Thread: WHY do Shotgun shells feed so well, considering their blunt nose.

Default WHY do Shotgun shells feed so well, considering their blunt nose.

Yes, you can get a failure to feed with a shotgun, but for the most part they function well, and problems are easy to clear. Even more impressive with their flat nose. I reference this question relative to the problems when you blow out the .300 H&H with its sweet taper, to a near straight wall case.

Why do Shotguns feed so reliable........?

Stealing shamelessly from the movie The Graduate, "I've got one word for you son.... plastic."

Look inside the action and watch what is going on.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Stealing shamelessly from the movie The Graduate, "I've got one word for you son.... plastic."

Yes, I think that is part of it. Another is that the shell is craddled and centered, and fully supported as the bolt closes.

I'm old enough to have grown up shooting a whole lot of paper shotgun shells. Some guns liked them and some didn't, as already said, depending on how well the guns were designed. But I gotta say that a whole lot of guns that were jam masters with paper suddenly worked fine with plastic shells. Live and love the "good old days," cuzz they're here now. It wasn't so good back in the 50's, by any means.

well they have a big chamber and the shell is lifted straight in front of it and the force moving the shells are stronger. Lots of money and trophy shooters still prefer paper shells

Are shotguns spring fed? or mechanically loaded the bolt isnt scraping another round as it is loading... ? could be a number of things.... I think I need to get out my shotgun and check it out.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

The carrier lifts the shell up to a position were it is in line with the bore. It goes straight in...less friction is correct. There is no magazine spring tension to overcome.

I remember grandpa cussing his 97 and paper shells. They worked fine in my break open once shooters though. By the time I graduated to a pump gun the world had gone plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I remember grandpa cussing his 97 and paper shells.
    That's the model that bugged me most, and of course since I was a kid, guess who was given the "old" shotgun.... I located some brass shells once and they fed like a dream.

My dad was so proud when he bought a Browning Double Auto, that is till he tried to feed it paper shells! The DA departed quickly, but this kid was still stuck with his ancient 97. That is until I set enough siphon tubes (at a penny each) for the neighbor to buy my own- Like you, a break-open back stuffer, a Stevens double 12. As I recall I set pipe for 5 months (April-August) to pay for that sweet gun. Still have it too!

Best thing about the old paper was you could drop in in the snow and swell a 20 or 16 big enough to fill the chamber and shoot in a 12. The old 97 ripped a many thumb knuckles

Yeah, plastic is very slick, and most repeaters hold the shell in pretty good alignment for starting in the chamber. They pop up and align before starting in the chamber where as many rifles feed into the chamber as they are angeling up from the magazine. On lever rifles, the soft lead tip will drag on anything it touches. The only break opens that don't feed pretty good are the ones with a fumble fingers behind the stock.