Thread: jack plate?

Default jack plate?

My 16'ft skiff has a 25hp Evinrude with a prop and whale tail set up to prevent cavitating. It works ok, but I'm not impressed with it's performance. Anyone know where I can get a jack plate to lower the prop another inch or so in the water? I haven't come across a jet unit deal yet so I'm trying the jack plate idea.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

First where in relation is your cavitation plate to the bottom of the boat? I've got a hydrofoil on my Merc 25 prop, and it does great, pops up on plane instantly. My plate is about 1/2" below the bottom. Now for a jack plate you have bobsmachine.com or another one I saw was tsgcustom.com.

Mine is about 1/4 inch above the bottom. The transom has already been cut a couple of inches down so I don't want to go any lower. Does your boat get squirrly when running full throttle? I saw those websites but I was hoping to find someone local. Thanks for the input.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

There are not alot of guys here in southcentral that deal with jack plates. I had the best success by talking to and dealing with a place in petersburg. Rocky's marine.
    Alot of guys down there use them and know alot about them. The one I have on my boat allows me to change out the lower unit and either run the prop or the jet unit.

Outboard Jet makes a transom mount that provides adjustment range to switch back and forth from jet to prop or anywhere in between. Dewey's usually has them in stock. I believe the plate has 8" of travel. I like mine!

Default Check Craigslist

I see there is still an ad for a manual one in yesterdays postings.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1744497861.html

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    Does your boat get squirrly when running full throttle? I saw those websites but I was hoping to find someone local. Thanks for the input.
    No, my boat doesn't get squirrly, but I did put a piece of 2x4 under the motor to act as a spacer between the top of the transom to see if I would benefit any with a jackplate and noticed that it did get squirrly then. It also got harder to steer (tiller). My cav plate ended up being about a 1/2" above the bottom of boat. With my lower unit being around 11" long that spacer didn't help much at all. So now I looking into a outboard jet for the river.