Thread: Suitable FPS for Moose and possibly Brown Bear

Default Suitable FPS for Moose and possibly Brown Bear

Ok this is a newbie question but here it goes. Do you guys think that a 450gr arrow at 280fps is suitable for moose and bear? I feel very confident that it is more than enough, but want a few more oppinions.
    Thanks

plenty, I was shooting a 390 grain arrow at 280fps. Did the job easily, its all shot placement, hit a moose in the shoulder bone with a 600 grain arrow going 320fps and it wont do the job,...hit em with a wood arrow going 180 fps in the pocket and it is game-over.

Default Placement

Ya, I figure placement is the biggest issue but where I was able to chrono my bow today. I also feel confident in my placement as well, due to a pesky critter interrupting my shooting that suddenly stopped. 4 inch moving target with a second to acquire. at 30yds. Talk about a confidence boost.

Default What bow/arrow are you shooting?

450 grain at 280 fps, means you probaby getting 350 fps on a 350 grain arrow. That is smoking momentum.

In any event, in my opinion your set up is more than adequate to kill anything in Alaska, IF you have a well placed shot. Your goal is not to get a pass through shot, but to have a well placed shot thru the vitals, to ensure a quick and clean kill.

You have plenty of time before moose season to get very confident at least out to 30 yards, and likely 40 yards. I have been shooting for 2 years, from a newbie in March 2008. All I have to say, practice, practice, practice. I am confident to 30 yard, pretty confident to 40 yards, and 50 yards there is too much variation in my placment to say I am confident. So, I say my effective range is about 35 yards.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have a couple pass through at 30 yards with my older martin at 270fps using 425 grain arrow combos
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Bow

I am shooting an 82nd with Easton Nano-Axis 300 spine. So the shaft is 325gr and the point is 125gr.

At about 40yds I can go 5 in 4", 50yds I begin to spread out while I try to steady myself after trying holding for 30sec. I want to make sure that I can hold a draw a bit longer if i have to. I am still working on getting comfortable with the 60yd range, were it is always the last one that I shoot I begin to shake shortly after draw (about 5sec).

You are producing 78(+) in KE - which is well within the band of excellence. I am shooting a little heavier arrow a little slower and pushing 76 in KE. Distance is the factor but heck yeah, pick a spot, relax and touch it off with full confidence!

I took down a moose with an 82nd no problem. Double lung heart shot with 30" Gold tip 7595 and G5 montec 125 broaheads. Complete pass thru and i found the arrow about 20 yards past where it made contact.

I shot those same easton arrows when I first got my 82nd, I eventually switched over to the gold tips and like them wayyyyy better than the easton nanos.

A 450 grain arrow going 200 FPS is going to get the job done..and it's done all the time.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by l@@kin_4_holes View Post
    Ok this is a newbie question but here it goes. Do you guys think that a 450gr arrow at 280fps is suitable for moose and bear? I feel very confident that it is more than enough, but want a few more oppinions.
    Thanks
    Yes...no problem.

Default Without Question

You have more than enough KE to kill any animal in North America with your setup. Keep shootin' and fine tuning. I like the fact that you are practicing your hold for 30 sec before shooting. That is something that takes practice and will definately pay off in the long run.

Good luck and Good Shootin'!

Ryan