Thread: Gunsmith to work on 1911?

Default Gunsmith to work on 1911?

Can you guys recommend some one to do some work on a Kimber 1911 I just purchased? Looking to get a magwell, picatinny rail, and new sights installed. Thanks Jon

Frame rail?

On a Kimber we reccomend replacing at a minimum the slide stop bushing and thumb safety with good parts.

Depending on the sights on the gun, you may be forced to use the Kimber night sights

Default 1911 Gunsmith work

Hey Ken; I got a Colt 1991-A1 Stainless al original. Any idea,s on it?????

Ed Brown Beavetail, Tac safety, Trigger; Novaks, C&S Fire control parts,

Primo dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Frame rail?

On a Kimber we reccomend replacing at a minimum the slide stop bushing and thumb safety with good parts.

Depending on the sights on the gun, you may be forced to use the Kimber night sights
    Why couldn't I get this answer when I was in your store a few days ago? Instead of the guy behind the counter with the beard being a smartA? I just wanted prices to do the work I asked for not to listen to a smartA comment that I had to change every part on the gun. I'm definitly not opposed to suggestions of things I should change, but being a smartA isn't going to get my money!
    Anybody else have suggestions for some one to do the work I'm looking for? Thanks Jon

Quote Originally Posted by akracer View Post
    Why couldn't I get this answer when I was in your store a few days ago?
    Thats the answer I gave you. You didnt like it, so good luck finding someone who will tell you want you want to hear.

You get the same answer anyone who has a Kimber get. Change your parts out...

It's not the answer I didn't like it was your smartA tone. Why do I need to change out the parts? There seems to be a lot of people out there that rave about Kimber.

Default Just a thought

The Kimbers do use a lot of MIM parts. Depending on what you paid for the Kimber it may be cost prohibitive to do the work you want done to it. You may be better served selling the Kimber and buying an Ed Brown, Wilson, or Les Baer. If those are too spendy then check out Fusion firearms. The guy who started it used to work for Dan Wesson and for around $1400-2000 you can get a custom build with no MIM parts exactly how you want it. These might be the best bang for your buck.

My research into the subject on 1911's has shown that it is cheaper to buy a custom than to build one up from a Colt, Springfield, or Kimber. Unless you get a hell of a price on the initial firearm or are capable of doing all the work yourself.

Regards,

Jeff

Not really trying to build a custom just want to change a few things. This is my first 1911 and don't know a lot about them yet. I plan on looking for a better gun like you suggest but would like to get some work done to the Kimber first. Just looking for someone to work on the gun I have not tell me it needs a total rebuild without ever seeing it and without any explanation why. Thanks Jon

Default Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by akracer View Post
    Not really trying to build a custom just want to change a few things. This is my first 1911 and don't know a lot about them yet. I plan on looking for a better gun like you suggest but would like to get some work done to the Kimber first. Just looking for someone to work on the gun I have not tell me it needs a total rebuild without ever seeing it and without any explanation why. Thanks Jon
    Is there something malfunctioning? Go shoot the **** out of it. If something breaks then replace the part with a better one.

Default kimber

Here is my Kimber. It has had all the parts mentioned in this thread replaced by WWG. It wasn't broke when it was worked on.
    http://alaskashooters.com/Kimber1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tbuck View Post
    Is there something malfunctioning? Go shoot the **** out of it. If something breaks then replace the part with a better one.
    Exactly. I just wanted to get the sites changed and a magwell and rail installed. Was just trying to get prices to do the work when I was told I had to replace every part in the gun. Thanks Jon

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    The Kimbers do use a lot of MIM parts. Depending on what you paid for the Kimber it may be cost prohibitive to do the work you want done to it. You may be better served selling the Kimber and buying an Ed Brown, Wilson, or Les Baer. If those are too spendy then check out Fusion firearms. The guy who started it used to work for Dan Wesson and for around $1400-2000 you can get a custom build with no MIM parts exactly how you want it. These might be the best bang for your buck.

My research into the subject on 1911's has shown that it is cheaper to buy a custom than to build one up from a Colt, Springfield, or Kimber. Unless you get a hell of a price on the initial firearm or are capable of doing all the work yourself.

Regards,

Jeff
    +1

Thats what I did with my Kimber. I had Ken unload that turd and put the money towards my Wilson. I took a fair loss on the Kimber, but I have been happy with the Wilson ever since.

I look at it as a learning experience..... I won't be buying anymore Kimbers in the forseeable future.

For what its worth, I was there when you you were told to replace all the parts on your Kimber, and I think you are embellishing a bit. It sounded like good honest advise to me. I learned my lesson with Kimbers cheap MIM parts the hard way. I wish someone would have shared that kind of advise with me.

Default Questions...Questions

This looks like a good place to ask a few questions about a Colt 1911 that I have. First the history of the gun... It's a very early model of this weapon that was carried by my grandfather in WW1, when he passed it went to my father who was a marksman with this type of weapon in WW2. My dad put TONS of ammo through this weapon before he passed in 97. One thing I remember him telling me the last time we took it out to shoot was that it was going to need the "barrel bushing"(?) replaced because it was getting loose. Now while I really have no intention of shooting this weapon as much as my dad did I would like to take it out and put a box of ammo through it from time to time, and teach my kid to shoot it too. So my questions are... First just what part is the barrel bushing and does the barrel bushing being loose make the gun unsafe in any way(besides making it wildly inaccurate) and whats it going to take to repair it, is it just the bushing or do I need a barrel also. Thanks in advance for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by olspeed View Post
    This looks like a good place to ask a few questions about a Colt 1911 that I have. First the history of the gun... It's a very early model of this weapon that was carried by my grandfather in WW1, when he passed it went to my father who was a marksman with this type of weapon in WW2. My dad put TONS of ammo through this weapon before he passed in 97. One thing I remember him telling me the last time we took it out to shoot was that it was going to need the "barrel bushing"(?) replaced because it was getting loose. Now while I really have no intention of shooting this weapon as much as my dad did I would like to take it out and put a box of ammo through it from time to time, and teach my kid to shoot it too. So my questions are... First just what part is the barrel bushing and does the barrel bushing being loose make the gun unsafe in any way(besides making it wildly inaccurate) and whats it going to take to repair it, is it just the bushing or do I need a barrel also. Thanks in advance for any info.
    We would need to see it. If the parts are original and the gun is in good shape, dont change any parts. the bushing is the part that turns in in the front of the slide that holds the barrel in the slide btw

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    So for the guy not wanting to/cannot afford a Nighthawk, Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, etc., do you think that the aforementioned manufacturers rank near each other and why?