Thread: Super, duper master reloading set (what else?)

Default Super, duper master reloading set (what else?)

OK, I will be ordering the ABC's of reloading to go along with this setup but I know I will need odds and ends. I grabbed the big-ol-box o' reloading stuff from bigPhil on the swap and sell and another forum member is going to tote it down to the valley for me so that I have it about the time I return from the sand box. That said I am sure there are some odds and ends that I will need to round out the set and I am looking for ideas so I don't spend 1/2 the summer waiting on bits and pieces!

Here's what I got:
    RCBS Rockchucker press
    RCBD Partner press
    RCBS priming tool
    2X RCBS Powder Measures with precision adjustment
    RCBS scale
    3X RCBS reloading blocks
    Trickle powder measure
    Forster case trimmer
    RCBS Lube pad
    200 .223 Win. cases unused
    200 .308 Win case unused
    500 rnds Point .45 230Gr. FMJ bullets
    RCBS .40cal carbide dies
    RCBS .45cal carbide dies
    RCBS .308 neck size die
    Hornady .223 full length dies

I plan on starting with the 308 since I am most of the way there but ultimately I have a WSM fetish and it is too expensive to uphold so that is the primary purpose for this venture. I want to get set up for 325WSM, 270WSM, and fairly soon 25WSSM and perhaps 300 OSSM.

I seem to recall that there are cartridge specific dies for the forster, I imagine that they will have to be ordered, also a good set of (inexpensive) calipers but I am sure I am missing stuff.

From my reading H414 seems like a good powder for all of the fat WSM/WSSM cases but not so much for the 308. I would like to find a good powder that would do well in the 308 but also work for 30-30, 7mag and 223 if such a beast exists.

Are primers still impossible to find? Should I order a bunch now? I know I will need winchester LRM for the 325 &270 and my Hornady load manual calls for federal 210m for the 308, and Win LR for my 7mm, 30-30 and a future 25wssm.

Any way, you get the idea I am trying to take what I have and compile a shopping list to get to where I need to be.

Last edited by LuJon; 05-15-2010 at 04:59. Reason: added picture

Default small tools?

I don't see the Chamfer and Deburring tool or tools, they may be in there as part of the kit and he didn't think to list them, I ordered a shallow angle chamfer tool (for smoothing inside of case neck after trimming) from Midway I think, it was a Lyman and tho real cheap like $6 I really like it and it makes sense to me for smooth bullet seating, if there is no deburring (outside of case neck)tool you'll need that as well,

another that may be in there is a powder funnel, Oh, I just looked at the picture of your setup and funnel is there but can't tell on the ChamDeburr tool maybe someone can recognize one in there.

Maybe your forster trimmer has a Cham/deburring bit on it as well, so it does that job as it trims?

Primers seem not so hard to find right now but are really cheap to stock up on so before you come up get all you can, they are hazmat tho which is another reason to get 'em before you come to AK ship 'em to yourself(by the 1000 lot for sure) approx $4/100 in Anch lately

Some of these more experienced guys will probably chime in in the morning

PS you might check "reloading cost recovery, I think" a thread I did on the cost of startup and addons for my 270wsm, for ideas, don't be blown away by my "all new" costs, You Are already $100's ahead of my original with your setup there, but there are a lot of little addons you might run by some of the other guys to see if you really need them, case lubes and things like that
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Here's what I got:
    RCBS Rockchucker press
    RCBD Partner press
    RCBS priming tool
    2X RCBS Powder Measures with precision adjustment
    RCBS scale
    3X RCBS reloading blocks
    Trickle powder measure
    Forster case trimmer
    RCBS Lube pad
    200 .223 Win. cases unused
    200 .308 Win case unused
    500 rnds Point .45 230Gr. FMJ bullets
    RCBS .40cal carbide dies
    RCBS .45cal carbide dies
    RCBS .308 neck size die
    Hornady .223 full length dies

I seem to recall that there are cartridge specific dies for the forster, I imagine that they will have to be ordered, also a good set of (inexpensive) calipers but I am sure I am missing stuff.
    I'd add a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax (<$8) and a good caliper (Starrett approx-$125) for starters.

For reloading purposes a cheap ($20) set of calipers will work fine and if you drop them you'll only be out $20. If you want more accuracy get a China made mic as it will be more accurate than anybodys calipers and still cheap.

"From my reading H414 seems like a good powder for all of the fat WSM/WSSM cases but not so much for the 308. I would like to find a good powder that would do well in the 308 but also work for 30-30, 7mag and 223 if such a beast exists.
    Are primers still impossible to find? Should I order a bunch now? I know I will need winchester LRM for the 325 &270 and my Hornady load manual calls for federal 210m for the 308, and Win LR for my 7mm, 30-30 and a future 25wssm. "

H414 is ok, But I prefer RL 17-22 for the WSM's. The slower RL powder's will also work well in your 7mm mag. I had great success with Varget in the 308 and 223. It is a very universal medium burning powder that has many uses. Never tried Winchester primers but use a lot of Remingtons and Federal 215's. CCI's are good as well but they have a reputation for being more difficult to ignite but thats usually a non issue. Plan on spending about $500-$1,000 to get stocked with basic primers and powders. It helps to have different powders on hand for load experimenting.

Primers are pretty easy to find at SW. Try to stay with one brand for each size as it will make it easier down the road.
    Tennessee

I think you have some of this stuff in the pictures but can't be sure.

• Calipers - Cheap is okay.
    • Deburing tool
    • Shell Holders to go with the Dies - It is kind of nice to have 2 of each so you can leave one on the priming tool.
    • Powder funnel to fill cases - I also like to have a larger funnel to help return powder to the jug.
    • For the Forester trimmer - Need collets each covers 3 cartridge head sizes and the Number 1, 2, and 3 collets cover about everything common except the 45-70. You will also need pilots for the trimmer which are caliber specific. Forester uses the same pilot shank size as Redding trimmers so either will work. You may also want to get a power adapter to replace the handle on the trimmer so you can use a drill or electric screw driver to turn it.
    • Reloading manual - ABC's of reloading is good for how to do things but does not have a loads section.

Stuff you may want:

• I like to use Lee dippers over the powder measures you have for stick powders, they are cheap so you may want to get a set.
    • A vibratory, or tumbler cleaner is nice to have but not completely needed.
    • Primer pocket uniformer tools - I reloaded some without them and will never to so again. I have really liked my Sinclair Carbide ones.
    • Flash hole deburring tool - I am not sure it really helps much with accuracy but it makes it easier to deprime with a punch.
    • Lee punch type deprimer - I really like to deprime with a punch and clean before resizing. This keeps and grit that may have gotten on the cases away from the dies.

On what powder to get I would just look though your reloading manual and look at what powders are in the top half of velocities listed to the bullets you want to load. Make a list of all that seem okay and go buy a pound of whatever you find first. I thought I could get away with just one powder (H4350 for my 30-06) when I started, but quickly could not resist getting a pound of a few different things just to try now I have 6 different powders a use for different things, though H4350 is still my main working powder.

Does Arctic Ammo carry most of this stuff? I was hoping to be able to send them an email and have them set it aside for me if possible. I am trying to avoid having more stuff shipped to the house. The wife is voicing her annoyance with having to stand in line for a package every time she goes to the post office. I would hate to inundate her with a bunch of little things from Midway when I could just have her drop by a shop while she is out and pick up everything at one time.

Get some Reloader 15 for the .308, and since I figure early success is the best teacher, get a box each of 150 and 165 gr balistic tips. I don't care for bt's for hunting, but they will group well under 1" for 3 shots unless your gun has a problem, so are great bullets for learning the basics. RL 15 is also a good powder for heavier bullets in the .223, but for 50's, H-335 is an outstanding .223 powder.

Just don't get hung up on the one or two powders for everything bandwagon. Those powders that cover a broad range of chamberings often don't work paticularly well for individual applications. What's the point of handloading if you don't get steller accuracy and the velocity potential of the round you're loading?

PS, do research on each round you are loading for and find out what is the most popular powder and bullets. You'll save yourself alot of time and component $ by cutting to the chase. That's why I say pick a powder known to work well.

Hotshot is the easiest case lube I've ever used.

The folks at arctic ammo are great. Make sure they know you're a forum member. They'll take good care of you. Boondocks in Eagle River is also another great source for reloading gear and most of the guys that work there reload, so they can answer questions, and address concerns you might have.

You might want to think about getting a chronograph too....

Yeah, been looking at a lead sled for a while probably gonna make that happen when I get back. perhaps a chronograph too... I don't think I will ever be an obsessive hand loader. I will probably work up a couple loads that work well in each rifle and just reproduce them when the stock gets low. I have a funny feeling that's what a lot of you guys said once too though, so time will tell.

LuJon
    We do carry all the small items that you will nead to finesh out your super duper set. We have it in new and used so if you only want to spend say $15 on a set of calipers we can set you up. Just give us a call and we will set aside any supplies and components that you are looking for. If you have any strange request I am more then willing to order them for you.

Sterling

I am all for a shop that puts customer service first but how strange are you willing to go

I am going to be swatting sand flies for another month or so but will hopefully be leaving the land of Allah and returning to gods country around mid June. I will make a list off of this thread and give you a call before I head home so I can swing by and pick it up. That will give me a chance to hang out and let you sell me some more stuff too.

Well I do have my limits.... I think

Sterling