Thread: survey please for a rookie

Default survey please for a rookie

okay first time baiting always spot and stalk easy question for everyone barrel on side or standing hole size and where putting out station as soon as th ekuskokwim breaks here

I have got two standing up and one on its side, no more than a 4.5" hole. So far the only one hit was on its side. not really sure that it matters though.
    -Caleb-

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i like mine stood up... but do have one on its side... and so far that one is the least damaged ?????????????????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Got 2 out this year and both are standing up with a 3x10 slot 5" up from bottom. Been modified year to year and so far working fine. IMO if your baitin' in a heavy brown/grizz area and have one come through your site, they really like pouncing on barrels left on their sides, atleast the 2 I had in last year did, the barrels had to be replaced because of the damage...

I have always wondered about standing a 55 gallon up, attaching it to a tree and putting a hole towards the bottom, hhhmmm. How do you keep it full and enough bait in it to keep the bears coming back? Looks to me like a little shake by a bear and it is like a slot machine, all your bait ends up on the ground.

Default 2 55 gal

i've got 2 permits and 2 drums guess i'll try one up one on side then i'll know or not that's hunting thanks for the input
    come on river break-up

Quote Originally Posted by rmonty View Post
    I have always wondered about standing a 55 gallon up, attaching it to a tree and putting a hole towards the bottom, hhhmmm. How do you keep it full and enough bait in it to keep the bears coming back? Looks to me like a little shake by a bear and it is like a slot machine, all your bait ends up on the ground.
    Place the hole or "square" (as mine usually turns out), more toward the top of the barrel. Then place 2 holes on each side at the top and 2 holes on each side at the bottom. This will hold the barrel to the tree when you put your chain, cable, etc through the barrel and around the tree. Fill up and let the fun begin. I usually check my bait once a week and refill. Standing the barrel up gives you good guidance on a nice size bear if the back is flush or over the top of barrel while standing on all 4's.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefhunts5bear
    come on river break-up
    Just FYI: Big Su is flowing but LOW. Put in at the DESCHKA last Sun.
    Last edited by Dodgefan01; 05-14-2010 at 11:38. Reason: I can't spell...