Thread: Mtn Hardweare Spire 2.1 tent

Default Mtn Hardweare Spire 2.1 tent

Anybody ever use one? I've got an opportunity to pick one up for a great price. Planning on carrying it into the hills for sheep/goats this fall.

I like what I've seen on it because:
    -2 pole design is supposed to be very strong
    -two doors with vestibules, easy in/out and vestibule storage
    -lightweight

The guy told me it should withstand just about anything you throw at it........

Your thoughts?

thanks.
    Brian

How good is the price? Heavy for one person.

Lightbulb

Mountain Hardwear has some innovative designs and is typically very good stuff. Company QC is first rate!

As you probably know, particular (mentioned for a good deal) tent was discontinued in the 4-season variety... brought back in the 3-season mode having screening and a different name-tagging.

This should tell ya a little something:
    a.) Not quite up to 4-season Mtn H. standards
    b.) More popular choice for lower 48 campers where the screen is nice for ventilation or star-gazing.

In our fully-guided program and self-guided camp gear rentals we have Mountain Hardwear's direct support and lifetime guaranty on the tents... they have been a very good outfit to deal directly with (rarely needed). I use Trango 3.1 Arch and Trango 2 tents. Spendy - but worth it ridge-running or wide open in exposed areas.

Primary feature I see as bad for Alaska on the tent you posted is the shorter ridging pole above vestibule openings... Weak point for certain. Placed up so high it creates a large, flatter-faced, unsupported stretch of fabric across this section... wind, rain and snow loading is a problem point with this geometry. Just not a good place or means of 'tensioning' off a point like this - better it be a shelf tension. Hope this makes some sense?

This geometry lends itself to roomy/spacious feel talking like headroom/shoulder-room and ventilation... but not best choice for nasty Alaska fall sheep hunting conditions.

Default thanks!!

Another great reason why I read/post stuff on this board. Such a grea expanse of knowledge and information available to everyone.

Thanks for the info. I am learning just how much actually goes into selecting a tent!!!

Brian