Thread: Cleaning lures?

Default Cleaning lures?

I know we all think about different things and scent is one but I really never thought of it for fishing and lures. I was just watching a video "underwater salmon 201" Some interesting stuff, but one thing that I found interesting and very strange is they were stating that they would use Crest toothpaste original for cleaning and scent removal on lures. I was wondering if you have heard of that and if any of the members here actually use it? If not, do you use something else?

Lemon Joy dish soap
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default said that

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Lemon Joy dish soap
    They mentioned using this but stated that it usually took about 15 minutes for the scent of the soap to disipate to the point that strikes were produced but with the crest that it was no delay.

Default How dirty are your lures?

I must be missing something here... How do your lures get so dirty you need toothpaste or dish soap to clean em? Dirt comes off in water pretty quick.

If we are talking purely scent, If your lures spend enough time in the water any scent on them from your minimal handling of the lure will come off... If you want scent on your lure just squirt a little fish oil on it and you're good to go.

I have never worried about this kinda stuff at all and I have never had problems putting fish in the freezer!
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

I like to wrap my plugs and the sardine or herring which will undoubtedly get funky if not washed off. If not wrapped I squirt a little anise scent on them to mask human scent and dust and stuff can stick to that.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer