Thread: Headed to the Yukon River

Default Headed to the Yukon River

I am new to the forum and I was wondering if any one could reccomend a good camera to purchase for a trip on the Yukon. I want something light and durable, but I am open to any suggestions.

-Thanks D

How long a trip on the Yukon? --- The reason I ask is it makes a difference in battery requirements. It's one thing to buy an extra $40 rechargeable lithium battery or two for a week long trip, it's another thing to buy a sack full of them for a three month trip. Although cheap lithiums are available in eBay for just about anything.

Also, light and durable mean very different things to different photographers. For some that would mean a high end DSLR with a sack full of high end glass. For others it means one of the small waterproof and impact resistant point & shoot models. And still others will sacrifice waterproof and bash-ability for a longer and better lens. The question is, what do you mean by light and durable?

Canon makes several pocketable cameras that use standard AA batteries, and you can also use rechargeable NiMH AA's in these with very good results. Even better results can be had with disposable lithium AA batteries if you are willing to spend the money for their long life and light weight. One of these Canon models is even waterproof and impact resistant, but like all waterproof cameras the zoom range is quite limited.

Sony and Panasonic make decent waterproof cameras as well. Personally, I hold that Panasonic sells the best waterproof camera for what I want. But it does require proprietary rechargeable lithium batteries. Fortunately, for longer trips, I can get them for $10 on ebay.

Default Headed to the Yukon

My boyfriend says the trip won't be more than 9 days, so I hope I can keep up lol. I want a camera that's waterproof, and doesn't require a lot of extra equipment to assemble. (lenses and such) Moreover, I I don't want to spend more than $1200. The Panasonic sounds good, how much do they run for? What type of trips have you taken them on?

I picked up a Panasonic TS1 a couple months ago. It's waterproof to 10' and shockproof to handle a drop of 5' I think. It's a nice camera with good battery life, but you can buy spare batteries on eBay for about $10 ea; shipped direct from Hong Kong to your door. I paid $250 in a closeout sale from Amazon.com. The new TS2 is rated for 33' of water and has 12MPix instead of 10MPix, but is otherwise nearly the same camera for $400. I chose the Panasonic because it's image quality was rated higher than most of the competition. It also has very good video functions and other features.

The Canon waterproof camera is larger, and I couldn't find it on sale anywhere at a good price. Otherwise I might have picked it just because of the battery issue on long trips. Image quality is as good as the Panasonic. Both of these have very good image stabilization systems built in, and for my use that is a big issue.

I understand there is a new Sony waterproof camera that is also quite good. Personally, I don't like supporting companies that have a habit of charging premium prices just so you can get their name on something, so I don't buy their stuff unless it really is better. In this case the Sony doesn't appear to be any better than the competition. Also if you buy a Sony camera you have to use Sony Memory Sticks instead of the less expensive SD cards. OK enough railing in Sony; they do make some nice products.

The primary limitations of waterproof cameras (in comparison to other point & shoot cameras) are the limited selections of cameras to choose from, and the limited zoom ranges of their lenses. Sure is nice to not have to worry about dropping or dunking it though.

lovinakalways, hope you find just the right camera for your needs.

I know you are gonna find lots of great scenery and more than likely some cool critters to photograph on your Yukon River trip. Maybe some interesting characters too!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I too like the Panasonic cameras (with the Leica lens). Something to consider, and really cheap Insurance, is whenever you are not using a camera consider storing it in a Zip Lock bag. Cheap way to waterproof your camera
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather