Thread: Where to go and What to bring

Default Where to go and What to bring

I will be arriving in Seward on May 19 and working as a deckhand on a resort boat. On my days off where is the best place to go and do some personal fishing? I am really looking for any tips or info so i know what to expect when I get up there. Thanks guys and see you in a week

fish are not in...

Sounds like he will be here more than a few days.

Best advice is to read the forums here and search for key words for the information you need. After searching the forums, you can ask any questions that you may need more information on.

Lots to do and lots of fish around Seward. You should have a great time!
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by stop4mallards View Post
    I will be arriving in Seward on May 19 and working as a deckhand on a resort boat. On my days off where is the best place to go and do some personal fishing? I am really looking for any tips or info so i know what to expect when I get up there. Thanks guys and see you in a week
    The question is, do you have a boat at your disposal on your days off? If so the possibilities are endless.

Do you? Or are you talking bank and/or stream fishing? I assume since this is the "freshwater" forum you're talking freshwater.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If you are looking for tips on fishing in Alaska, this forum is the place to be. I think in order to be the best help to you, there are some more questions that need to be answered. Other than the questions Muttley asked, is there any specific type of fish you want, or do you want to just catch whatever you can?

I'm not going to have a boat to run around with on my days off just mainly looking for good shore spots and areas close to Seward worth my time. I would like to hit the salmon runs but try an stay away from the big crowds also. If thats possible im not sure. I will be there for 3 months so if anyone wants to show me around you can send me an email at ppgainey@comcast.net

Take a look at all of the fishing reports here: http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...1.09-5.27.html

There is a ton of good information about where fish were caught all around the area in those reports and can be an invaluable aid in determining where to go when you get here.

One of your best bets is going to be the Resurrection River just outside of town. There is an excellent run of reds that go in there in mid-June and opens to fishing June 16th.

And of course there's the Kenai. The Russian River area is one of the most popular fisheries going and if you're there on the right day you can limit out in no time. Of course since it's one of the most popular areas it can get very "combat" there most of the time. Other than the Resurrection River it's probably the closest salmon hot spot going.

There are also many other fishing opportunities close by for rainbows, grayling and dollies, but I've never fished them so can't be of much help there. Some really good "hike in" lakes and streams. Good way to see wildlife, too. Maybe someone else can help you out with those.

And for shore fishing around Seward the popular spots are pretty obvious when there are fish in close because there will be plenty of people fishing in them. The culverts in town are a pretty popular spot, off the beach out at Lowell Point can be a really good spot and one of my favorites later in the year when the silvers are running in that close if just off the rocks along Lowell Point Rd. It doesn't ever get crowded along there because there is just so much room and on a good day you can catch a bunch of silvers without much problem. But that's later in the summer like into August.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com