mistake to make. The 15th was always the opening date, but they moved it to the 11th sometime in recent memory - the early 2000s? Late 90s?
    Well, gee, Brian. I guess that points out how important it is for each and everyone of us to get a copy of the regs and read them carefully for the area we plan on fishing. They are pretty readily available. If you're going on what you thought it was 10 or more years ago it might be time to get a copy and take a look at them. Don't you think?

I was curious if maybe they decided to issue an emergency order that changed it very recently. It is nice when people that know about an emergency order post it as soon as possible so that everyone knows about it.

Well, gee, Brian. I guess that points out how important it is for each and everyone of us to get a copy of the regs and read them carefully for the area we plan on fishing. They are pretty readily available. If you're going on what you thought it was 10 or more years ago it might be time to get a copy and take a look at them. Don't you think?
    No need to get on a guy over a pretty simple statement, Dave. He said he thought it was a certain date, and in fact he asked a question in his post. Not everyone has a copy of the regs right at the fingertips at every moment, and sometimes folks write on here just as they would have a conversation. If I was sitting down with Jon over coffee and we were talking about fishing for...say, tanner crab in Homer, I would probably say something along the lines of "I thought that it was open until March 15th, then it reopens sometime in July. What are the actual dates?" I would expect that Jon wouldn't chastise me for not owning a copy of the regs, but instead would understand that we're just a couple of buddies having a conversation, at which point he could tell me what the actual dates are.

He didn't advocate something illegal. He didn't make a definitive statement. The guy asked a question, Dave. Instead of chastising him, perhaps we could enlighten him without taking him to task. From what I know of his participation in the forums over the years, I'd bet any amount of money that he does have a copy of the regs and would consult them before fishing an area that he wasn't sure of.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    No need to get on a guy over a pretty simple statement, Dave. He said he thought it was a certain date, and in fact he asked a question in his post. Not everyone has a copy of the regs right at the fingertips at every moment, and sometimes folks write on here just as they would have a conversation. If I was sitting down with Jon over coffee and we were talking about fishing for...say, tanner crab in Homer, I would probably say something along the lines of "I thought that it was open until March 15th, then it reopens sometime in July. What are the actual dates?" I would expect that Jon wouldn't chastise me for not owning a copy of the regs, but instead would understand that we're just a couple of buddies having a conversation, at which point he could tell me what the actual dates are.

He didn't advocate something illegal. He didn't make a definitive statement. The guy asked a question, Dave. Instead of chastising him, perhaps we could enlighten him without taking him to task. From what I know of his participation in the forums over the years, I'd bet any amount of money that he does have a copy of the regs and would consult them before fishing an area that he wasn't sure of.
    Man, Brian. What do you have against me? All I was doing was asking the guy where he got that information just like I'd do in a conversation with my buddies over coffee. That's all. F&G issues emergency orders and I thought maybe he knew something we didn't know. That's all. I never implied he did something illegal. I didn't chastise him. I didn't "take him to task" as you say. I asked him a simple question.

If he had a question about the regs and he's even halfway knowledgeable about how convoluted they can be I'd think he would just take a look at them. What's so heinous about that? Once again you need to take a more moderate view of what I am saying and not assume I'm being combative.

Once again you need to take a more moderate view of what I am saying and not assume I'm being combative.
    Fair enough, Dave. I apologize for assuming you were being combative. Sometimes your responses to our long-term members seem like you're talking to them as though they don't know anything about fishing. For my incorrect reading of your posts, I apologize. It's nothing personal.

I'll be there. My folks are coming up and because of some craziness on their tickets they are going to be here early in June vs later but hoping to bring my dad down. He has health issues so we'll see if we can work it out. Pretty bummed it will be while the sanctuary is closed as it will make the river more crowded. Figure we'll be getting there around 5-6am. I will most likely be there even if he can't be. Would like to be able to send him home with some fresh reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashesta View Post
    I'll be there. My folks are coming up and because of some craziness on their tickets they are going to be here early in June vs later but hoping to bring my dad down. He has health issues so we'll see if we can work it out. Pretty bummed it will be while the sanctuary is closed as it will make the river more crowded. Figure we'll be getting there around 5-6am. I will most likely be there even if he can't be. Would like to be able to send him home with some fresh reds.
    Good thing I am going down there with ya that day so your dad will definetly get some fresh reds That is if the run is decent. Can't wait

No offense, but calm the **** down. I was down in the 48 last year during the opener and was just going by memory. Thus, why I asked the date.

Jon

Thumbs up

Save the bickering and fighting for the Russian River Opener. It will be more productive then.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Save the bickering and fighting for the Russian River Opener. It will be more productive then.
    It's not always combat fishing, Res. Here is a shot from opening morning last year - my friend teaching his son how to fish:

We were the only ones on this stretch of river for a couple of hours. Not a bad way to spend June 11th.

Default Rock

I recognize that rock he's standing on.

Quote Originally Posted by campingfoool View Post
    I recognize that rock he's standing on.
    Yeah, the spot is no secret, but it takes a minimal amount of effort. I'll leave the confluence, Cottonwood Hole, and the dreaded sanctuary to the masses.

I like that rock a lot...

Remember the upper river stays closed till the 15th (above the falls marker)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    No offense, but calm the **** down. I was down in the 48 last year during the opener and was just going by memory. Thus, why I asked the date.

Jon
    I'd have to say you need to "calm the **** down" as you so put it. As I said to Brian, it wasn't combative. If you know Alaska fishing ADF&G often posts emergency orders that can change a fishery in a moments notice. All I was asking was where you got the information you were stating. As I stated, I was just curious. Why do people just seem to take offense to any question I ask regarding regulations? If there was an emergency order that they had posted I would like to know about it, as I'm sure just about anyone that plans on fishing there would love to know too. That's all. Don't take offense to something that was not meant to offend. Please read Brian's response to what I had to say. Maybe you should follow suit.

And as Brian said, it hasn't been June 15th for many, many years. If you've fished there any time in the last 9 or 10 years it's been the 11th all that time.

I'd have to say you need to "calm the **** down" as you so put it. As I said to Brian, it wasn't combative. If you know Alaska fishing ADF&G often posts emergency orders that can change a fishery in a moments notice. All I was asking was where you got the information you were stating. As I stated, I was just curious. Why do people just seem to take offense to any question I ask regarding regulations? If there was an emergency order that they had posted I would like to know about it, as I'm sure just about anyone that plans on fishing there would love to know too. That's all. Don't take offense to something that was not meant to offend. Please read Brian's response to what I had to say. Maybe you should follow suit.

And as Brian said, it hasn't been June 15th for many, many years. If you've fished there any time in the last 9 or 10 years it's been the 11th all that time.

I'd say people take offense to the way you ask your questions, because you ask them like a jerk. You seem to get into it with folks in a number of threads on this board. Nothing personal and not to be rude, but maybe your just asking your questions the wrong way?

I never stated the 15th was opening day, I asked when it was (thought it was the 15th, wasn't sure, hence the question). That being said, the idea of them issuing an ER this early is unlikely. I've never even heard of F&G posting an ER this early that would effect the Russian. They barely have the sonar counters in the water for kings, much less reds.

As for your remark about me following suit to Brian's post- if your looking for an apology, I'd keeping looking.

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast