Thread: Fishing Kenai Russian River Ferry 08/16 & 8/17

Default Fishing Kenai Russian River Ferry 08/16 & 8/17

Hi, there.

My family will be visiting Kenai Peninsula on 8/15, 16, and 17. I am hoping to do a little salmon fishing at Russian River Ferry area on August 16 and 17.

Will there be salmon running around that time at Kenai Russian River Ferry area?

Thank you.

Default plan to fish for trout

You might see some silvers, but not a lot of them. Any reds in the river will be pretty gnarley.
    Gary

You might find some fresh fish reds pushing through but it will not be tons of them. patience would be a must for chromers. I have caught a few silvers that time of year in the clear water. Sight fishing for chrome reds and then looky, A silver will come through. Trout fishing will be picking up for sure at that time
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks, Gary and AlaskaChuck.

It sounds like I am coming a bit late for Salmon fishing at Kenai Russian Ferry. Are there alternative places for bank fishing salmon at the Peninsula for that time of the year?

I used to fish red salmon across from the Ferry when I lived in Anchorage 20 years ago. If no better alternatives, I will try the Ferry area just to re-connect with the past.

You might want to look into silvers around bings. They should be pushing up the kenai by that time down further south. Contact wldboar on here. Jeanette is a good friend of mine. Tell her I told you to ask her. She fishes that area alot and does catch alot of silvers.

Dont totally bag the russian idea. I have seen late pushes of fish come through. You never know what the runs are gonna do. As time gets closer you will have a better idea of what and where of course.

Also, dont forget seward that time of the year. Silver fishing should be in full swing all over that area
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Yeah, the time period you're going to be here is a great time for silvers in the lower river and possibly up as far as Bing's. Here's a link to fishing reports that you can weed through to see where fish were being caught then:
    http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/....09-12.31.html

There are plenty of places you can bank fish for them down in the Soldotna area, so that won't be a problem.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Possibly as far up as Bings? Without a doubt silvers will be spread from the inlet up to the Upper Kenai by mid August. Cunningham Park, Eagle Rock, Centennial, Soldotna Creek, Swiftwater Park, Funny River Campground, Bings, and around the Russian River confluence are some places to give a try from the beach.

A big THANK YOU. You guys are great.

I will do some research on those places. Can't wait for the trip.

Lower pennisula streams might have some silvers by then
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Possibly as far up as Bings? Without a doubt silvers will be spread from the inlet up to the Upper Kenai by mid August. Cunningham Park, Eagle Rock, Centennial, Soldotna Creek, Swiftwater Park, Funny River Campground, Bings, and around the Russian River confluence are some places to give a try from the beach.
    I only was saying it's a great time for silvers as far up as Bings" because that's where the biggest concentration of fish will be that early. I'm sure if you fish the Russian at that time you might pick up a silver, or two if you're lucky in a day of fishing, but if I really wanted to fish for silvers I'd certainly head for any of the other spots in the lower river that you mentioned.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Mid August is not "early" when talking silvers in the Kenai River. Bings is a pretty poor choice to fish for silvers from the Bank and ranks about last in all the spot that were listed in previous posts on this thread. A couple of other good bank spots would be the Powerline Hole on the Upper Kenai, confluence of Moose - Kenai, and Morgans Landing.