Thread: Comparable quality scope

Default Comparable quality scope

Well I finally bought my weatherby accumark .340 wby mag and need to put some glass on it. I've been looking at the zeiss conquest for a year now in 3.5x14x44 and before I buy it wanted to see what else people like. Any input would be great. I puns the scope online new for 700 bucks which is normally like 950. But curious what everyone thinks. Vance
    NRA life Member JVJ

If your going to spend that kind of money on a 1" scope buy the new schmidt bender summit 2.5-10X40, kind of spendy at 1500.00, but by far the best 1" scope made PERIOD!!!
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

I personally don't know anyone who has tried the new S&B one inch scope. I'll wait and let someone else be the guinea pig. For $1500, I wouldn't even consider a scope with a one inch tube. I have used an S&B 5x25. It had good optics, but nearly as good as a zeiss/hensholdt.

I have used Conquest scopes for the last 6 or 7 years. For the money, the conquests are the best value on the market. I have three 3x9's, two 4.5x14's and one 6.5x20. All have been bright and reliable. I would recommend the zeiss conquest without reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    If your going to spend that kind of money on a 1" scope buy the new schmidt bender summit 2.5-10X40, kind of spendy at 1500.00, but by far the best 1" scope made PERIOD!!!
    +1, I love my Summit.. Hell I love S&B scopes the finest rifle scope optics made bar none

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    +1, I love my Summit.. Hell I love S&B scopes the finest rifle scope optics made bar none
    Haven't tried a Zeiss/Hensholdt side by side with an S&B yet?

I have a Simmons 8-point lying around if you want to give it a try If not I'll just use it to stir some paint.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    I have a Simmons 8-point lying around if you want to give it a try If not I'll just use it to stir some paint.
    Now that's funny........wait no it ain't! I got one of those on my truck gun stuffed behind the seat! It's lined me up on lots of ditch tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Well I finally bought my weatherby accumark .340 wby mag and need to put some glass on it. I've been looking at the zeiss conquest for a year now in 3.5x14x44 and before I buy it wanted to see what else people like. Any input would be great. I puns the scope online new for 700 bucks which is normally like 950. But curious what everyone thinks. Vance
    I don't know how it compares to the Conquest, but I put a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm on my .340 Accumk and am muy el happio with it. Here's one for about $600: http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...9/product.html

Smile so many choices...

Trying to decide on "the best" scope is often hard to do. They are all a compromise. When I chose a scope I pick what I think will be the best power range for the majority of the shots I will take with the rifle it is on, not the shot I might rarely take. Cost is always a factor for the average guy, but here is my criteria. The scope has to be reliable and backed by a life time no B.S. warranty. It has to have as long a eye relief as possible as I want a "fast" scope, something you will appreciate on your .340. It has to transmit available light very well. I am not sitting in a Leopard blind or a tree stand in Europe so I don't need or want a 50mm objective bell or anything with a battery. I want as small a scope as possible so I look for a scope that is light weight and no longer then is needed to properly mount it in my chosen rings on the rifle. Reticle choices and ease of use vary by manufacturer and I keep mine simple as it fits my type of hunting. So reliability, eye relief, light transmission, clarity, field of view, weight and length are the criteria I compromise on. Leupold scopes sit on all my rifles when my search is over. Have fun with your search!

Default Zeiss vs. S&B

I've got almost identical Zeiss and S&B 6X scopes. I can't any difference in optical performance between them nor would I expect to discover any with the naked eye.

I've compared a fair selection of scopes and I find it hard to tell any difference in performace at low light levels where it really matters. The only scope I had that didn't measure up was a Leupold 2x7 but when I looked closely later I noticed that the objective lense was seperating.

I have a number of old Weaver scope including a K4 I bought new in the mid 60s for $40 - more than the $35 I paid for the 03-A3 I put it on. The optical performace of that Weaver is pretty sorry by todays standards but in it's day I could still consistanly shoot 1/2" 3 shot c-c groups at 100 yds with it.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Haven't tried a Zeiss/Hensholdt side by side with an S&B yet?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I had heard from some buddies about the bushnell too and did some research. The 2.5-16 power was enticing and bought it. I know I will like te 2.5 power over the 4.5 in the bush alot more with some of my encounters. Appreciate all the tips.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I had heard from some buddies about the bushnell too and did some research. The 2.5-16 power was enticing and bought it. I know I will like te 2.5 power over the 4.5 in the bush alot more with some of my encounters. Appreciate all the tips.
    I believe you will be happy with your choice. What mounts/rings are you using?

Can you post some pics? I am biased, but I think you have a great rifle/scope combo for anything from whitetail to polar bear.

Have not picked my rings yet. I'm actually in Texas at air assault school. I'll be home Friday and floating the chilitna that next morning. So as swoon as I get rings and mounted I will try to remember to post a pic on here.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Have not picked my rings yet. I'm actually in Texas at air assault school. I'll be home Friday and floating the chilitna that next morning. So as swoon as I get rings and mounted I will try to remember to post a pic on here.
    My favorite: http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm

I have one buddy who swears by his Zeiss, another who holds on to a Kahles likes it was gold. Me? I've been very partial to a Trijicon. I can't say enough about them.

Now, I have a buddy who works for Vortex and he says he can sway my opinions. I'll have to see. I'll post on here and on my site what I find out.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com