Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: distance between stations

Default distance between stations

i found a place i'd like to bait but another hunter found it first how far should i be from his station but legally and morally

Default Years ago...

Currently there are no legal requirements for a distance between sites (that I'm aware).

Legal site placement is based upon distance from the road (1/4 mile), distance from a publicly maintained trail (400 meters) and distance from a cabin or home (1 mile).

If memory serves, 8 or so years ago, there was a 'rule/law' that required stations to be 1/4 mile (400 meters) apart.

Regarding ethics; good luck on that one. Some folks feel that 100 feet is fine, others aren't sure that Alaska is big enough for the two of us (grin).

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i like at least 1/2 mile prefer a mile....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If I'm aware of another site I try to get about a mile away. Doesn't always go as planned though. Sometimes you think you have a secret honey hole and discover another bait 400yards away. Pretty much it's an unwritten rule of baiting. Try not to set up on top of someone elses bait.

Try to be at least 1/2 mile. It really sucks when you are super close to each other and your sharing bears. But at the very minimum 1/4 mile is satisfactory.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

one thing to consider when to near some one is that big bear on your camera will wander back and forth between the two bait all night long...and you may well loose your chance at him... where as if your off some distance he will hang by yours and bed a few hundered yards off
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Another thing to consider is that a high power bullet will travel over a mile.

I myself would'nt want to be that close to two people shooting at the same time.

It's a pretty big State with a lot of bears the further the better.

Default bait distance

I agree with most 1/2 of mile or better. I know where I am hunting there are a lot of people popin up real close to me. I have been there for 2 years with not a sole in sight. This year not so much. I guess someone thouught it was a good idea to cut a freakin path so that everyone can travel now. I hear 4wheelers non freakin stop.

Think about it from the bears point of view. Would a bear be inclined to hold on one isolated bait station, Well YES, but only if it is stocked daily.

I think one of the big mistakes baiter's make is they restock on Wednesday Night, and hunt on Saturday, then restock on the next Wednesday.

I know that these bears, here make a "NEW" trail every year to any NEW station. They rarely come out to the power line to move from one free meal to the next, they can smell the next station, and if frustrated with the results at hand, they just follow their nose.

I think results here are a function of luck and hours or days hunter is on his station. I Have never baited, but I feel sure that if I had two stations among the 25 or 30 with-in two miles of my cabin, that I could harvest three bears a week, just buy virtue of being able to sit them three or four times per day. (Too bad I gave up my Guiding License).

Anyway I suggest results are from more hours and days at your station hunting, than the distance from another station. In fact all other near stations are a real plus, it just pulls more bears to you, but you have to be there. Please NOTE: I really know NOTHING about bear baiting.......But I know a lot about bear behavior, so maybe I am full of poop.

Default Lack of respected for fellow hunters

I just posted about someone setting up just down from me. Well I am going through my camera and come to find out that 2 guys were walking all over my baiting area 15 minutes before I got in there. I have plenty of signs posted that say im there and yet they still walk around my stuff and then sit 300-400 yards away from my stand. Maybe I should put out a fee station like the parks do for parking. Its just a matter of common sense and respect for fellow hunters. Alaska is big enough that people can give each other a lil room.

thnaks for the information i should have added that the area i hunt it's very difficult to be 1 mile from a house and .25 from a trail or road and still be close enough to maintain a station i'll probably try to contact the other hunter and see if we can work something out or ask to share his station

Monster, try getting a little further out.

It would be a bad day when something goes wrong because of an eraint shot.

I understand the furstration of so many hunters in one spot, just be careful.

Once you pull that trigger, you can't take it back.

You mentioned it being hard to be over a mile from a house, might want to check the regs because if I read them right last year you need to be. ( and thats as a crow flys)

NewJeeper. PM sent.

Nothing like a kick in the teeth when you see someone lurking around your station on your cam pics! Lazy bums don't want to put in the effort and hard work to do it legally.
    I have heard of a couple illegal bait stations that have my product hanging in a tree. When I heard the news, I asked for the coordinates. I'll take care of that! This really chaps my cheeks It would be great to see a post of my pic... look who was walking through my station.... BUSTED
    We are about a half mile from the next station with a couple pretty good sized hills in between.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

I like to be atleast 1/2 mile or more, luckily in my area I am the only baiter for miles. Had one guy bait about 1/2 mile away from me last year but he only baited for like 2 weeks and he was gone(he also left some trash behind...).

So far, the closest that i know (from conversation) is a couple guys heading up the same trail but branching of the west while i'm off to the east. Never said no more about distance. I just hope that if there is any others in the area, they put up signs like i do. I got 3 signs (other than my bait cert) easily 200yds around my bait. We'll see how long they last (a couple weeks so far).

Seems to be a trend. We went out to our stand the other day ( which we made our own trail to ) about 250 yds before us. Also there stand was 10 yds off of the trail... sweet. Oh yea... Not regesterd.

Da bears coulda took their bait sign. Did it look like it had been hit?

First hit of the year and the bears shredded my bait registration and sign for me. This seems to happen every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast