Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kroil oil

Default Kroil oil

I have been reading more and more of people using Kroil oil to remove carbon deposits in their rifle cleaning routine. On Jim Borden's web page he uses a 1/3 mixture of Kroil to 2/3 Shooters choice.

Has anyone used it before? I know you can purchase Kroil at Midway, but is it sold in Anchorage?

I don't remember seeing it in Anchorage, but I found a can of Kroil at Chimo Guns in Wasilla.

Default NAPA auto parts

Kanos Aero Kroil is available at NAPA auto parts. here in Soldotna price is @ $17 a can.
    They also make a silicon based oil called Silikroil.
    I have not ried either on guns but Aero kroil is the best penetrant for loosining stuck nuts and bolts in the world bar none.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    ......... but Aero kroil is the best penetrant for loosining stuck nuts and bolts in the world bar none.
    +1, I don't know how they keep it in the can!!!!!
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I have not ried either on guns but Aero kroil is the best penetrant for loosining stuck nuts and bolts in the world bar none.
    Recently found some stuff called PB Blaster that works just as well and maybe a little better. Smells bad though..

I use both for aircraft and firearms.

Watch out for using lots of creeping penetrating type oils on bolt parts and magazines. Some of these will eat right into your primers.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I use Kroil. I run a wet patch through the barrel when leaving the range and let it do it's thing until I get home. I believe it makes cleaning the barrel much easier. Some reports even claim it gets under copper fouling and aids in it's removal, I can't attest to that but my barrels clean up real well in a short amount of time.

I run a dry patch to remove the kroil prior to using traditional solvents. When I'm finished I run a kroil patch down the bore followed by one dry patch and put her away.

very good stuff on weapons sure cleans them up nice, it even broke some parts loose for me on a model t dump bed from the 30's. I think it's at all the parts stores?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default I phoned NAPA

and I also called Chimo. NAPA does not carry the non-aerosol version and Chimo sid they did not have any right now.
    It is good to see that others have tried it first hand. I will keep looking and will write if I find any.

Jacovich in Anchorage has it. It is a little expensive at about $8/$9 a 1/2 pint but it's the best penetrating oil I've ever seen.

Default Kroil

I used the stuff in the early to mid 70s on guns and cars. Tried their other stuff as well - I was in east TN and they offered free shipping out of Nashville. I was working on Corvairs at the time and some of the steel bolts in the aluminum block were tough to remove. I also used it on a bunch of guns I had that had been in a fire. Stuff seemed to work about as well as anything else and was cheap.

When I went overseas in mid 1976 I left a partial gallon in the orginal can and also some in a Kroil squirt pump oiler in my garage. When I got back in early 79 both the can and the oiler were heavily rusted on the inside from the Kroil and vapors.

They may have changed the formula but I won't recomment leaving it on any steel parts or using it to prevent rust!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

They have pretty good promotional deals at times.

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

Try Fire and Fasteners in Anchor town.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Recently found some stuff called PB Blaster that works just as well and maybe a little better. Smells bad though..

I use both for aircraft and firearms.

Watch out for using lots of creeping penetrating type oils on bolt parts and magazines. Some of these will eat right into your primers.
    PB Blaster will attack / dissolve some plastics too, so be careful with the stuff around synthetic stocks etc.

PB Blaster will attack / dissolve some plastics too, so be careful with the stuff around synthetic stocks etc.
    Plus it REALLY HURTS when you get it in your eyes....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Yep but..

I "tried" some of their delas but they won't ship to Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by ragtop View Post
    They have pretty good promotional deals at times.

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Bearing Engineering next door to Bushco on International

Default Aviation Parts stores

I'd bet a few at Merril Field will have some. We use it in our shop here in Fairbanks too. In fact I take care of our waste stream and I've had to haul off cans that all the aersol was lost and still had liquid or the caps broke off inside. I hate to do that but nobody around the shop seems to want to mess with it.

Kroil is great stuff. I mix it 50/50 with Hoppes #9, and then I let it soak in the bore over-night...I stand the rifle in the corner (muzzle down) on several folded paper towels.

Doc

I don't recall a single marine supply store or fuel dock I've ever visited that didn't sell it. If you've got either in Anchorage, they've probably got Kroil. About as standard on boats as WD-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Kroil is great stuff. I mix it 50/50 with Hoppes #9, and then I let it soak in the bore over-night...I stand the rifle in the corner (muzzle down) on several folded paper towels.

Doc
    I agree, great stuff, and I do the exact same thing as Doc describes. I think I heard about it hear on this forum a couple of years ago, heck maybe it was Doc who turned me on to that recipe and method..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast