Thread: Sept bear/deer hunt

Default Sept bear/deer hunt

Hello,
    my dad and I are researching for a deer/bear hunt on POW. We are thinking of being there during the 1st or 2nd week of Sept. We understand that probably our best chance for a couple bucks will be up high. The question is where are the black bears during that time of year?
    Do you still find them along the streams, clearcuts or are some of them up high too?
    What is your best opinion on the best time to hunt there for a deer/bear combo. No later than the 1st week of October though cause we hunt deer and elk here in Colorado during that time and whitetails in Minnesota for November.

Thanks for you help
    Brian

You can not use a vehicle to bear hunt on POW during Sept.

I seen that, does that just mean road hunting or can you drive to a place and then get out and hunt? We don't want/like to road hunt. We enjoy getting away from everyone else and hunting.
    I hope that doesn't mean you have to walk from your cabin???

Basically it means you do have to hike from your cabin. Too many sows were getting shot on the rivers as they are concentrated looking for fish and easily accessed. The skull size of harvested bears has been on a downward trend and this is an attempt to curb the harvest of the smaller bears. Seems like a good idea and should keep the sow kill down. The actual language is:

"Southern Southeast Islands Controlled Use Area: All of Unit 2; The area is closed to the use of any motorized land vehicle for black bear hunting Sept 1-Sept 30. However, this prohibition does not apply to the transportation of black bear hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of black bears directly to or from publicly owned airports, the Alaska State Ferry Terminals, commercial lodging, department designated boat launches (contact ADF&G in Craig or Ketchikan for a map that identifies these boat launches), or US Forest Service Cabins at Staney Creek and Twelve Mile Arm if you are the registered guest(s)."

Contact Fish and Game in Craig or Ketchikan with questions they can give a much better explanation than I can.

As far as your question on where to find bears that time of year I would concentrate on berry patches and fish streams.

I think the best way for you to do a bear/deer combo hunt in Sept is to fly over from Ktown to a remote lake that is at the base of a mountain that has alpine and has a salmon stream dumping out of it. Hike up the mountain for your bucks, and hunt the river for your bears. Keep in mind you'll be starting from a low elevation at the lake and alpine usually starts at 2k, so it'll be a pretty good hike.

It means you could drive you truck, park it, and hike for 5 hours straight up over a pass and see a black bear, and you couldn't shoot it because your trip started from a motorized vehicle from the road system.

To hunt deer and bear in septermber these days, you'll need to start from the salt, which means a boat is involved. Oh, and you must leave from a dock. You can't just drop in on many of the 1000ish bays, paddle out to a salmon stream and kill a bear.

One last note, the further you get into Septermber, expect rain, and more of it.

Default fall black bear hunt and fishing in early sept.

any suggestions on fall black bear hunts in early sept. landing anchorage where to go? and whatever time we have left like to do some fishing or maybe do both at same time if there's streams to fish and hunt or maybe look for berries, this will be my first experience of Alaska.