Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a quality knife/knives.

Default Looking for a quality knife/knives.

I have many hunting knives and I am not really happy with any of them. They don't keep an edge. My last sheep hunt I ended up using three of them and was wishing I had four or five. Also any ideas where I can take my knives and get them sharpened?

Thanks

Laugh if you want but since I bought a Cutco (serrated edge) knife and did the gutting and skinning with it I've never needed any of my several other knives. These days I carry a Buck drop point fold-up as a backup, but the Cutco has never needed help. That's through a couple a caribou, a brown bear, several moose, three elk, and many deer. It hasn't been sharpened once. No joke.

That sounds really strange to me. I've skinned entire elk and moose with a single pocket knife, and brand didn't seem to matter. They all need a quick touch with a good steel now and then, but remain sharp otherwise.

Not suggesting you shouldn't buy more knives, because they're neat to have. But I'd sure talk to the pro sharpener you are looking for about your own methods, because something seems way out of whack.

As for a pro sharpener, I recall a funky looking shop in Anchorage that both sells and sharpens. Don't remember where exactly, but I'm sure it was on one of the parallel arteries--- either Benson, Tudor, 36th or Intl. Airport, because it was on my right as I headed toward the mountains. Not too far out from Spenard as I recall, so it probably wasn't Airport.

Thumbs up Cutco

Cutco all the way! I have their drop point and clip point hunting knives and both have done SEVERAL animals before I ever thought about sending them in to get sharpened. The serrated edge is great. They make a good fillet knife too BTW.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Cutco

I purchased a cutco serrated edge knife prior to our moose hunt last year, this is the only knife you will need....I skinned and quartered 2 moose and 8 deer with it so far and im just thinking about a new edge on it. Oh yah life time guarantee for sharpening. I also use a Helle for general purpose use on my hunts. Good Luck Dave

Default A new knife

I have used a Swiss Amry hunter knife with a saw for the last 15 years and have opened up a number of moose, caribou, elk, deer and antelope over the years. It is the only knife that I have ever needed with the exception of moose which I feel one needs and additonal true boning knife.

Several years ago on this forum I was introduced to the Helle knifes and bought one with a small blade and a big handle -- I never used it. Last Saturday I was at the local sportmans show in Bozeman and saw a collection of Helle Knives and I purchase a new one called the Eggen with a 4 inch blade and birch handle. Very sharp. When I got home I used a very fine diamond stone for additional sharping which it did not need. Sunday I killed a cow elk in the Madison Valley. The knife open up that animal in several cuts and when I was done it was as sharp as when I started. It is the best Knife that I have ever used. But I still used the saw on my Swiss knife for the bisket and pelvis bone.

Default Agree w/Brown Bear

All knives have to be sharpened eventually, except Mr. Pids cutco! (Just kidding!). I've successfully have used a Coast knife and Buck for moose since 1990. Just bought a new Buck with a gut hook to try out next season.

Good luck

Tim

Default Cutco

I have to 100% agree with Mr PID, & AKMUD on the cutco.
    I have been using them for a long time and have lost count on how many Moose/Caribou these things have seen.

It is still a good idea to send them in for sharpening every few years, but I have not been to faithful in doing it.

The one thing I love is the flouresent orange handle. Makes it easy to find when you set it down in a gutpile.

Default Helle

I second the Helle - any of the ones with laminated blades, Symphoni is my favorite. Benchmade 705 is my edc, and that would do the job, too.

Northern knives sharpens, and is a pretty cool place to browse.
    Drink indigenous.

Default Cutco

Cutco is the way to go. They have a great edge. I have also used the Cold Steel SRK. It is a well built survival knife. It hold a pretty good edge too.

I think much has too do with the kind of steel a knife is made of. Good tool steel will sharpen and hold an edge longer, stainless is a bit harder to put an edge on but will hold up a bit better in certain conditions. I have used my two Randall's for the past 25 years and I know of no other knife that can handle various conditions such as Randall. This is just my preference, it also depends on the kind of cutting you will be doing. There are serveral bevels which can be honed on the edge all which need to be applied at different angles. Taking your blade to a knife sharpener is not a bad option but it is easier and cheaper to do research and hone them yourself.

Default Anza

I discovered Anza Knives a year or so ago and purchased two of them. They make some beautiful custom knives and they make their blades out of old files which are high carbon tool steel. They really hold an edge. I love 'em!

http://www.anzaknives.com/story/anza%20story.htm

Thumbs up Another Vote...

for CUTCO...all the way. I have several and they are all great. The fish fillet knife is awsome as well.

Default customs and cutco

I own and still use several different knives. Some custom knives and some factory knives.

My latest custom favorite is from Ken Warner of BlackJack Knives out of Greenville, WV. My hunting partner and knife guru brought me a Warner special from last year's east coast knife show. I now own several of the BlackJack Smalls and BlackJack Slicks... They are amazing. *Two moose and counting. The price is nice as well.

http://www.knifeware.com/blstsm.html
    http://www.knifeware.com/blackjackslick.html

With that said I too will throw in a vote on Cutco's knives. I own the drop point diamond D (serrated edge), a two blade cutco folder and one of their fillet knives. These too are quite amazing.

I used the small folder on 5 caribou, 5 deer and a black bear... I've still not had it sharpened but I'd consider it before my next trip...

One note... the folder is an awesome back up... I learned the hard way that (for me) folders are not the way to go as a primary... The fat and hair get stuck in places you CANNOT get out while in the field... Well - unless you boil the knife or spend some time with soap and water... I like being able to wash/wipe the knife off and move on... I don't really want to spend an hour trying to clean my knife.

I like a fixed blade as my primary and will retire the folder into my back up spot.

Cutco always has a booth at the sport'sman show...

Ps.. their steak knives and cheese knife beat anything I've ever seen...

I just purchased a custom damascus from http://www.damascususa.com/damascus.htm
    This guy makes some outstanding knives that are reasonably priced, very functional, and real old world craftsmanship. He also wont screw you on shipping charges.

Wink

We used a leatherman to skin an 11' brown bear. not ideal, but it did the trick.

take a look at the buck vanguard with full tang construction and kraton rubber handle. quality hunting or survival knife with 5" blade for $80. good value for the money.

big response on the cutco. anyone have a link for that?

sounds like i am missing out.

I have a number of knives as well as rifles. Nevertheless when I go hunting there are one or two favorite rifles I usually end up taking. The same hold true for knives. There is one Helle knife that I truly believe is ugly but "beauty is what beauty does" and that is why this is still one of my favorite and most used knives after more than 20 years of skinnin' critters.
    Last edited by shphtr; 07-29-2007 at 14:20.

Default Link

Here is a link to the cutcos that were talking about.

http://www.cutco.com/jsp/catalog/det...sembleId=10329

There are some dealers around the state and I usually see them at the fair and sportsmans show.

I just noticed the picture of the orange knife in the link is not serrated. The one I have is. I have never seen that model before.

Cutco makes straight edges and "double D" edges in the hunting models. The double D is the one that stays sharp. The conventional knives are good, too, but not like the double D.

Exclamation cutco group buy

does the double d provide a smooth edge cut? serrated knives usually give a jagged edge cut. i would not think that the double d would be the edge for a skinning knife.

is anyone up for a group buy for the orange handle 4.5" cutco drop point knife? cutting edge to be determined. regular price is $69. bulk buy should be cheaper price.

i rarely see so many guys agree on one particular peice of hunting gear. i must be missing out on something...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast