Thread: P.O.W. Island Bear Report

Default P.O.W. Island Bear Report

Headed that way on Tuesday for a black bear hunt. Has there been any movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McDonald View Post
    Headed that way on Tuesday for a black bear hunt. Has there been any movement?
    They've been out for awhile now. You'll see bears.

Johnnie are you not doing any live hunt or twitter this year from your page? I have always loved to read those because it is like I am there and I can see the season progress, and come and go. Buy the way that bear is finally home and he has finally made it to the taxidermist! YEAH!

Saw 2 bears today while driving the road system. Saw a few nice bucks too.

We will be hunting out of a boat. What are our chances?

Babyblue ... I won't be hunting out on POW this spring. I have had one hunt over on the mainland and will take the next 2 hunters in that direction.

We did take a great Cinnamon on the first hunt. It was cold and early for the mainland ... getting snowy weather for the first 3 days.

My internet connection is just between hunts, this season.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Babyblue ... I won't be hunting out on POW this spring. I have had one hunt over on the mainland and will take the next 2 hunters in that direction.

We did take a great Cinnamon on the first hunt. It was cold and early for the mainland ... getting snowy weather for the first 3 days.

My internet connection is just between hunts, this season.
    Got some picts, Johnnie?

Loren's Cinnamon .... and we sighted a Glacier (blue) Bear a few days after Loren tagged this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice bear, happy hunter and happy guide.

Wow that is a beautiful bear congrats on an awesome take! I would love to see one of those glacier bears they are so rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McDonald View Post
    We will be hunting out of a boat. What are our chances?
    I'd say pretty good. Put in some long days.

Default burrs

saw 4 yesterday outta the boat before 11am. theres this HUGE one ive been eyeing for 2 years now. Last year it was rubbed raw on both sides but huge. Saw him yesterday again, got on the beach, stalked it to w/i 100 yds, watched it eat for 30 mins, still HUGE, still rubber super bad, hes still out eatin grass somewhere... if i were after a huge skull i woulda gone for him. I want my first one to be a nice rug not just a big guy. good hunting to you all

Your chance of success is 100 percent from a boat. Way later that I hunt POW, by the 20th of April the hunt is on and they are not all rubbed out. Let us know how you do and where are you getting the boat from?

Anyone been in the Thorne Bay area? I'll be out there in a week.

Its nice to see pics and the stories, keep them coming guys.

I agree that the success rate for boat hunting could be close to 100% for an opportunity at a bear, if you included rubbed bears, dinks, and sows.

I'm not going to speculate what the success rate for a spot/stalk Black Bear Boar over 6' with a good hide.

Quote Originally Posted by wkevin98 View Post
    Anyone been in the Thorne Bay area? I'll be out there in a week.

Its nice to see pics and the stories, keep them coming guys.

My boy got this one last Saturday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work & congrats to your boy!

Were you guys seeing a lot of rubbed bears?

What areas were your seeing more traffic?

I haven't seen many bears at all this year. But, the ones I have seen have all had nice hides and have been niced sized bears.

Haven't seen any tourist bear hunters either, but I haven't been looking.

Default Right On

Right on 270,
    Congrats to your boy, that's a real nice Bear,

What's the story? Shot it with... time of day...and what I'm real interested in is the amt of meat you guys are getting out of those SE bears?

I actually used to have some land in Thorne Bay, and let it go cause it was too far from where I am working and..... well, can you believe that? Have regretted it ever since tho I hear it's getting a little crowded
    heh heh still trying to convince myself that wasn't the biggest mistake I ever made.

Good Hunting
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I spotted the bear with my spotting scope. Took 30 minutes to get where we could start the stalk. Had to get within 30 yards, as that log was the only available rest. 1 shot through the shoulders with the 7wsm and 160gr XLC put him down.

Hide/skull weighted 92.5lbs. Lots and lots of meat, but didn't weigh the meat. Currently eating backstrap, will make sausage out of the rest. He was a fatty.