Thread: Moose fence

Default Moose fence

O.K. I saw a post on fencing for moose, checking to see all the ideas out there. Wife was a little peeved when her hard work walked off during the night last year. I just expanded the garden by doubling it for Mothers Day. So since I need to redo the fence I'm open to ideas, since my 4 footer didn't cut it. It did for 5 years but they found us.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Knock on wood, moose stayed out of my garden last year. I only have a 3 foot tall fence to keep the mutt from plowing through the garden when we playing fetch. The only thing I used to keep the moose and rabbits away was Irish Spring by quartering a bar and putting them in a tipped over styro foam cup (tip it over so it does not fill up with water). This year I am going to use Irish Spring and dryer sheets in addition.

Other natural solutions that I googled are using products that smell like a human. They recommended hair clippings from a hair cut store and as unconventional as it sounds human urine is very potent smelling. You could think up your own ways for collecting and/or distributing that about the garden. Coyote urine is supposed to be effective as well.

As for a fence make it tall or electric.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    O.K. I saw a post on fencing for moose, checking to see all the ideas out there. Wife was a little peeved when her hard work walked off during the night last year. I just expanded the garden by doubling it for Mothers Day. So since I need to redo the fence I'm open to ideas, since my 4 footer didn't cut it. It did for 5 years but they found us.
    Al, what's wrong with the .300?

Yup, I vote for the .300...lol, or just a 6" (at least) chain link or even chicken wire, with 4x4 posts (it's cheaper).

I don't think the smell of human urine bothers them a bit since one walked up to my outhouse door knob and licked it all slobbery.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

I have moose visiting & have ate everything of what they like & stepped on the rest. Gun is out, just no season & usually a cow anyway. Once I was on their "good restaurant list" I got hit twice/year at least.
    I put up about a 5' tall fence, Right over it no problem.
    I made it higher with barbed wire & it worked but my wife said it looked like a prison yard. (one time they pushed/broke the gate too, tougher gate)
    I since have transplanted raspberries all the way around, removed the barbed wire & dug about a 1' ditch, roto-tiller width, on the outside & made a hill for the berries. I think the raspberries (can't see thru very well) & the ditch stopped them. They swing by but past few years, no moose in the garden.
    I too wanted to eat broccoli fed moose but glad I didn't. (well not without a cow tag in season anyway)
    So far so good. (fingers crossed) Lots of raspberries & neighbors gardens feed the moose now

Good luck

Got to have a pretty tall fence to keep out the moose. We used to get hit twice a season, now we surround everything the moose like to eat with green onions. It was a tip from a friend. We haven't been touched by moose in the last three years. last fall the day after I pulled up the onions, moose were in there eating what was left of cabbage plants and sunflowers.