Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a place where a tourist could fire a handgun?!

New Zealand (but TOronto at present for a year until 7/10)

Default is there a place where a tourist could fire a handgun?!

This might be a ridiculous question, feel free to laugh. Anyhow, I am from NZ (strict gun firearm laws, handguns v strict!) and will be coming to AK for a 3 week trip. My friend and I wonder is there a place like a range that would allow us to "rent" a handgun and let us fire a few rounds (or more) under supervision/tuition?
    thnx

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    This might be a ridiculous question, feel free to laugh. Anyhow, I am from NZ (strict gun firearm laws, handguns v strict!) and will be coming to AK for a 3 week trip. My friend and I wonder is there a place like a range that would allow us to "rent" a handgun and let us fire a few rounds (or more) under supervision/tuition?
    thnx

What size handgun were you thinking about........??? I have a private 175 Yard Range, And when I spent a month hitchhiking all over NZ, locals were very nice. NZ is a wonderful country, with the nicest people.

Default If you make it to Soldotna...

... you can look me up. I will let you fire numerous guns of all sizes and flavors for free. If you want to fire them even more, I might ask you to buy some ammo. It would be my privilege to let you experience hand guns.

If in Wrangell I'll hook you up for shooting

Unfortunately there's no place in AK that rents guns (unless there's some place in Anchorage that I don't know about). It's definitely something that some future entrepreneurs should look into. I would love to be able to test certain guns before I buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    Unfortunately there's no place in AK that rents guns (unless there's some place in Anchorage that I don't know about). It's definitely something that some future entrepreneurs should look into. I would love to be able to test certain guns before I buy them.

We had a range that rented handguns, they went broke, and now it is a used car lot.

Default Try the Rabbit Crek Range in Anchorage

While you can't rent a handgun there are numerous nice people there who will let you try a round or two in their guns. I often swap out with people there and we try each other's guns. I've let a number of people try my .500 S&W and .44 Mag. I've also let people shoot my S&W Mdl 41 - it always gets a lot of raves from the Ruger Mk 1 shooters who have never shot a quality target pistol.

It may be most interesting for you to try some of the classics you always hear so much about and see in the movies- guns like the Colt 1911 .45 auto, the SAA, luger, S&W .38 revolver, S&W .44 magnum to name a few.

If you post when you are coming I'm sure some of us can met your there. If you want to shoot a lot bring some ammo down - you can shoot any of my guns as much as you like if you provide the fodder. I'll be happy to let you try a few rounds off my dime.

Safety is the key at any range - you will get a lot of close up coaching on that at first. Everyone is happy to help each other down there - it is part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    thnx
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

We need the when and were? I will cover fairbanks

New Zealand (but TOronto at present for a year until 7/10)

this is fantastic, thanks ! I was worried you would think i was some sort of nutter! We arrive ANC 4th july and tour round in an RV until 22nd, am expecting my friend to join me mid way through so probably 11 or 12th julu on is best and during that time will be (we think) heading up Parks highway to Denali then Fairbanks and cheena hot springs areas. very happy to contribute costs/ammo, at home ammo isnt cheap. Once I get def dates from my friend will PM a few of you and try to firm things up if thats ok. THANKS!

me too Anchorage area PM me, happy to take you shooting at the Birchwood Range...

On your way up the Parks Highway you can look me up in Talkeetna. I can let you fire my kid's .22 handgun and my XDm .40. We can even light up the AR-15 We have a range nearby and if you are here on the right day we can work it out in the evening.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You might be starting something here. A shooting tour of Alaska. next thin you know Princes tour is going to be advertising this trip.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

If you come to Fairbanks we might take out Ma Duce. Keep in touch. I've got plenty of other interesting toys to shoot.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    On your way up the Parks Highway you can look me up in Talkeetna. I can let you fire my kid's .22 handgun and my XDm .40. We can even light up the AR-15 We have a range nearby and if you are here on the right day we can work it out in the evening.

i know you posted this a while back, but i was interested in purchasing an XDm 40 would there be a chance to maybe try it out before i decided to buy one? i would be happy to supply ammo if you were game.

Mt. View, in Anchorage is a good place to fire off guns, & Fairview, Spenard, & parts of Muldoon...

Gee what a lovely sentiment about your fellow Alaskans

Default Alaska Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    Actually, Steve at Alaska Tactical rents handguns (and long guns too) if you are in one of his classes. You can find them on the web if you want to check out their class schedule. He's a top notch trainer, made me to where I can even hit elephant sized targets at 3 paces now! (VAST improvement, trust me! )

www.alaskatactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Mt. View, in Anchorage is a good place to fire off guns, & Fairview, Spenard, & parts of Muldoon...
    Sounds alot like Murderapolis, MN to me. Only the street names have changed.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    NZ, locals were very nice. NZ is a wonderful country, with the nicest people.
    I second that. My good friend broke his back there and was stuck for several months and you treated him and his wife like family. I've had the good fortune to host Konrad Scott and Duncan Storrier and friends/family of theirs on trips up here and they also loved the opportunity to do some shooting. On the day we would up shooting with Duncan, so many handguns came out that I thought for sure we'd shown him the shooting experience that would be the pinnacle of his life... then we saw this from his trip to russia this past fall!!! (look near the bottom of the page... they were letting the guys shoot baooka's!)

http://www.worldjetboatexpeditions.c...a-and-mongolia

Anyway, if your timing works when I'm home (I'm out of town 2 weeks each month) I'd love to take you jetting and shooting... keep me in mind as your dates firm up.

Definitely keep in touch, I bet we can arrange a "range day" at Birchwood when you are passing through. Maybe get several members to bring along their arsenal to show off and conduct a small war of sorts.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast