Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda vs. Yamaha

Default Honda vs. Yamaha

Judging by my screen name I'm sure most would assume I'd go with Yamaha, but I'm looking at buying a new boat with a 90 hp 4 stroke and just can't decide which way to go. It's down to a Yamaha or Honda.
    Any opinions would be great.
    The boat will be used in Southeast Alaska, used year round.

Thanks in advance!

Well, considering you get a 6 yr warranty with Yamaha's right now I'd say its an easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Well, considering you get a 6 yr warranty with Yamaha's right now I'd say its an easy choice.
    I must be missing something. Everything on their website I see is 2 year for two-strokes and 3 year for four-strokes.
    Do you there's much difference in quality?

Thanks for the response.

Nope, just preference. This link is from yamaha's site on the warranty. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...o/turnKey.aspx

Thanks for the info AKbighorn. An extra three years would sure be nice.

My Suzuki has a 7 year warranty.

yamaha is the only way to go. better quality for one and the second just way they are designed. belts are on top for one. hondas are on the bottom. Easier to work on in that aspect even if just an emergency. Hondas need tuned out of the crate the yamahas don't. I think yamahas are the only way to go compared to hondas. Have not researched the other brands to much. Etec's are very well liked. Just do your research and look at how the motors are layed. to me a no brainer. Pop the cowlings and take a look. I wanted to know what i was buying. Dewies have their boat show on this weekend. Can look at a lot of motors and set ups.

Default repower

I don't think you can go wrong with either. To me it would come down to available service. If service is available for both, I would go with the yamaha. I had twin F100's on the old boat. 1000 hours and never had any major problems. Yamahas will be going on the back of the new boat, too.

Default Honda

When I powered up my boat I went with the Hond BF90. I figured that if it was good enough for the Honda Civic (same engine) it was good enough for the boat. I have had a Honda 30, ATV, snow blower, powerwasher and gold dredge. Not one has ever failed me.

The Honda75 is the same block as the 90. Always starts in the spring, great on gas and oil. With my 21' Aurora I can run out to the gulf, spend 1-2 days and make it back on less than one tank (60 gal.). Last deer hunt for 2 days I only burnt 42 gallons.

Buy Honda!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I would base my choice on which dealer is closest to you and offers the better service.
    Tennessee

You can not go wrong with either motor. Like Snowwolfe "I would base my choice on which dealer is closest to you and offers the better service."

Longer warrenty you get with Yamaha(6 yr) would play a big factor in me buying a yamaha.
    I have twin 115 and love them. They run so quite and smooth.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Go with Honda

I maintain both honda and yamaha outboards....mainly the 225 hp 4 stroke. I disagree with some of the other posts...Our yamaha are plagued with problems...usually only lasting 2500 hours before they come apart..... My biggest dislike about the Yamaha are the seperate throttle bodies for each cyl., while Hondas have one main thottle body. Each one of the yamaha throttle bodies need to be linked and tuned to one another or they run like crap. Every honda i've seen the belts have been on top like the yamaha. Our hondas just keep going.......Just my 2 cents....
    Last edited by AndrewK; 01-20-2007 at 10:27. Reason: spelling

Thank you guys for all the responses! I'll take them all into consideration. Shoot, I think it might come down to what color I like better The day I'll be at the boat show is in a week from today, and still not 100% sure which one I'll go with.

Default Depends

Like anything, it depends on the size you are buying and how you will use it. I know that the Coast Guard had to switch the 225 hp from Yamaha to Honda. I did not talk to their mechanics but their boat operator said that the Yamaha was quieter and a little better all around when it ran. However, when they had a need to go fast for more than a few minutes the Yamaha enginges broke down. They have not had that problem with the Honda. Just my 2 cents.

Default Go Honda

I have never had a Yamaha, but I can tell you the Honda is a super outboard. Dependable, always started, never fouled a plug or failed in any way after 100's of hours on each of the 3 I had. The price maybe a little higher, but they hold a high used value.

Default Go Honda

I have never had a Yamaha, but I can tell you the Honda is a super outboard. Dependable, always started, never fouled a plug or failed in any way after 100's of hours on each of the 3 I had. The price maybe a little higher, but they hold a high used value.
    The Goverment started up the big brands and let them run, the Honda ran for 6000 hours.

The one down side of the Honda is the weight, it is by far the heaviest 90 horse engine and if your boat is on the lighter side, this might cause some trim problems. The Honda is also signifigantly more expensive.

Basically for the same weight and cost as the honda 90 you can get a yammy 115, or a yammy 90 and a 10 horse kicker.

I'm a big fan of Honda power equipment and have had excellent experiences through the years with various honda powered items. That said I can't see them being enough better to justify their high cost in o/b's.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post

The Honda75 is the same block as the 90. Always starts in the spring, great on gas and oil. With my 21' Aurora I can run out to the gulf, spend 1-2 days and make it back on less than one tank (60 gal.). Last deer hunt for 2 days I only burnt 42 gallons.

Buy Honda!
    I was not very impressed with Honda gas mileage. I have a 22" wooldridge with a 150 OMC Ficht on it. A friend of mine has a 21" Alweld with a Honda BF90 on it.

Our annual Moose hunting trip upriver takes us anywhere from 400 miles up to about 600 miles up. We have one spot that we will always stop and spend some time looking around for a moose. It is about 375 miles upriver from Bethel. Well I can run that 375 miles on 80 gallons of gas with my 150 while it takes my friend the very same 80 gallons to run that 375 miles with his BF90. I do it in 10 hours, takes him 14. My Wooldridge outweighs his Alweld by several hundred pounds and is carrying close to 2,500 pounds of people, fuel and camping/hunting equipment. I run my 150 at a steady 4200 RPM and he is running his 90 at 5,000 to 5200 just to try and stay with me. As I said, not impressed with his gas mileage.

If it were me, I'd go with more horsepower so you are not working the engine so much.

Allen,

I'd say his problem isn't the engine, his problem is too much weight for the engine. Engines should be sized to cruise at ~4000 rpm. If the engine is too small for the boat and has to be run at 5000 rpm, fuel consumption will go through the roof. I'd venture to say if he had a 130-140 horse and was running it @ 4000 rpm he'd be using noteably less fuel.

Default What Prop

Prop pitch makes a bit difference too. With the pitch right now as it is I loose top end speed, but get her up on plane quicker with a load. I also switched from a three to a four blade prop. The three was not getting enough bite in the water. Your friend might want to try a prop switch.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast