Thread: getting to Bettles

Default getting to Bettles

I'm looking into the possibility of a flyout hunt next year from Bettles. I see that a couple of smaller air services fly into there. I'd like to avoid a commercial service due to weight restrictions and game transport on the way home.
    I was wondering if there's a cheaper alternative since its on the road system. That being said, if I rent a vehicle from an outfit that will allow gravel road (haul road usage) I would end up paying allot of money for the time the vehicle would be parked in Bettles not being used. So here's my question. Is there any type of transport service (like a crew cab truck or van that could haul several of us up there from Fairbanks and come pick us up after the hunt for a reasonable amount of money?
    thanks for any suggestions,
    ds

Default bettles is not on the road system

Unless you can get a really good swamp buggy or are going in winter, you have to fly.

AKLefty,
    THAT is great information! Looks like we'll be flying if we hunt out of Bettles then.
    thanks for the info,
    ds

Drive to the airfield at the pump station. A transporter from BTT can hop over and pick you up there and deposit you.

Option 1: Fly into Fairbanks then take Wrights Air up to Bettles. If you're flying our with Brooks Range Aviation (BRA) the round trip is $270 plus $0.70/lb over 40 lbs and an additional $50 per set of antlers.

Option 2: Fly to Fairbanks then drive to Grayling Lake where Brooks Range Aviation will pick you up. This pickup will add $500 per person to your flyout price.

Bettles Air/Lodge pricing is very similar. I flew out with BRA last September, had a great hunt and great experience working BRA. I spoke with a few hunting groups in Bettles who flew with Bettles Air and were very happy. Both are great operations.

Sounds like "a hard day's night" to me! Jim