Thread: haul road early July?

Default haul road early July?

Has anyone ever gone up the Dalton in early July when the season first opens? I deploy in August when I would like to go and it looks like early July will be my only time to go this year. I usually go end of July to end of August. End of July has been hit or miss for me. August has been great. Thanks for any advice.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default I have

But, let me tell you all the caribou were way up North and the bugs were horrible. We did not harvest anything as all the caibou were on the other side of the Sag River. We even drove up to the little store all the way at the end to try to get a little raft just to get the meat back across incase we were lucky enough to harvest one and make the swim. Needless to say we were a 20 dollar raft away from caribou which was our conclusion of the hunt. This was The July 4th weekend in 2005 I believe.

never have hunted up here that early but work up that way.
    think bug dope, bug dope and head nets.
    they obviously will be soft horned.
    'bou tend to be on the coast or up higher where it might be cooler ...from the bugs.
    as stated always a good idea to have raft or canoe.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER