Thread: Lower Cook Inlet Sport Fisheries Outlook

Default Lower Cook Inlet Sport Fisheries Outlook

In case anyone might be interested ADF&G has released their Lower Cook Inlet Fisheries Outlook. Here's a link: http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...eroutlook.html

For those of you that like catching dogfish they have increased the limit to 5 per day and they don't have to be recorded on your license any longer.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default eats

Anyone ever eat a spiny dogfish shark?

Default dogfish ???

Saw a guy trying to clean one at the docks in Seward and the witeish grey mush he came up with did not look like anything I would like to eat. I have thought about cliping the wings from a Skate and extracting the muscle from the cartiedge, has anyone ever done that and what do they taste like?

The fish and chips in England are made from dogfish.

Edit: the fish is made from dog fish, not the chips!

you have to do them as you would a shark because they produce large amounts of ammonia-like urea. bleed 'em and gut 'em freddy krueger style

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    I have thought about cliping the wings from a Skate and extracting the muscle from the cartiedge, has anyone ever done that and what do they taste like?
    Lots of work for a amall amount of thin meat that is O.K.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    you have to do them as you would a shark because they produce large amounts of ammonia-like urea. bleed 'em and gut 'em freddy krueger style
    Yes! I have never kept one or even eaten one, but I might try it this year. From people I know that have retained them I have been told to bleed them and gut them immediately. Apparently they start excreting urea into their flesh as soon as they die so essentially the Freddy Kreuger thing is quite important. And I'd think you'd want a knife totally devoted to just cutting them up. Their skin is like 60 grit sandpaper.

And I have also talked to people that have kept skates and they say the meat is quite good---so much like scallop meat that a lot of people can't tell the difference. Supposedly people have actually taken round cookie cutters and punched skate meat out and sold it as scallops, but that might be one of those old wives tales. But also from what I've heard it can be a nightmare trying to separate the meat from the cartilage. So much so that I've been told not to bother. Guess I'd just have to give it a try sometime and see.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com