Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourists taking over?

Default Tourists taking over?

Sorry about the vent, but every year it seems that I run into more and more out of state tourists who think that just because they spent $3,000 to come up here and fish it gives them exclusive ownership rights on the water. I can understand that tourism plays a huge role in Alaska's economy, but how has it gotten to the point where a tourist thinks that he outranks a resident? You don't even have to combat fish with them on the Kenai to see this... I ran into a guy who was fishing the Seward culverts for silvers last year and when I attempted to fish below him (giving him fair space to fish) he told me to clear off. I told him that I would give him space, but I wasen't going to let him take ownership of the whole culvert. He then launched into this whole tirade about how he has been coming up every Summer for the last eight years and how he deserved to fish in peace... He also said that Alaskans didn't know how to fish to begin with and to leave it to the real "sportsmans". Are you kidding me? If he wanted peace while fishing, he should have taken a fly in trip where the only company he would get would be from the bears... Don't get me wrong here, I enjoy fishing alongside others and occasionally helping them if they arn't too expierenced, but we Alaskans don't just spend the Summers here, we LIVE here, rain, snow, blizzard and shine...

Default Flip Side

How many "tourists" do you think go home complaining about the locals?

Default Very True..

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    How many "tourists" do you think go home complaining about the locals?
    Your right and the key words are "they go home"...I've had a few rough run-ins with the tourists and I try to remember that I was a tourist at some point here in AK but some of them really, really bother a guy with their attitude. Good luck fishin to everyone this year, hoping its a great run..

The vast majority of the tourists I meet are very friendly and eager for any advice you can give them. Only rude folks I have met came across as the kind that are jerks at home as well as on the road. Some folks are just naturally unfriendly.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I have also had some run in's with butt heads as well, but they aren't only tourists. I have had issues with tourists, locals and guides while fishing in AK. I have had locals anchor up right in my drift to land a 15" trout, had guides tell me to get lost that I'm fishing their water and had tourists muscle their way in or steal a spot while landing a fish.
    You can't generalize as there are from all over.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    You can't generalize as there are from all over.
    The best advice my grandpa ever gave me was to tell me that there are more horses arses than there are horses. My .02 is it doesn't matter where you're from. There are plenty of horses to go around.

Default AKBoater

I agree with you. This thread is pointless, We have some great friends in Alaska and have met some real rude A-holes from Alaska, just like it is anywhere. We worked in Seward last summer and my wife and I took two different "tourist" couples rafting with us and made some life long friends. Ease up and enjoy the people you meet and ignore the rude ones.

Default Roll with the punches

And remember that Seldovia people may feel that Soldotna folk are tourists, and many Kenai/Soldotnans feel that Anchorage folks are tourists.

Default Anchorage Tourists

Sayak
    Funny and True, Last summer I never heard anyone talk bad about the "out of state tourists", just the "Anchorage weekend tourists". This thread will just go in circles.

I figure anyone who arrived after I did in 1975 is a tourist.

The folks who were already here when I arrived still think I'm a tourist.

Where do you draw the line?

Default Tourists

I feel the same way. Also, anyone who drinks more beer than me has an alcohol problem, anyone who owns more firearms is a gun nut, etc.

speaking of guns, I open carry at all times while I am fishing. Between being about six and a half feet tall over 250lbs and packing a full size 10mm pistol in plain sight I never have an issue. Sure my redhawk would probably be better bear defense but I am not that worried about the bears.

crowdcor225,,,I will be there on June 10th hope i don't find you in MY fishin spot..
    And if you get there before me clean up your mess before you leave..

Default visitor and tourist

The deference between a visitor and a tourist is visitors bring their manors with them while tourists leave theirs at home.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Oh you mean Tourons!!!

Yeah, and Tourons don't have to be from out of state either. Lotta big city Alaskans bringing their Russian River ways when they "visit" other parts of the state.

Hey drifter, reminds me of some local that just had to leave Russian campground in September the wrong way. The nerve of people. Hopefully, this year your have a bigger car .
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

how has it gotten to the point where a tourist thinks that he outranks a resident?
    There's a ranking system.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Hey drifter, reminds me of some local that just had to leave Russian campground in September the wrong way. The nerve of people. Hopefully, this year your have a bigger car .
    Those locals were just wanting to steal beer. They did not have enough brains to look in the back of the truck. Some people do not leave the coolers out for the bears to get. I can live with the bears getting my food but no my beer. Im thinking bear fence around camp next year to keep everyone out. Especially Phish
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Unfortunately tourist don't have the market cornered on stupidity. Rude unthoughtful people are simply that, rude no matter where they come from which is a bummer because life is too short.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I get a kick out of trashing on the tourists and folks from Anchorage. I have met more than my share of PIGS from the bush too. I try to avoid the high traffic fisheries and if I cant, then I DEAL with it because it is was it is and it isnt going to change as long as the fish keep coming.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast