Thread: Newbie Shrimper!

Default Newbie Shrimper!

Ok, well... I bit the bullet. I've owned my boat for 5 years now, and it's always been in Homer. I have family there, free parking year round, a house to invade, a yard for my dogs to run in, a deck to grill on and have cigar, and I've been fishing the waters there for 20+ years. But... in this day and age with prices of fuel, payments, insurance and whatnot I figured I gotta start making the boat work a little harder for it's keep.

I blew a disk in my back at work last year and lost all last summer... so this year I bough an Electradyne puller from PotBuilder (Thanks Steve!! AWESOME Puller!!). I also picked up a couple of his pots, brought the boat (Swissy Baroo) back to Anchorage, and installed the puller.

Thursday my brother managed to get the day off,and since he crews the Coastie Auxiliary boat in Whittier, he knows the area and agreed to show me around. The water was not so great, and we got a late start, so we only launched and ran across the canal to the waterfalls. It was only an exploratory trip to learn how to bait pots, drop them, and pull them back up. So once we finally dropped them, we ran around the area looking for some rockfish to jig. Finding just a couple, it looked like the water was not getting any better so after just 1.5 hours we went back and found my buoys (did I have too much line? would we find them on shore? Was my line too short? where the pots adrift in Passage Canal? LOL) We found them, right where we dropped them, and proceeded to learn how to use the puller. Steve, you are the MAN! I love this thing... makes the worry about blowing my back out again a thing of the past. Anyways, even after just 1.5 hours, and at the waterfalls right where there were loads of other buoys we still managed to grab about 3/4 - 1 gallon of shrimp. Seeing that first pot pop up with some color in it was awesome! I cannot WAIT to have a pot show up full.

Those things are soooooo tasty on the grill. A little butter, garlic and wow! I have never had fresh from the ocean never frozen shrimp, and OH.My.GOD they were good. I tried some in the sealer with the styrofoam trays and it worked flawlessly. Can't wait to pull some out when it's -20 out!

Anyways, just wanted to share my excitement. And plug Steve a little... his service, his pots and his puller are top notch. I even got a skookum camera mount for the boat to video pulling pots ala 'Deadliest Catch'. Can't wait to post one of an overflowing shrimp pot! With any luck I'll be able to make a number of trips and find some better shrimping holes between now and the first week of June when I take the Baroo back down to Homer for King trolling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    Ok, well... I bit the bullet. I've owned my boat for 5 years now, and it's always been in Homer. I have family there, free parking year round, a house to invade, a yard for my dogs to run in, a deck to grill on and have cigar, and I've been fishing the waters there for 20+ years. But... in this day and age with prices of fuel, payments, insurance and whatnot I figured I gotta start making the boat work a little harder for it's keep.

I blew a disk in my back at work last year and lost all last summer... so this year I bough an Electradyne puller from PotBuilder (Thanks Steve!! AWESOME Puller!!). I also picked up a couple of his pots, brought the boat (Swissy Baroo) back to Anchorage, and installed the puller.

Thursday my brother managed to get the day off,and since he crews the Coastie Auxiliary boat in Whittier, he knows the area and agreed to show me around. The water was not so great, and we got a late start, so we only launched and ran across the canal to the waterfalls. It was only an exploratory trip to learn how to bait pots, drop them, and pull them back up. So once we finally dropped them, we ran around the area looking for some rockfish to jig. Finding just a couple, it looked like the water was not getting any better so after just 1.5 hours we went back and found my buoys (did I have too much line? would we find them on shore? Was my line too short? where the pots adrift in Passage Canal? LOL) We found them, right where we dropped them, and proceeded to learn how to use the puller. Steve, you are the MAN! I love this thing... makes the worry about blowing my back out again a thing of the past. Anyways, even after just 1.5 hours, and at the waterfalls right where there were loads of other buoys we still managed to grab about 3/4 - 1 gallon of shrimp. Seeing that first pot pop up with some color in it was awesome! I cannot WAIT to have a pot show up full.

Those things are soooooo tasty on the grill. A little butter, garlic and wow! I have never had fresh from the ocean never frozen shrimp, and OH.My.GOD they were good. I tried some in the sealer with the styrofoam trays and it worked flawlessly. Can't wait to pull some out when it's -20 out!

Anyways, just wanted to share my excitement. And plug Steve a little... his service, his pots and his puller are top notch. I even got a skookum camera mount for the boat to video pulling pots ala 'Deadliest Catch'. Can't wait to post one of an overflowing shrimp pot! With any luck I'll be able to make a number of trips and find some better shrimping holes between now and the first week of June when I take the Baroo back down to Homer for King trolling.
    Potbuilder is very strait up and helpful. He sells great products and give great advice. Made my first trip this Mothers Day with the Family. Ocean was glass. Just did what I was told and voila, it worked. They are exceptionally tasty shrimp. Taste sweet like some spiney lobsters. Not Maine Lobsters Though. Glad you had some luck. Nice Puller Set Up.

I should alsogive props to Ben at Silver Streak Boats in Anchorage for welding up the box for the puller too! He did an awesome job, and fast too.

Can' wait... going Monday and probably Wednesday if I get some guys at work to go with and split the fees - kinda shocked it cost $50 just to get the boat wet in Whittier!
    200hp Honda 4stroke

That's quite a puller setup you've got there.

theyre the best raw right out of the water. peel em and enjoy. by far my favorite way to eat em, bring some rice, some soy, yur in em

LMAO! I saw that in the paper... about choked on my coffee.

Was out Monday and good GOD the water was nice. Don't think I've ever seen water that flat, especially out of Homer. Humpback whales, warm, sunny, calm, rockfish/yelloweye were biting (do they ever NOT bite?!?) and well... a few more shrimp. I'm still figuring this out, but I got more this time. Still not a 'wow look at all the shrimp' moment, but still a ton of fun! Was a great Birthday! Just wish I had brought the propane bottle for the grilled brats... :-(
    200hp Honda 4stroke

LMAO! I saw that in the paper... about choked on my coffee.

Was out Monday and good GOD the water was nice. Don't think I've ever seen water that flat, especially out of Homer. Humpback whales, warm, sunny, calm, rockfish/yelloweye were biting (do they ever NOT bite?!?) and well... a few more shrimp. I'm still figuring this out, but I got more this time. Still not a 'wow look at all the shrimp' moment, but still a ton of fun! Was a great Birthday! Just wish I had brought the propane bottle for the grilled brats... :-(
    Shrimping out of Homer?

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Shrimping out of Homer?
    LOL! no, sorry... meant that since I normally run out of Homer I am not used to that nice of water! I was in PWS... and will be until around the first week of June when I tow the 'Baroo' back to Homer and start trolling for kings, getting my 'butts and start planning the Tanner crabbing!

Sorry for the confusion...
    200hp Honda 4stroke

Jim! Didn't know you were a member here. Just joined, myself. Happy B-day and good goin' on the shrimp. That puller installation is slick.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Jim! Didn't know you were a member here. Just joined, myself. Happy B-day and good goin' on the shrimp. That puller installation is slick.
    Thx!
    Been around, just not a big poster. More of a 'read more, post less' kinda guy!

We need to figure a day soon to get you out... cigars on the rear deck while jigging for rockfish?!?
    200hp Honda 4stroke

LOL! no, sorry... meant that since I normally run out of Homer I am not used to that nice of water! I was in PWS... and will be until around the first week of June when I tow the 'Baroo' back to Homer and start trolling for kings, getting my 'butts and start planning the Tanner crabbing!

Sorry for the confusion...
    Thats what I thought! Ah yes, the suculent fresh Tanner Crab. They sure do eat good when fresh, but not that much of a fan after frozen. Can't wait for 15 July myself.

Thx!
    Been around, just not a big poster. More of a 'read more, post less' kinda guy!

We need to figure a day soon to get you out... cigars on the rear deck while jigging for rockfish?!?
    That'd be great. I'll be at Pete's tomorrow if you can make it.