Thread: Fuel Pump question

Default Fuel Pump question

I was in Whittier last weekend and couldn't get my boat to start. There seems to be no gas making to the carb. The problem might have started after having someone install a fuel flow sensor this winter. The gas line seems empty on the supply side of the pump and it could be as simple as the empty line needs to be primed. (engine is a merc sportjet 175)

I happen to be pretty "mechanic stupid" so at this point I don't know what to do next. Its an inboard so I don't have one of those in-line bulb primers that would seem to help in a situation like this.

Any ideas?

(Also my thanks go out to the guy delaying his bear hunting trip trying to give me a quick assist)

Do you hear the fuel pump running?
    Do you have a fuel switch is it off?
    Remove the fuel line from the carburetor and run the fuel pump to see if gas is getting to the carburetor.

Default It is an outboard

then probably no fuel pump. you would have had to pump the primer bulb after installing the fuel flow sensor, When you cut into the fuel line it allowed the fuel to drain back to the tank.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I forgot to mention you may have a anti-siphon device in-line to prevent fuel from going back to the gas tank. It looks like a brass fitting, to test suck on the fuel line before the gas tank. Be care full getting gas in your mouth it's suck.

Tell us what you found.

Default Fixed!!

Thanks Moose!

It seems like common sense now in retrospect, but I'm a computer nerd not a mechanic. I did as you said and unplugged the fuel line upstream from the fuel pump. No gas came out at all. Then I bought a bulb primer and connected it in-line to get the fuel back into the line. The engine started once the line was primed, then I took the bulb back out and it still starts great.

It definately was caused by the installation of the NMEA 2000 fuel flow meter. Next job is probably to change the fuel filter. I haven't ever done this myself either, any pointers you have there?

Itís a little hard to give instructions on changing a fuel filter/water separator with out knowing any more information. You do have a water separator?

Most filters need to be installed in the right direction, look for a arrow or read the information. Take a picture before you take things apart. Replace fuel line if there hard.

Did you find a anti-siphon device in line? Itís very inportment to know if you have one or not and it working correctly.

One thing I would do is to get a note book and put every thing you finding in it, one, two or three years from now you will be happy you did.