Thread: new bait station newbie copper river

Default new bait station newbie copper river

I got a bait station going in gmu 13 , 4 miles south of copper center on the bluffs of the copper river, got 1 barral of popcorn and dr pepper and maple suyup and right next to it is a barrel of full of dog food, and a stink bucket full of dead fsh and yeast and and eggs and i built a 15 foot tree stand with in 50 yrds of it built for 2 people and a wind view cam on it, hopeing to pull some nice blackies out of it with my buddie i will show pics when i get some images of something alive on it. plus i just odered a bait sent ball for it the bacon sent ball and some sent gel balls for it, so lets see what happens! by the way i got a ahtna predator permit

by the way , the station was set 5/4 and hasnt been hit by anything yet

Thats an interesting combination of foods for the bears,, but to each their own... cant wait to see succseess

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Sounds like a recipe for brown bear to me.... just my opinion.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Sounds good to me

but realistically brown bears will come where you are at! Good luck though!

Shoot I remember that guy that DLP'd a monster Brownie down by Chitna on the Copper while bear baiting some years back. That was a big azz bear to have problems with. IIRC he was trying to shake the hunter loose of his tree stand when he had to shoot him, that bear was over 9ft. On the flip side, in the fall there is a lot of black bears in that Klutina area (browns too) so a guy might do okay where your at.

well , this bait station was given to me from a friend last yr, we hunted it last yr which i wasnt hunting, i was just tagging along, he got three nice black bears on it in one night there, we seen alot of black bears on it with the trail cam last yr, we only saw one grizz on it for the whole season last yr

im trying to advoid the klutina area, theres to many stations on it this yr since the ahtna permits are affordable this yr

5/15 no hits yet went there and sat on it, no luck yet, maybe its still a few days early

Talking

well its 5/17 i went in and checked the station no hits, im kinda dispointed that nothing hasnt hit it, but i did take the dead fish smell out of the station and added more dog food , and hung a baitem scent bacon ball up and used two containers of those anise sent balls and threw them everywhere and even down below the bluff and though out the trails behind the station, its smelling really good up there now even sprayed some water on the scent ball, i will go in on friday and check the station