Thread: Air pump for a Aire Canoe

Default Air pump for a Aire Canoe

Purchased a Aire Traveler recently and need a pump for it. Sales person told me the foot pump I have for my Zodiac will not work. And since the pump is on my ocean boat which is still in storage I can't confirm it.
    Electric pumps are out since this will be used mostly on fly in hunts. What are some good recommendations? Would like to keep the price under $50 if possible.
    Thanks
    Tennessee

Bravo II foot pump, but do not trust the hose that comes with it. Get some automotive hose to replace the yellow one. I have used that pump for a long time. If you don't think that's heavy duty enough for you or you will be on trips where there is no other pump you could borrow then maybe a K-Pump is a good option, or carry both- still lighter than a big old barrel pump.

Mr. Snowwolfe,

Your foot pump will inflate your AIRE Traveler, as long as it is in working order. The fill valve adapter on the end of your pump hose might not fit both the fill valves on your Zodiac and on your Traveler, but that's an easy fix ($5.00 to $10.00). Stop by Alaska Raft and Kayak. I will be happy to help you make it happen.

Tracey Harmon

A good pump should be like a dependable partner... you have a good boat - so why short yourself on a cheaper pump?

On a repetitive sort of test (like routine inflation and deflation or just gettin' in/out of field in all sorts of seasons/temps) the cheaply made Bravo foot-pumps and two-way 'Wonders' really don't pay. Sure you get what you pay for, as well as some folks take better care of things than others plus others just get the luck of the draw... still a good pump is a good pump -- the rest are somewhat on the marginal reliability end of the scale.

I agree with Tracy on this... if your pump is in good serviceable order... some of the older heavier duty, well-made 'Zodiac' foot pumps 'made in France' of denser rubber decking and Hypalon fabric are very good.

B-7 adapter would be all ya need... no reason to go anywhere --- That exact adapter is already in your AIRE repair Kit that came w/ the boat.

Default Pros, cons of foot- vs barrel-type pumps....

in another thread were interesting to me, new to rafting (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=77140) and included pumping the air out to speed takedown.

AR&K in general and Tracey in particular have been terrific resources for me in learning about my 2 Aires (1 a Traveler), and candid about any shortcomings of a piece of equipment, helping to inform my decision to buy or not.

Good luck.

Does anyone sell the Clavey Bigfoot pump locally?

Interesting comments. I really do not mind paying for good quality. But this canoe is much smaller than a raft so it should be easier to inflate. Size is pretty important since this canoe will be going with us on fly in hunts.

Have you guys ever had a pump totally fail? If price wasnt an object, which smaller pump would you recommend?
    Tennessee

Clavey Pumps: Contact Goo, our local Sotar rep. I believe he sells them. They are good pumps.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/member.php?u=22118

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    ke better care of things than others plus others just get the luck of the draw... still a good pump is a good pump -- the rest are somewhat on the marginal reliability end of the scale.
    I got about 7 years of commercial use, adding air daily to replace what I bled off the day before with a Bravo II. I guess I must take good care of my stuff. The spring in it finally gave out but it was after maybe 800-900 days of use. I bought a new one. Never got that much life out of a barrel pump before something went wrong with it.

Default Two?

I also don't mind paying for quality, but wanted 2 pumps for our 4-person, 9-day flyout float last year. We went with 2 Bravo pumps ($30/each); one Bravo 2 foot pump and one Bravo Wonder Pump 6/barrel pump.

Others might figure differently, but here's how the pro arguments added up for me last year:
    1.Better pumps were also heavier and (light) weight was a priority
    2. Pump failure was a show stopper, so I wanted two
    3. One of each design gave us advantages of each

Weight seems the deciding factor for some trips, but maybe there are well built pumps that are light?

Default pumps

Hey how about this-- if you need 2 pumps-- maybe you need 2 boats??
    Buy cheep stuff maybe you really do need a back up? Have actually had to blow up a broken 14' raft with my lungs on a first decent back in the 80's in Siberia, because of a cheap pump. That is why i only use the best. Do what you like, but do not be cheap in ALASKA-- I only took one rifle with me when chasing other folk's wounded bear a long time ago--
    To each their own- Good luck- We really do build somethings better in the USA!!!
    Goo

What about a K Pump 100?
    Tennessee

Default 110% w/ ya Goo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Hey how about this-- if you need 2 pumps-- maybe you need 2 boats??
    Buy cheep stuff maybe you really do need a back up? Have actually had to blow up a broken 14' raft with my lungs on a first decent back in the 80's in Siberia, because of a cheap pump. That is why i only use the best. Do what you like, but do not be cheap in ALASKA-- I only took one rifle with me when chasing other folk's wounded bear a long time ago--
    To each their own- Good luck- We really do build somethings better in the USA!!!
    Goo
    Other people's problems... just are not much fun takin' care of.

Poorly manufactured pumps are simply not all that good or worth it & 'prone' to failures -- when you are really going places on real Alaska adventures through all kinds of conditions (both in and out of your directly control) certain to test all your equipment.

Analogy not so far fetched --- Would you climb Denali with a real trusty mountaineering rope and bombproof carabiners or go with clothesline and colorful key ring holders?

Would you run routine wilderness raft trips using a pvc frame, pvc oar stands, plus plastic locks......... or would consider yourself much better off having that 1 1/4" ID anodized aluminum set-up, life-time fittings, rugged stands and brass locks?

Why jeopardize valuable vacation time, risk whatever commercial venture, plus the costs of getting out there for some internet infomercial on relatively poorly constructed key piece of gear?

No matter how a person 'weighs in' on it or by the numbers -- Ge-wiz cheap stuff, different models/designs of cheap gear, now cheapened up further, and less/less reliable in just the past few years is never good advice... don't add up or make sense... bein' careful or gettin' lucky.

This is why guys like Goo and I use good pumps and don't recommend anything less. Through experience and decades of use and factors... we have to stand behind this stuff everyday professionally (retail, guiding, renting, sportshows, demos, around the globe reliability etc. without a shutdown. We like to see folks running around Alaska with trustworthy equipment.

To make another analogy --- Pumps like the BigFoot are the Winchester Model 70 CRF of the raft foot-pump world while the cheapos are squirt guns in plastic wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    What about a K Pump 100?
    Hey Randy,

K pumps are more of a top-off... high card is stand around a boat even out in the water and go for it on pressure. Not much on crankin' up volume.

Generally, the smaller the barrel chamber, the more you must keep it cleaner and lubed up to work properly preventing damages or failures with the rubber O-ring.

The older ones had more rugged barrels... new ones are lighter but work the same. As a topper - they are pretty useful --- especially if the boat is tied off and in the water. This would be justification of a second pump.

Default Experience trumps inexperience...

of course, and for all the reasons stated. But so in this case does the data. I looked up posted weights to see if there actually is a weight advantage to the cheaper pumps. No.

The Data: Here are the weights ("weight" or "shipping wt") posted online for some of the mentioned barrel and foot pumps, :

Barrel:
    $30 Bravo Wonder Pump 6: 1.98#
    $120, NRS 5" Barrel pump: 2#
    $235, Carlson 6" Barrel pump, 2#

Foot:
    $30 Bravo 2 footpump: 2.68#
    $120 Clavey Bigfoot Footbellows: Unk.

Though the Clavey weight isn't included, it's fair to say that my idea last year that cheaper pumps are lighter to fly out, doesn't hold water. Any weight difference is going to be insignificant, especially given the differences in performance and reliability in the better pumps.

Setting the record straight: You read these forums regularly and probably know who's green (experience wise) and who's a wise veteran in the area. Just to be clear, I may always be a greenhorn compared to other regulars. It's pretty unlikely, given family etc obligations, that I'll "catch up" in any way. But, I have learned a lot from veterans, whether personal friends, a few I've met in shops, or online acquaintances. Some of the trips Jeff Varvil has written about for instance (http://outdoorsdirectory.com/magazin...-it-coming.htm, http://outdoorsdirectory.com/magazin...whitewater.htm) are often both humorous and instructive. On OSA, we're all fortunate some of these veterans share from their experience and knowledge. "Trust but verify", Reagan is famous for saying. At this campfire, both the wisdom and practicality of their advice is verified. I'm grateful for and defer to the counsel they offer too.

It's worth taking to heart when guys like Brian and Goeaux, whom I haven't met personally (yet), advise: " ... use good pumps and don't recommend anything less. Through experience and decades of use and factors... we have to stand behind this stuff everyday professionally (retail, guiding, renting, sportshows, demos, around the globe reliability etc. without a shutdown. We like to see folks running around Alaska with trustworthy equipment....Pumps like the BigFoot are the Winchester Model 70 CRF of the raft foot-pump world while the cheapos are squirt guns in plastic wraps".

That pretty much says it all, and they've made a great case!
    In fact, guess I'll be shopping up a Clavey AND a Carlson soon .
    Best of luck in your choices and the season ahead.

Dwight/Eagle River