Thread: Air horns to scare away bears??

Default Air horns to scare away bears??

Anybody ever tested using one of those hand held air horns in a can to scare away bears??
    Thanks

Default air horns

I carry one, while working my summer job with f&G we spend some time on some remote creeks filled with spawning fish and have run into a lot of bears while walking the streams. Sometimes it spooks them off and other times they could care less. But any noise you make while walking in the woods to keep bears aware of your presence is a smart thing to do and the horns are definitely loud. Any bend in the creeks we come to where we cant see for a good distance we blow the horns and are always talking and doing the hey bear chant. sometimes it doesnt effect them but im sure there are many we have spooked off after blowing the horns that we never saw. some are very concentrated on feeding and dont really want to give up thier spot most just run off once they see us. Never had a problem with any being aggressive though. And yes we do have at least 3 gunners with us when we are working.

Default Dazer

any one ever try a Dazer on a bear. Its a ultra sonic device.My wife used to do a lot of rural walking and most of the nieghborhood dogs were free range. A friend gave her one and I tested it on the biggest and most agressive. It would stop em in thier tracks at about 50 feet> Wonder if it would work on a bear. http://www.dazer.com/dog-deterrent.jsp

my guess is that bears hearing might not be ultrasonic. I've heard of them working fine, you just gotta make lots of noise so the bears at least know that you are there as oppose to scaring them.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Cool Air horn for bears

Well, I guess if you are in the woods and a bear toots and sounds like an air horn, you will know someone tried it..............
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Red face Hawkin made me do it.

Lets see how does it go...........

How do you tell black bear scat from brown bear scat? Black bear scat has bells in it and brown bear scat smells like pepper spray.... or has air horns in it

Thank God spring is right around the corner!

On a serious note.....the only times I intentionally sneak quietly through bear country is when I'm hunting. I hunt with firearms, so I'm fairly well covered. If I happen to be in bear country while alone fishing, I'm one noisy SOB. No bear will be surprised to see me. Surprised bears are dangerous bears. I wouldn't trust an air horn against a bear who's defending his turf.

One trick I like for night prowling animals in camp or at the cabin is road flares. Animals don't like them. I can't say if it's the smell, the light, or the noise that they don't like, and I don't care.

If I saw somebody that looked like me in the woods in his underwear prancing around with a flare I wouldn't stick around, either.

Wink

I worked at a camp and this bear showed up. (there were salmon in a creek close by) so we were trying to scare it off. we used everything air horns, shouting at it, flash bangs. what finally worked was someone with a camrea took a picture and from a 100 yds this bear stood up and just took of running (hates tourrists as much as the rest of ) so you never know I wouldn't trust just a air horn though

Hahaha! I don't know but I don't want to be the one to try it out. I've tried banging rocks together with some success, but that's definitely not going to be my last resort. I love it when someone wants to buy a 9mm handgun for bear "just to scare them off with the noise." Whatever.... An airhorn is way cheaper than a 9mm and nearly as effective.

Default Camera flash & strobes

I have a photographer friend who was charged by a Kodiak bear. He had no gun and decided at the last moment to take a picture before he was eaten. At about 4 feet the camera flash turned the bear around. I wonder about a handheld emergincy strobe light. Aleut lore says bears will disappear durring and after a lighting storm.

Default air horn?

I would seriously prefer muzzle blast/flash

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I would seriously prefer muzzle blast/flash
    ditto.....

Talking

Id prefer 4 concrete walls with a roof!!!

Default Air horn worked pretty well

We had black bears around the neighborhood in Anchorage all last summer (Neighbor has rabbits). Two juvenals, and a sow. Air horn worked pretty well, but they generally would only run about 50 feet, and then climb a tree. Toward the end of the summer they were getting more accustomed to the air horn. I also tried shooting them with a wrist-rocket that worked ok

In general the bears were scared of people, dogs, and noises, the sling shot just pissed them off.

My Air Horn Is A S & W 500
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I tried one and it worked well the first time a bear heard it. Not so good the second time, and not at all the third time.

So, I guess effectiveness depends mostly on where you stand in the line of people depending on them. First come, first served in other words.

Bears are pretty easy to startle the first time they encounter something new. It also depends on their individual confidence or where they stand in the pecking order of bears. After something has startled them once but didn't hurt, they're not going to pay much attention the next time they see or hear it.

Heck I even had one bear take off like a scalded cat when it suddenly came on a coiled yellow poly rope I dropped on a beach. It was his turf and it was something new he didn't expect. I knew him from past encounters too, and he was also the bottom dog locally. He never stayed around long to check out anything that didn't compute.

I've also launched a 300 grain 375 H&H bullet right between the ears of a big sow from about 20 feet- not more than an inch above her skull. Twice, as a matter of fact. She didn't even flinch as that thing broke the sound barrier right between her ears simultaneous with the roar of the rifle. Kinda dimmed my enthusiasm for any noise maker.

For me the air horn might be as good as a yell or bad singing or even a bear bell for letting them know you're in the neighborhood, but I sincerely doubt it's ability to consistently chase one off, especially after a few aps. Heck, I'd even take bear spray over an air horn.

Smile Air horn?

Just hope like hell the bear doesn't misinterpret the air horn for a loud azz predator call!