Thread: Wind on leaders

Default Wind on leaders

Curious if anyone is using wind on leaders? I have been using a top shot of mono on the rods I fish with braid, but the double uni isn't the smoothest running through the guides, and being about to change out the leader w/o retying would be nice. I've got enough spare dacron and mono to tie up enough leaders for several seasons.

We have been using them on our heavy halibut gear for a couple of seasons. It works great - the knot making the double line in the braid slides right through the guides. We use 65# braid with a 100# wind-on.

Big_E

I use 50 and 65# braid on the but rods, so plan on 80# wind ons, on the salmon/rockfish rods I use 30# braid and plan on 50# wind ons.

What length wind ons do you use? I'm thinking somewhere between 12 and 20 feet.

I use the offshore swivel with modifications and for a couple reasons...

If you double the line back 4-5' and tie a half knot with 3 passes and then tie the offshore Swivel you will have a very small knot coming through the eyes and if a fish gets a tail-wrap in the line going down you`ll have twice the abrasion resistance...up to the length that you double it. The knot/line strength is the same whether or not one of the doubled portions is broken. This knot also doesn`t clamp down hard on the swivel/hook and chaffe the line like other styles that are tightened against the swivel/hook. This system retains an incredible amount of line strength and can honestly say I`ve never had one portion broken and had the other side let go.

This won`t let you wind on a leader but figured a newer solid knot couldn`t hurt to have in the bag of tricks.
    http://www.netknots.com/html/offshore_swivel_knot.html

The wind-ons we use are 12' - 15' when new, and we use them until they get down to 4' - 5'. We retie several times a day when jigging, so we often get a week of fishing out of one leader. A potential downside of this set-up is that the weakest link can easily become a lightly scuffed spot in the main line, making major line loss on a snag a likely possibility.

I use 30# braid on my salmon gear, with a 15' long 40# mono leader. I double the braid and then attach the leader with a worm knot. That knot gets thourgh the guides well enough so I haven't tried a wind-on, but a wind-on would certainly be a cleaner way to go.

Big_E

I'm not familiar with the "wind on leader". Can somebody explain this, and where can I get them, I'm always interested in something new.

Personally I use about a 10 or 12 foot long bimini twist so I get a few wraps of double line on the real before the fish breaks the surface, then I put my heavy duty halibut style swivel with the pigtail on this double line with the off shore swivel knot as mentioned above. After the swivel, use whatever you want, twist your jig right on to the swivel, or myself, I always use a certain amount of 60 thread gangion line before the jig or my double hook set-up, that I tie up myself when using bait. I use 80 lb. spider wire, and you don't want that down in the area that might get chafed, it is not happy with any abrasion.

The bimini twist is a 100% knot, and the off shore swivel knot can break 1 strand and the other strand is still good to go. Some people are afraid to try these knots or don't want to take the time, but with very little practice you will be able to tie both knots in about 3 to 4 minutes, and you're good to go. Plus you can really impress your friends.

Have a look at http://www.bhptackle.com/index.php for lots of info on wind-on leaders. They will almost certainly save you rigging time on the water. For example, tie a short double (15 seconds), connect the wind-on loop to loop, (10 seconds), tie on a jig (10 seconds) and you are ready to go.

I use a Roy Rose knot (7 turn overhand knot) to tie the short double in spectra; it is much easier to tie on a bouncy boat than a bimini.

Big_E