Thread: Rain Gear??

Default Rain Gear??

I need to pick-up some good rain gear. I shot my wad on a pile of other equipment such as optics, bag, tent etc. So the high-end stuff is out for this trip but I need good rain gear!

I popped by Sportsmans Warehouse and looked around. Is there another store in the Wasilla or Anchorage area that carries reliable rain gear (jack pants) and what gear do they carry?

What is the $ limit? I would really try to get some impertech. Should be able to get top and bottom for 150 maybe? If not a heavy gauge trash bag is an option

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    What is the $ limit? I would really try to get some impertech. Should be able to get top and bottom for 150 maybe? If not a heavy gauge trash bag is an option
    I have used trash bags before.. They come in really handy when you forget your rain gear in the truck! I can make a roof, lean-to's etc. It's amazing how creative a person can get with trash bags, duct tape, twisties and all that jazz

As far as $$$$ I would say no more than $200.00 certainly not more than $250.00

If I am in the price range, which I suspect I am not, where could I pick some Impertech up?

Barneys has camo and sportsmans has solids. Not sure if Barneys has solids too. Just remember the camo. I'll be in there drooling tomorrow Gotta make the rounds whenever I make it to town.

marmot precip rain gear should fit the bill. not sure it is available in town, try REI or order on line.

What do you plan on doing with this rain gear? If it is sheep then you should be well within the Marmot precip price range. It is decent light weight stuff, not as breathable as some but it has kept me dry. I have seen it at REI and bought the wife her jacket at Sportsmans last year. Right now Campmor has the precip jackets for $80.

My buddy swears by these cabelas pants and they are cheap. He has probably hundreds of days in the field with them and they are still going strong. I watched him butt-scoot down all kind of slopes on our goat hunt last year and bust a stoopid amount of raspberry bushes on Kodiak last year. His cabelas rain pants did better than my sitka ascent pants thats for sure! I plan on getting a set before my sheep hunt this year.

With the Precip from campmor and the cabelas pants you should be all set for about 150 with pretty good light weight gear. Now if you are going to be slogging in the lowlands all year or standing on a boat or bank where weight isn't an issue then the stretchy non breathing rubber impertech is hard to beat and you should be able to get into it for even less.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What do you plan on doing with this rain gear? If it is sheep then you should be well within the Marmot precip price range. It is decent light weight stuff, not as breathable as some but it has kept me dry. I have seen it at REI and bought the wife her jacket at Sportsmans last year. Right now Campmor has the precip jackets for $80.

My buddy swears by these cabelas pants and they are cheap. He has probably hundreds of days in the field with them and they are still going strong. I watched him butt-scoot down all kind of slopes on our goat hunt last year and bust a stoopid amount of raspberry bushes on Kodiak last year. His cabelas rain pants did better than my sitka ascent pants thats for sure! I plan on getting a set before my sheep hunt this year.

With the Precip from campmor and the cabelas pants you should be all set for about 150 with pretty good light weight gear. Now if you are going to be slogging in the lowlands all year or standing on a boat or bank where weight isn't an issue then the stretchy non breathing rubber impertech is hard to beat and you should be able to get into it for even less.
    I will not be hunting sheep in the near future. Right now I am going to concentrate on moose, bear and bou. Next week we are headed for the sound for 4-5 days. Most of my trips will not be float or boat so for now the Marmot or Cabela's seem like what I wan't based on your post. I'll take a look around this weekend and see what I can find. That is certainly in my price range!

Sams Club in Fairbanks has some raingear right now that is like the Frogg Toggs for $28 for a set of top and bottoms. I have a set of Frogg Toggs that work pretty well for most conditions. This is economical if money is tight for now until you can buy what you want later.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    Sams Club in Fairbanks has some raingear right now that is like the Frogg Toggs for $28 for a set of top and bottoms. I have a set of Frogg Toggs that work pretty well for most conditions. This is economical if money is tight for now until you can buy what you want later.
    I just got back from Sportsmans Warehouse and they had these along with a couple of other sets of gear.

I am going to head to Los Anchorage tomorrow to look around a bit. Does anyone know of places to look in Anchorage other than REI?

Barneys has impertech, Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking also may have some good stuff as well. That said I buy a lot of mine from REI.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Barneys has impertech, Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking also may have some good stuff as well. That said I buy a lot of mine from REI.
    Thanks, I will check them out tomorrow. Appreciate the info.

Ive got some Cabelas gore-tex equipment and it is pretty durable as well as waterproof. The grade of which would be determined by the application. I have a paclite for hiking and the guidewear for fishing.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

I want the Cabela's guide wear bibs for boating, hunting and some fishing.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Smile Raingear

Like mentioned earlier, it really depends on what type of hunting you are going to use it for. Can you dry it out every night with a heat source (i.e. home, cabin, fire, woodstove in a wall tent)? Does weight matter? Does it have to be quiet? I believe you need different raingear for different applications. In your price range-Mountain Hardwear Cohesion or eqiuvalent (backpack hunt), HH Impertech (non backpack hunt where the utmost stealth isn't necessary), Cabelas Rain Suede (non backpack hunt where quietness is necessary and you can dry it out every night with a heat source). You can get the first two at Barney's and well......the third.....you know. I have had pretty good luck with the Rain Suede (suprisingly) if I keep up on the DWR and have a place to dry it at night because it does get pretty wet and it will not dry by itself.