Thread: Tonsina River

Default Tonsina River

Looking on any info of the Tonsina River from the Richardson Hway down to the Copper. Has it changed since the '06 flood and in what ways?

Default Tonsina

I ran it a couple of years ago and did encounter a couple of river-wide sweepers, typical of Alaskan rivers. Most of the river was fun, with good drops, and we had a good time. The part I did not enjoy, was the part where wood is piled 10 feet high along both banks. If the river IS HIGH, I do not think I would suggest it to anyone but an expert. At medium water its pretty easy, but the wood section is not a playground. If you have not ran it, I posted a few pics in the kayaking section

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by markoathout View Post
    I ran it a couple of years ago and did encounter a couple of river-wide sweepers, typical of Alaskan rivers. Most of the river was fun, with good drops, and we had a good time. The part I did not enjoy, was the part where wood is piled 10 feet high along both banks. If the river IS HIGH, I do not think I would suggest it to anyone but an expert. At medium water its pretty easy, but the wood section is not a playground. If you have not ran it, I posted a few pics in the kayaking section
    Mark's points are right on:

With the wood issues (willow/alders hangin' out to big stuff) creating the sweepers, strainers, and stacked piles up along banks (occasionally both sides plus mid channel in some places)... relax or are a bit tired at some point in the day; these wooded parts can demand alertness and some reserve energy. River trip can be a cold one, so don't let this sap your energy levels --- keep on your toes looking ahead and listening.

Mark:

When does the river drop from what you consider "High" and expert level down to medium water and "Fun"?

What sized raft is suitable? 14? 16?

Walt

Default Another good source

Mike and Jen here is there contact data

http://www.riverwrangellers.com/Day.html

Mike runs the river many times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    Mark:

When does the river drop from what you consider "High" and expert level down to medium water and "Fun"?

What sized raft is suitable? 14? 16?

Walt
    Brian here... I know the question was addressed to Mark, yet pretty sure Markoathout would agree --- Tonsina is not a too demanding river at any certain water levels. Think terms of what both of us were relating was more along the lines of pay attention and look ahead... river conditions can change and be aware of sweepers/strainers/logs. Any size raft or cataraft will do ya.

Sorry Brian!

Default no guage

If the water seems muddy, swollen, etc., we might consider it high. I usually look at the highwater brush lines along the banks to judge ungauged rivers, or look on the USGS site for another one close by to compare that has a gauge.
    Another point,June spring melt is usually higher water, July, August, minus big storms, usually means lower water, unless the source is largely glacial.
    All we are really trying to say is, be careful, it can have some wood issues when using a raft.