Thread: Remington 870 problem

Default Remington 870 problem

Anybody come across with this kind of problem with 870 pump?
    It happened once that even though round was in chamber and I pulled
    the trigger all I heard was "click". I waited some 15sec. after that I chambered another round (pump) and that went off OK. I checked the failed shell and there was no any markings in the primer at all. It looks the hammer did not even touch the primer.
    This gun is pretty new and not much shot, I changed the barrel to shorter
    20" cause this is my "bear gun". The original barrel was 28".

This problem happened only once but I'm still thinking to get it to gunsmith for checking. Could the problem be that the fore-end was not pushed far enough? But in that case trigger should not go off?
    Any ideas what to check? Thanks!

Default 870

I might add that the fore-end was fully locked in front position
    and fore-end was released (for pumping) after "click" problem happened.
    Also I shot the failing shell afterwards without any problems.
    I've put only like 100 rounds through that 870 afterwards
    and no problems...

I've never had any problems with my 870 and used to shoot trap & skeet weekly. Owned the gun since it was new and am on my second barrel (replaced as a precaution under direction of gunsmith).

Sounds like a fluke, if you've not had any problems since the one weird round, I wouldn't worry about it. If it happened again, then I'd take it in.

With it being so new as you stated, it hasn't fully been broken in. May have a small buildup of dried oil that is getting removed as you utilize the shotgun. Keep it well oiled and clean, keep checking it and you should be fine.

Default Be glad...

it didn't misfire under the intended circumstances that you bought the gun for...

My guess, bein' brand new, packin' grease on the spring where the firing pin is, probably got in the way...

>>> it didn't misfire under the intended circumstances that you bought the gun for...

Luckily not

Ok, Thanks for advice, I already started to clean/lube it thoroughly
    and planning to use it a lot on range before going to field next time...
    mhunter

Default mhunter

I owned a sporting clays range for about 10 years - had tons of pump guns come thru and one thing that happened on occasion was the brand of ammo would cause that in some.
    It seems the aluminum based cases and some imports made to metric specs would on occasion do this.
    Not saying its your guns problem but def a place to look into???
    Is yours an Express or Wingmaster mdl? Express mdls are rougher and may not have as good of fit and tight tolerances?
    Could also be any type of grease or dirt or powder fowling as mentioned.
    All places to look - I for one would want to have it working PERFECTLY if my arse was depending on it!

Default Brenneke

The failing shell was Brenneke Black Magic magnum slug (remember this is bear gun). Now I put the gun under heavy testing and I want to convince myself it's reliable. For now I think I just haven't broken it in properly yet.
    mhunter

Default MD

What model of 870 is it?

Default 870

model 870 express super magnum with laminate stock (12gauge 3 1/2in)

Default Mhunter

You may have good results like you said after a break in period - the Express line is rough to say the least.
    I am not coordinated enuff to run 3 1/2 in shells through a pump - heck, I jam 3in shells!
    I ran a couple thousand rounds through a 870 Wingmaster I bought new for competition shooting before I felt it was smooth enough to suit me. I wanted that slide to drop open when I held it upright and pressed the release.
    Good Luck!

hap

The 870 firing pin is held in place with a cross pin that rides in a cut-out portion of the firing pin base. The cross pin limits rotation of the firing pin.

If the firing pin breaks in that thinner, recessed area it can still stay in place and function most of the time. Every once in a while an 870 pin will break and only rarely cause a misfire. I have seen every level of strike from none to more than enough when this happens.

Look carefully at the primers that did fire. Are they consistent? In a new gun it is possible very little peening of the broken ends of the firing pins has happened yet, so that is not conclusive.

Unfortunately, checking it requires complete disassembly of the bolt. The rebound spring prevents any easy check from the front end. I have seen a couple that obviously functioned for a very long time before showing any symptoms, but the pin ends were heavily peened.

That is one of the things I like best about the 870.
    art

Oh... And 870s work better with far less lube than more... Keep it light and non-gumming. WD-40 has ZERO use on firearms...

Smile shoot again...

Put the offending round in the gun and try to shoot it again. If it goes bang forget about it and if it goes click toss it. In the last 20+ years I have seen many "clicks" on 870's on a firing range. A few were mine. In each case it was operator error and a round was thought to be in the chamber. If clicks persist then I would say a gun smith should check it out. I use use the same slugs.

Heck, how new is it? Maybe Remington should take care of it. Still, after shooting a bunch of heavy duck/goose loads through my 870 Express (3" loads), it had problems extracting. A gunsmith smoothed it up and never had another problem. It is a pretty bulletproof system.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Put the offending round in the gun and try to shoot it again. If it goes bang forget about it and if it goes click toss it. In the last 20+ years I have seen many "clicks" on 870's on a firing range. A few were mine. In each case it was operator error and a round was thought to be in the chamber. If clicks persist then I would say a gun smith should check it out. I use use the same slugs.
    After more than many experiences with more than many 870s I am more than willing to believe the original poster's story. After more than a few experiences with broken firing pins working exactly as described I submit ignoring the issue will not make things better...
    YMMV

I find it odd that the OP's original description says the offending round did not show any strike from the firing pin. That will usually only happen when the bolt is partially unlocked and the locking lug prevents the pin from going forward. Sounds like the gun was only partially locked when the hammer fell. And it did what it was supposed to do. Prevent the shell from firing in a partially locked position. I would, however, inspect the FP for damage as previously described. Other than that, a well maintained 870 is pretty failsafe. Also make sure the forend wood is tight on the forend tube, because that will cause some related problems if it is loose. Good luck!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I had something like that happen with a test gun from "another brand" (and it wasn't Mossberg) and it turned out to be an issue where the gun could fire without being completely chambered. The company which will remain nameless, fixed the issue with a very red face.

Your safety is never anything to mess around with. What is a few bucks to a gunsmith to have it checked out?

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Default status

Hi, I just wanted to report the final outcome of this issue.

I tested manually the firing pin like 250-300 times, press and release and ca.35 times
    the firing pin was stuck in and did come out by force of spring. Also like 6-7 times the firing pin stuck when I pressed it in (pin did not go in but stuck!!).

At this point I decided to get my 870 to gunsmith. Smith polished and cleaned firing pin and the firing pin channel.

I tested afterwards and now firing pin moves smoothly and does not stuck
    any more.
    Clearly there were rough surfaces and/or some debris inside firing pin channel
    and that caused misfire.
    Now the weakest link is not the gun anymore but...myself
    Thanks for all comments, this is great forum!!
    mhunter

Thank you for letting us know what the outcome was and that it has been fixed. I had yet to hear of this kind of problem, but glad it didn't happen when it was needed.

Congrats & Enjoy the range.

Default sand

Had the same thing happen to me with the biggest buck of my life in my sights, however, after chambering another round, same thing happened. Took the gun home, after considering leaving it in the woods, took it apart and no damage to anything, found one grain of sand in the trigger mechanism/sear. cleaned it thoroughly, went to range and BAM! Could be, you had the same problem, but the action of pumping and rechambering could have dislodged the obstruction.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Anybody come across with this kind of problem with 870 pump?
    It happened once that even though round was in chamber and I pulled
    the trigger all I heard was "click". I waited some 15sec. after that I chambered another round (pump) and that went off OK. I checked the failed shell and there was no any markings in the primer at all. It looks the hammer did not even touch the primer.
    This gun is pretty new and not much shot, I changed the barrel to shorter
    20" cause this is my "bear gun". The original barrel was 28".

This problem happened only once but I'm still thinking to get it to gunsmith for checking. Could the problem be that the fore-end was not pushed far enough? But in that case trigger should not go off?
    Any ideas what to check? Thanks!
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~