Thread: Meat shipping cost

Default Meat shipping cost

I'm doing a float hunt out of Kotzebue in a few months and I am trying to get a general idea of what it is going to cost to ship the meat home. I am either going to use Alaska air or NAC and ship it to Anchorage to get processed, or to
    Kodiak and process it myself. I have spoke with both AA & NAC but can't seem to get a straight answer out of either of them. If you shipped game meat within state with either of them last year please fill me in with how much you shipped and what it cost you. Thanks

Best is to ship excess gear back as cargo and take meat as checked luggage then it travels with you and no waiting for planes that might not come in for a while. That's how it I did it and worked out well.

I would like to do that, as it has worked for me in the past, but with moose quarters and Alaska Air cargo limiting the weight on each item to 100 lbs I think it will be much less of a hassle to just put it on the NAC pallet and ship it to Anchorage.

Debone quarters once you get back into kotz at the hanger. Then put into totes at what ever weights you want. I personally am not going to trust my meat to get to where i want it in go laying on a pallet. The contamination potential by just throwing it on a pallet at NAC is irresponsible at best. This is food not gear!

My hunting partner and I took storage totes to Adak, each took a caribou, and deboned the meat and checked the tubs in as baggage...that worked out great. On this hunt if we each take a moose that would mean we would have to drag 20 storage tubs to Kotzebue, debone all the meat in a airplane hanger risking contamination, then have the meat sit an extra 30 hours waiting to leave Kotzebue on Alaska Air. Instead, we feel it will be more responsible and cost/time effective to leave the meat on the bone in game bags, wrap in a tarp and place on the NAC pallet the day we come out of the field, and within 5 hours it is in Anchorage in Indian Valley Meats freezer. I have spoke to three different people at Alaska Air and got three different estimates on price and all seem like too much money compared to what NAC has quoted me. Thanks for your input, but I was hoping that someone who has shipped meat recently could fill me in on what they paid and how much they shipped, as all NAC could give me was an "estimate". Thanks

I tossed my last airway bill from Kotz, but I found one from Nome which should be the same backhaul rate as Kotz. I shipped 811 lbs of meat from Nome to ANC for $226 in Feb 2009. This was on Everts Air, not NAC.

Sending a pm...

As far as getting a better idea on shipping items back to ANC, the current rate with Everts is .25 per pound plus 12% fuel surcharge plus tax (.0625) This would be the same from any of the departure points (Nome, Kotz, Illiamna, ect.) The price per pound stays fairly constant, thought the fuel surcharge may vary as the price of fuel goes up or down. If you choose to use pallets rather than tubs, pick out good ones- the blue painted pallets have the top wood spaced closer together which helps to keep items from slipping through, sagging meat bags, ect. Other pallets that may work well are the newer yellow or red plastic pallets.

Default Cordova

What are your options for shipping deer back to Anchorage from Cordova? Anyone know?

How does taking meat as checked luggage work as far as flying from Anc to Arizona? Does it have to be frozen first?

We've got some friends coming up to help for a share of meat, and I want to figure out the easiest (and cheapest!) way to do this...

No, it doesn't have to be frozen, but I would think there would be less worry if it was frozen. You just have to mark on the outside of your container "frozen meat" or "cool meat".