Thread: greenhouse/hothouse

Default greenhouse/hothouse

Hi, just wondering if anyone is starting to put their stuff into their greenhouse/hothouses yet? My tomatoes were starting to get rootbound and looking bad, so I put mine in my hothouse today. figured either they may die in the house or they could have a chance in the hothouse. temps are supposed to be in the 60-70's here in Fairbanks/North Pole now and in the 40's at night. Guess we'll see what happens.

My father has had his tomatoes in his greenhouse for two or three weeks now. Granted, we're in Southcentral, but it has been cooler here than in the interior. We've hit 34 in the mornings recently, but his tomatoes are doing fine.

Hey there,I'm in south central and I put my tomatoes in the greenhouse a few days ago,I use a little heat at night,a little chilly yet,they
    look great!

Well, woke up this morning and my thermometer showed it right under 30. I was real nervous so grabbed my coffee and headed out to the hothouse. I was afraid of what I was going to see, but to my surprise, the tomatoes and peppers that I put out look fine. Whew, I was a little nervous. Hope everyone elses stuff is still looking good!!!

Default You're fine

As long as your green house gets good and worm during the afternoon/eve you should be fine as long as we dent get too low (20-25 or so).

If you dont have an electric heater, you can use a couple candles in a coffee can. It really doesnt take much heat this time of year to keep the grerenhouse warm enough. I se the coffee can just to be SURE of not fire opps'

Are you ready to transplant outside yet?
    Today, it was 74 in our part of North Pole.
    Lurker.

Yup took the plunge yesterday and planted some tomatoes in the greenhouse. It is double walled so stuff should be able to withstand a minor dip in temps and I can also cover the hooped beds with an additional layer of plastic or fabric if it looks like it is really gonna chill at night.

It has been 80 the past several days and the lows have been around 40-45 and I just couldn't resist. Those plants were outgrowing their little pots and really needed some real dirt.

Now the questions is should I hold off with the cucumbers and squash? or put them in the greenhouse too.

Forecasts for my area is it's gonna be hot and close to the 80's for the next few days.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Grandma, I just put 4 tomato plants and 4 cucumber, and some cuiliflower ( that I thought was Broc.) in the greenhouse today.

Now that I have planted the C. might try to make it into a fair contestant

Need to go get some peppers tomorrow.

I would try to do a cabbage, but the house is'nt big enough.

I decided with the advice of a good friend to hold off planting the rest of the greenhouse until after the full moon (but that is tomorrow, won't be holding off too long ). Figured it might make for some good plant vibes for the whole season if I waited.

Rock, way to go to get some things planted too. I plant the cauliflower, broccoli, and small Golden Acre cabbage in the outside garden. The Golden Acre cabbage are nice since they are fairly small plants and I can plant them fairly close together, but they still produce a good sized dense cabbage, so I get more for my small garden space.

Was 34 for a short time last night, but the greenhouse stuff is doing fine.

Gotta shovel up the potato patch today...won't be too much fun in 80F temps.

Just might have to take a dunk in the river when I am finished.
    Going swimming, now that will give me some motivation to get out here and get some work done in the garden...
    Grandma Lori

Ok, now sure how everyone is doing with the planting, but my stuff is doing great in the greenhouse and even in the garden. Started planting the garden this past weekend as the temps are what they usually are the beginning of June. I fully planted my greenhouse last week and it is thriving. I do have a bunch of plastic left from building my hothouse, so I figured if it's going to drop at night, I can cover the stuff i put in the garden.

Grandma, you should be fine putting your other stuff in your greenhouse. Like I said, my stuff is doing great. They are calling for it to be near to in the 80's the rest of the week and then back down to 78. I couldn't hold off getting my stuff out of the house any longer, so out it went and it's all doing great. Now, hopefully it doesn't drop on us.

Good luck to all of you with your planting. Hopefully we all get a lot of good veggies here in a couple of months.

Finally got all my green house planted on saturday. We actually used less space then we thought. I still have a couple empty pots. So my wife is going to plant her herbs there.

I've got a little extra room in my greenhouse for some potted plants/herbs too. Going to try to get those little guys transplanted and in there today. Can't waste any space.

Grandma Lori

Just checking in to see how everyones greenhouse/hothouses are doing. My tomato hothouse that I just built is about to be over run and little tomatoes all over the place. I am starting to think I should have built it bigger. Oh, well, still got plenty of 6mil plastic left and the pvc pipe was way cheap...an upgrade may be in order for next year.

My greenhouse stuff is taking off also. Raddishes and scallions are about ready. Peppers have little flowers about to open and I have my first cucumber. the greenbeens have little half inch beans on them now. Grow baby grow!!!

the stuff in the garden is doing well also. Still been a bit cool here the past few weeks in North Pole after our couple of weeks of being in the 80's, but I don't usually notice a whole lot of growth in the garden until about July anyways.

Let us all know how your stuff is doing.

Have flowers on tomatos, and the cucumbers,( lots on the cucs, lol) but nothing to eat yet.

Same here Rock, we got tomato and cucumber flowers too.

Plenty of chives to harvest and rhubarb. Radishes are ready to thin and eat.
    First salad (leaf lettuce, kale and Swiss chard) tonight.

Grandma Lori

We've got some small tomatoes on the vine, the strawberries and raspberries have got flowers. Which is kind of surprising to me seeing how cold and wet it's been for the last week or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did a foto friday post on my blog www.aknovicegarden.blogspot.com with all kinds of greenhouse pictures. Our tomatoes are just starting to bloom.