Thread: reloading manual

Default reloading manual

I'm considering getting into reloading with the price of premium ammo these days, and I was wanting to get a manual to look at before I bought all the equipment. Any suggestions on a good manual that I should buy. I'm wanting to reload for a 300 win mag..
    Thanks Matthew

Invest the money in a Lymans 48th edition Reloading Guide. They have the best data and the first about 100 pages will get you in the ballpark when it comes to reloading. Good luck!
    Steve

Wink Reloading

Winchester, IMR, Hogden all produce and give away a reloading guide. There are as many opinions about reloading equipment as there are about guns and calibers. A lot of bullet companies also offer reloading data. The 2 I seem to use most are the Hodgdon (due to its comprehensive powder charts for other manufacturers) and Sierra ( it is a loose leaf style and allows for loading charts from other sources to be added). HAVE FUN!!!

Default Manual

I also like like the Lyman manual. It is ideal for someone starting out, and is not brand specific. However, I have found the Hornady manual to be the most accurate for the charges=velocity, and max loads/limits. This is in my guns, with bullets I have selected. Its a great hobby, just dont get fooled into thinking you need to spend $500 to get started. You can buy a lee classic loader, bullets, primers, and powder and be reloading for under $50. If you enjoy it as a hobby than upgrade as you go.

Wink

Nosler, they test various powder brands, and give findings in their test rifles. Hodgdon used to be good, but the latest manual is a far cry from the last two! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Pick up a couple. READ them.

Pick one for the bullets you intend on using. If you want to use Nosler bullets, pick up a Nosler reloading manual. Or if you know you want to use Barnes, pick up a Barnes manual.

Above all, read them and understand what is going on. Handloading is great way to get top performance from your rifle/ammunition, save money, shoot more, become a better a shot and have fun. There's a lot of satisfaction taking an animal with ammunition that you "rolled" yourself, too.

But be safe. Remove all distractions from your reloading room/space. Check you work, then check it again. Don't take short cuts.

I didn't mean preach, enjoy your new hobby. Case trimming does suck, though.

My favorite was the old Hodgdon Data Manual. It listed loads from several powder manufacturers. Unfortunately it isn't available now.

Nowadays I like the Lyman manual and the caliber specific manuals from Loadbooks USA. They publish all the data from all the manuals.

Oh yeah......A copy of "The ABCs of Reloading" is a worthwhile investment too.
    Now what ?

I collect them. It is amazing at the differences you will find. The pre-lawyer-plague books were fairly liberal in their powder use.
    The Lyman is a good place to start, The Barnes book is also very good.
    Then see if you can pick up a couple used ones here or there from other companies....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com