Thread: Ship Creek Boat Ramp

Lightbulb Ship Creek Boat Ramp

I know this is a noobie question but has anyone ever caught anything there within the bay? i was out there..not knowing a boat ramp even existed there..and saw quite a bit of fishing line and hooks on the ground there..was just wandering if anything swims the murky waters out there. flounders? anything?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    I know this is a noobie question but has anyone ever caught anything there within the bay? i was out there..not knowing a boat ramp even existed there..and saw quite a bit of fishing line and hooks on the ground there..was just wandering if anything swims the murky waters out there. flounders? anything?
    I used to live in Anchorage and would go down there occasionally to watch the "fishing fiasco" that occurs every year on Ship Creek when large numbers of salmon enter Ship Creek. I would see boats sitting right outside the mouth of Ship fishing for whatever salmon are entering the river, so that is certainly an option. I always thought about doing it myself, but just never got around to doing it.

I don't know if you're experienced with the upper Cook Inlet tides, but they are very tricky and areas that are 20 ft. deep at high tide can turn into mud flats at low. It's not something you want to do if you don't know what you're doing.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'll guess that there are probably some small flounder that hang out around the mouth of the creek.

I have been launching out of the Ship Creek launch for the past two years. I usually just fish the mouth and will work up the creek a few hundred yards, normally just to the first bend by the foam factory. We have done well landing silvers and kings this way, and it is always nice to not have to deal with the crowd whenever I take my 5 year old out with me. As for fish out in the inlet...I doubt it would be worth your time. I have tried to troll herring and flashers out there with absolutely no luck. The water is so murky that I can't even see my prop 12 inches into the water. I myself have given up on catching anything decent out there.

Smile

Yeah i figured there wasn't much out there. Just thought maybe something fun for the kids to go try out at high tide since its close to town. Appreciated the replies though.

Now another question...where would i go to look for tide tables for this area? thinking about launching a boat for the first time this weekend to test it out. dont want to end up stuck in the mudflats somewhere. any help will be much appreciated.

Just Google "2010 Anchorage Tide Tables". That should do the trick.

Yeah i figured there wasn't much out there. Just thought maybe something fun for the kids to go try out at high tide since its close to town. Appreciated the replies though.

Now another question...where would i go to look for tide tables for this area? thinking about launching a boat for the first time this weekend to test it out. dont want to end up stuck in the mudflats somewhere. any help will be much appreciated.
    If your boat is 50hp or less you can run it in lower fire lake in Eagle River, or one of the lakes in Anchorage that is open to 50hp and under, I just forget which lake it is.

Big lake in the Valley is another option and I don't believe there are any hp restrictions.

I just can't see cook inlet as a place I want to be trying out a new boat.

Here you go Hunter: http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/get_predi...1036+Anchorage

Limit your time on the water out there to the 3 hours before and 3 hours after the high tide. The Ship Creek ramp is pretty much useless outside of those timeframes due to the lack of dock space and the massive amount of silt on the ramp itself.

thanks for the info. A lake close by was exactly what i was looking for. thanks much!

Appreciated all the input on this guys! Good info

And Paul, i def agree with you about testing out a new boat out there. Its a pretty small boat. 14' with a 25hp on it. i'll go check out L fire lake and see if its completely thawed out yet. again thanks much.

I've been meaning to take our inflatable out of lower fire lake, as the kids always enjoy running out to the island and paddling around. Last time I drove by the lake it was still iced over, but that was a week ago and it looked like the ice should be going out soon if it hasn't already.

Stop by lower fire lake. completely iced out but sadly road construction tomorrow closes down roads in that area. Ran into a few guys with patoons and had themselves a few pikes. interesting.

I went down there with my son yesterday. I wasn't sure where the road closure started, so took the freeway to S Birchwood, then back tracked on the old Glenn to hit the N end of the lake. You could enter either end of the road when we were there, I'll have to see if there is a website that gives road closure times and locations.

We motored around the lake a few times in the dinghy, he enjoyed driving it. I was laying down in front trying to get the balance right to get us on plane, just a tad too much weight for the 8 horse to wind out. He also found out if you take a tight turn and hit your wake a wave will come over the bow and drench the old man.

Made a few fruitless casts, but basically just got out on the water to have some fun.

Sounds like fun! yeah headed out there late today with my dingy and a minnkota trolling motor on it. nice day just to be out of the water. was catching pike like crazy. Must be spawning season eh? Next week...seward.. at least i hope itll be seward. Didn't get to try out the new boat yet but notice there is a lot of wood stumps under that water at LFL. Gives me the chills thinking about how it would be if i ran into one of those.