Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The price of crab...

Default The price of crab...

King Crab is still turning up in my market @ $8.99 per lb. for jumbo.

Tanner Crab can still be had for $3.99 per lb. for #1's.

These are astounding prices!

Crab in shell product is cooked and frozen for transit and retailing. Thaw in the refridgerator and then roll in a wet cotton towel and nuke for best results.

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

That's for golden king crab, right? We have goldens on sale in Anchorage for 7.49/lb, but the red kings have been ranging from 10-15/lb. The reds are better, but for half price the golden kings are just fine.

-Brian

Default prices

Yeah crab prices are falling due to all the Russian/norwegian crab from the Barents sea. They have been "farming" small crab out at sea, basically just taking baby crabs out and dumping em. Pretty much like we do with Red/pink salmon to get higher survival rates. Anyway they were able to harvest some last year, but apperently are getting LOTs of King Crab (reds only from what I hear) Red King Crab drive the pricies for other species of crab though as they are the most desired. Anyway try to support american fishers! Ask for Alaskan caught Crab. If they don't know where it came from don't buy it, or go ahead and buy it (but you'll hurt the american fishers that are already struggling with low dock prices.) (who hates crab ratz now?) Also Dutch Harbor is going to two processors apperently as Westward and Alyeska are merging. They COULD be controlling prices. or not.

I see dark days ahead for crab fishermen, if they haven't allready started
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Make no mistake...

Those 8.99 jumbo crab legs for sale at stores like safeway and costco are Russian Crab. You'll see the Alaskan product selling for much higher than that. I'm hearing that the Russians are somehow able to process their crab dead, although I've never bought any so I can't attest to how that effects their quality.

Default Russian Routettle...

It's the golden king crab that winds up on sale. The color is not red, nor does the outer body have any spines. They are larger than the red, which amazingly sometimes winds up selling for the same price or a dollar more.

Taste difference?

I have eaten both and find the flavor to be identical. They know me at the market so well that they run the boxes for me to cull out the large claws and elbows. Lucky me. I'm in crab heaven, and if I've been eating any dead processed crab from the Ruskies there have been no ill effects...

Default Taste

What do you mean, "no ill effects"? I think your taste buds are going...

Default Crab legs

Hey folks, I live on Kauai, we now have a Costco here (opened end of October) and the crab they sell have been consistently @ 9.99 lb. I do believe they are Russian, but taste great. Being a small market here, nobody sells Alaskan products except for a friend of mine who keeps his own sockeyes (he's a commercial fisherman) and brings them here to sell. I will say I've bought 20 lb. boxes of crab from him in the past @ 400.00. Yes, that's 20.00/lb, which is ridiculous, since we can now get crab for 9.99 at Costco. Also, the crab legs/claws from Costco are just as large (or larger) and taste identical. I wholly support wild product from AK, but having to pay double the price is not acceptable.
    My 2 cents,
    Jim

Default King Crab

FWIW I was able get some of the Norwegian king crab right before Thanksgiving, & it tasted just fine. It was also bigger than the red or golden being offered right now at city market.
    However Ak Author I am confused by your statements, Goldens are smaller than Reds not larger, & have more spines on the legs. I know you stated they had no spines on the body so I'm not sure if you ment legs too.

Default Crunching crab...

The golds are larger than the reds. The golds are smooth and the reds are spiney.

That's all I know across my retail counter.

Tanner crabs are on the menu this very evening...

Not sure what you're buying, but the Golden Kings from Alaska are spiney as heck - just ate some a few nights ago and felt like I should've been wearing leather gloves for protection.

-Brian

Default Crabs

A little site thay may help distinguish the various types of king crabs.

http://www.fishermansexpress.com/king-crab-101.html

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Never seen a "large" golden crab

My experience has been the same as BM's. In SE we catch brown/golden crab in a winter fishery. They are incrediby spiny. I have seen 'red' king crab for sale in restaurants that are MUCH smaller than the Alaskan red crab. These 'red' crab are considerably below the 7" minimum size limit for Alaskan crab. I've been told that these are of foreign-caught, and that could account for why some guys think the golden's are bigger. If you eat enough crab, you'll easily be able to tell the difference between golden and red. IMHO, the Alaskan red's are the best.

Default Crab clarity...

Thanks for the link!

Based on the pictures I've been buying Brisol Bay Red King Crab. The pic of "the captains reserve" are the exact claws and elbows I've been culling out.

Once again, you local boys are deadly with your data.

My thanks...

Default Taste Test

A few years back I got curious as to which kind of crab leg taste best - not that any of them taste bad. So I bought red, golden, and what was labeled "snow" (which I assumed was opilio). I invited a few lucky taste testers over and we all tried the different types back to back. It's much easier to tell the differences in flavor that way.

We all liked all three but for most of us the order of preference went: 1- red; 2- golden; 3- snow. One person favored golden over red.

We've been buying that Russian crab lately from Costco. It's huge, delicious, and at $10/pound, it's cheaper than halibut. After Friday's vote to limit sport caught halibut to one per day, commercial fisherman get no sympathy from me.

Default small reds

The small Red King Crab are most likely Norton Sound King crab. They are smaller and are usaually sold here at New Sagaya live. Different Regs on Keepers for Norton Sound. Also for sure Golden King Crab (or Brown King Crabs as I prefer...see my name) are very, very spikey. They are a deep water crab as oppossed to Reds that are shallow. Also a much smaller quota then Red Kings Crabs. I don't know if any other region besides Alaska harvest golds?? And for best tasting I hear Blue King Crab are the best but due to very small stocks are not commercially fished. they used to be but not for about a decade. Maybe one day we can get some.

Also if people want to buy the Norwegian Crab go right ahead..it's a free country. Me I will keep buying alaska crab when I can, but I'll admit to buying some of those HUGE legs just because I thought they were humomgous. I didn't like it as much as they were very close to molting and so there was a lot of nasty tissue in the legs. I wonder if they grow faster or just harvest at different times of year??

Don't forget about the Bairdi (Tanner). I've always been pretty partial to them. Hence the name. Like a snow crab/opilio but bigger and tastier.

While on the subject I was curious if any of you know what kind this one is. Pulled up a couple in the shrimp pots 2 summers ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Where at

I think that is called a "pinchbug" and isn't commen to alaska. Where did you get that? PWS? Was that the only one? What depth? Let me know, and I may be able to get a postivie ID. My co-worker knows someone who researches those, and he is the one that ID'ed it.

Default yep

Yep it's a pinchbug or Chirostylidae. If you ever get one again can I have it? PM if so. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast