Thread: A reminder on hand gun safety

RMK

Default A reminder on hand gun safety

Today's accidental shooting of a three year old in Anchorage is a sad reminder for all to practice gun safety.

iam a loss for words ..please be safe around childern my friends

More correctly..."negligent" shooting.

What ever the terminology you want to use it is a tragic event to say the least. Before my daughter was born I went to SW and bought a safe. Nothing special nor expensive but a pain to move any way you look at it. Safes can be purchased at reasonable prices and keep the guns locked up and out of the hands who do not need to be handling them. If you can afford a gun and ammo you can afford a safe.

Some people keep a gun close to the night stand, but if you ask me a better option is up high and out of reach of the little ones with an empty chamber and a loaded mag.

Default What's the story?

I don't get the paper, what happened there?

Negligent shooting, gunsafes, who was shooting?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

The story states that a father left a handgun on a table (end table, night stand, etc.?), and the three-year-old child reportedly shot himself; dead on the spot.

The story further stated that the father tried to revive the little feller, but that when EMTs arrived, the kid was shortly thereafter declared deceased.

There's no undoing that sort of permanence; either the permanence in the mind and heart of the person who left the gun laying around, and who will live with that knowledge for ever, or the permanence of the absence of the urchin.

I've kept loaded guns around for ever, having stated more than a few times that "an unloaded gun is just an expensive club." That said, I've tried to be conscientious of my kids' ages, and kept the things up high when my kids were too young to correlate the large exit wounds on the meat I'd bring home, the permanence of death, and the gun as the source of both.

But even after they've gone on to become young growing (bigger) kids, capable of thinking about gun safety and the no-refund nature of death, I've thought about the fact that kids will fight, and one can't predict when one kid will have a fit of anger over some slight or another. I've considered that aspect of having guns around, too.

I still keep guns loaded, though fewer than many years ago; I only need one or two now, as opposed to the whole arsenal.

Rest in peace, little one. I didn't know you or your folks, and maybe your premature exit saved you from some experience even more horrendous. but it's always more than tragic when one so young departs so needlessly, and persons are left to carry that sort of guilt for a life-time.

gun left on coffee table loaded and unattended..... 3yr old plays with gun ...

This was the story I got from the victims next door neighbors daughter , luckily her mom was on vacation at the time ( I don't think her heart could have handled the loss had she been there at the time. )

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

that gun owner needs to be put in front of a firing squad. a real irresponsable moron, for his stupidity cost a 3 year old his life.
    Semper Fi!

Default What the .....?

I cannot remotely imagine that level of thinking....

Certainly that gun owner will be punished severely and forever just living with that decision,

Unless he/she or both(?) was intoxicated on something, which is the only way I can imagine that, which in turn deserves something much greater than conscience punishment.

Should just say, "I have no comment but, God Have Mercy," on that level of foolishness.

I currently have a three yr old and an eight yr old, and they have both seen and been taught to the level of their ability to understand what an Entrance AND Exit wound on a Deer looks like as well as all the blood surrounding.

Very powerful visual for guys who love to watch Rat Patrol reruns.
    PAY ATTENTION DADS, They want to be just like YOU
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

This type of tragedy is exactly why we have 1911 style weapons for personal defense rather than revolvers! It takes a split second to rack a slide but my 3 year old cant do it. His hand also can't push down the frame safety very easily while pulling the trigger. My 7 year old shoots the darn thing and knows exactly what it is capable of and doesn't touch it.

That said, I don't understand the mob mentality to throw the book at everyone who makes a monumental mistake such as this. Odds are he wishes he was dead right now. Do an investigation of course but if it boils down to a father making a monumental mistake then what more is prison going to do? Make his family destitute and further ruin already shattered lives?

I saw several cases that blew me away while down in the states. Mom and son asleep on the couch kid gets up slips away to go sneak a snack in the kitchen. Cant reach the cookies so he opens the oven steps on the door and the whole thing tips over on him killing him. Mom charged with involuntary manslaughter, child endangerment, and neglect!

Similar deal, young kid playing in the den, mom making snacks in the kitchen. Comes back to the room and finds the back door open. Goes outside and looks around, nothing, walks around house hears screeching tires and her daughter is killed. She was charged with child endangerment.

At what point do we just offer our condolences and understand that there is nothing we can do to punish that person more than they are currently punishing themselves?

Default Gee how many more "accidents" are we going to have?

I'm reminded of the ass hat that "accidentally" shot his girlfriend while cleanin' his rifle...(conveniently LOADED & POINTED RIGHT AT HER!)...Another "accident" where a child stood up in front of a father while he was shooting...Hell, even here in Marshall, an unattended kid "accidentally" shot his lil' brother, IN THE CHEST & now this one...a LOADED gun, out in the open & a unattended child...

Alaska, one of the only states where you can get away with "accidental" shooting someone & walk away...scary, scary indeed...

I understand your comment entirely, Lujon. And it was well stated.

In my post I repeatedly referred to the story as 'stating' something, rather than assuming that all the aspectsof the story are accurate. An investigation may or may not reveal the truth to be what was depicted in the press. I'm often skeptical.

As a commenter in the Fbks Daily News Miner wrote, "What more could he be charged with that could possibly be worse than what he's already charged himself with?", or something to that effect.

We're a litigious society, and we tend to want our pound of flesh.

I have to admit that if it were my child staying over night at another's home, and this had ioccurred, I'd propbably be a flesh-seeker myself.

How many of us, when our kids stay at another's home, inquire about loaded weapons, storage practices, availability of unlocked liquor/alcohol or drugs (be they recreational, illicit, or Rx)? How many of us inquire if the other parents will be present at ALL times while our child is there? How many of us inquire whether or not the adults present will be sober during our child's stay?

Should those of us who fail to ask those pertinent-yet-prying questions also be charged with negligence in the event something happens to our kid(s)?

If this fellow's story turns out to be accurate, and assuming he has even an average conscience, he's living in hell right now, and may be doing so until the day he dies.

I'm guessing a GSR test has already been performed, right off the bat, though it's my understanding that they're easily fooled.

In the end, there's likely a family/husband and wife going through a day that no one should ever wish on their worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    that gun owner needs to be put in front of a firing squad. a real irresponsable moron, for his stupidity cost a 3 year old his life.
    That's how I feel. Negligence...not accidental. Accidental implies a lot less personal responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    At what point do we just offer our condolences and understand that there is nothing we can do to punish that person more than they are currently punishing themselves?
    LuJon, I understand your point...except I have met people who wouldn't lose a nights sleep over the (so-called) "accident".
    In fact they would try to spin/rationalize it into "I told that darn child NOT to touch that gun...it's HIS own fault"...or some such.

You know, these are the same people you see at wal-mart, blocking the isle with their shopping cart, while talking on the cell phone. While their child goes unattended and runs wild and undisciplined in the store.
    A Tragedy of the SELF ABSORBED.

You know these folks...It's always "someone elses" fault...and "the world revolves around ME". Those people.
    Most "normal" folks THINK about the consequences...and take action(s) to prevent it.

Time to pay up...for the lack of attention. Tears are just one of MANY punishments that guy deserves.

RIP, little one.