Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuff you forget

Default Stuff you forget

Almost every trip we forget something, but nothing major. I get this feeling in my gut when we are pulling out of the drive way, like I know we have forgotten something. Last trip it was the plastic buckets, the ubiquitous buckets we use for everything: sitting on while popping shrimp heads, piss pot, deck wash down, shrimp and fish storage, etc, etc. We were about half way to Whittier when I remember, what to do. Luck has it we were able to pick up two 4 gallon pails from the stores at Girdwood.

I put the 2hp Honda onboard for the dink. but had forgotten to include the outboard mount. Fortunately we didn’t really need the motor, but it’s just one more item I need to put on my ever expanding boat list.

Nothing takes the place of a comprehensive easy to find list, I should laminate one and hang it on the dash of my truck.

On a side note, I did find a new ride last weekend>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I don't usually forget too much, but a couple items I seem to overlook are my camera and a pillow on overnight trips, oh and I forget to bring CD's almost everytime, but now I have a plug in for my ipod, and that works better anyways.

Default benefit from your mistakes

Thanks for starting this thread breausaw.

Since we're on the subject....I just bought a boat. I plan on doing most my fishing and shrimping out of PWS and Seward, but have no saltwater tackle or gear. I have a running list in my head (and it keeps getting longer) of things I need to get once I get back to AK.

My question to all of you is.......Once out on the water what is the 1 thing you wish you had or forgot to bring that makes the trip easier or more enjoyable?

I know, I left this wide open, so please keep replies to a PG rating

usually for me it is either to install the drain plug or to remove the trailer strap. At least with the plug I can run it on step to get the water out and find a discrete place to reach over the back and install it. There is no hiding the trailer strap... As far as gear that I needed, I usually have the opposite problem of taking way more than I need!

Brown Bear Locking tag and lip balm...
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default always need more of

Crown Royal

Towels & hand sanitizer so your sandwich doesn't taste like raw herring. ;-)

Towels are also needed for wiping windows when they fog over. Also I have forgotten glass cleaner on many ocasions to clear the dried salt residue on the exterior of the windows.

Default OMG

Store the boat in Seward live in Eagle river ... Last year drove all the way to Seward in the truck before realizing the toungh and 2 5/16" ball for the hitch was sitting in the garage back home!

Oh S#it ...

Fortuately, Jerry at SHIP in Serward lent me one for the day.

Never, EVER forget you wife. She will never let you forget you did
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Talking

72ft Viking Sportfisher with the tuna tower!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread breausaw.

My question to all of you is.......Once out on the water what is the 1 thing you wish you had or forgot to bring that makes the trip easier or more enjoyable?

I know, I left this wide open, so please keep replies to a PG rating
    That would be Coffee!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I tend to keep alot of stuff on the boat, and plenty of spares, which usually prevents too many things being forgotten. The one thing I usually forget is drinking cups. I carry a 5 gal jug of water which is great for staying hydrated, but it's a bugger when you don't have anything to drink it from.

Food is another one. I seem to be getting ready last minute for mad dash mid-week one day trips. I figure we'll grab some stuff from Carr's while waiting to meet up with my fishing buddies, and early in the morning I'm not that hungry so tend to pick up a few snacks and not consider getting together a decent meal. And if you're dashing down the aisles with your young son's, they'll suggest getting stuff that might not agree with them on the water. Note, gatoraide and donuts isn't the best fuel for kids when you head way out from Seward and they are being pitched around by rollers Fortunately they are pretty good sports and tucking into some protected water settled their gullets. They also have lost any desire to drink gatoraide.

Checklists are a godsend, and when you take stuff off the boat to clean it, make sure you put it right back on the boat vs. piling it up in the garage!

Hmm, wonder where I left my checklist

Sun glasses and more beer!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I once forgot the anchor. We were going to a place to anchor to fish. 30 minutes into the boat ride, I noticed I didn't have it. Turned around, made the 15 minute drive home to get it, and went back out. Bummer!

I've driven a long ways to the put in to realize that in my haste to depart, I forgot to fill up the boat.
    Now that puts a damper on things. Thats when you hope you remembered the beer, because theres nothing else to do
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default Hmmmmm......

Lets see..forgot the boat keys, luckily I realized before I went through the tunnel, but the wife wasn't too happy that I made her drive to Girdwood at 6am to drop them off!

Another time, I left the GPS/Fishfinder at home and didn't realize it till AFTER I was through the tunnel. You know how hard it was to fish my favorite pinnacle without one, had my line down about 50 ft not knowing if was fishing 60ft or 600ft!!!!

This past weekend...I went to fire up the burner to make coffee and nothing, clogged and just spitting air..luckily I brought a small charcoal grill with me and within 45 grueling minutes later I had my fix!!!
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default We went out

Last April and camped in McClure Bay
    I forgot the air mattress (slept in tents)
    I pulled the cushions out of the cuddy in the boat

I was told it isn't the same thing...

I was also told I am not allowed to camp that early with the wife
    EVER
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I made a checklist in MS Word of absolutely everything we need on the boat, then printed out about 50 copies of it. I leave that stack in my garage on top of the beer fridge and use a new one each trip. I walk around with a pen and the checklist, marking everything off as it goes into the boat. Since doing this, I haven't forgotten a single thing. Prior to doing this, I forgot everything from pliers, head unit for the fish finder, bait, and even one of my rods.

Last weekend the wife and I went out to Whittier. Got out to Lone Island and went to hook up some jigs and realized that I left both tackle boxes on the garage floor. Lucky for me I have a few jigs and buzz bombs laying in the side trays. Still didn't catch much fish, but caught alot of hell from the wife....... A checklist is being made now....

Default Forgot our Daughters Once ...

Before getting in line for the tunnel to Whittier my buddy and I asked our two girls if they needed to use the restroom. They said, "No". So we hopped out and dashed for the men's room. It was raining and we were hurrying some. Coming out of the restroom my buddy noticed he forgot the ball to his truck. "Dang!!" We thought. "We are going to have to borrow one in Whittier." This little discussion distracted us for a few minutes as we got in line.

Then I turned around and yelled, "Our girls are gone!"

My friend replied, "Yeah, right." and then turned to see that that was indeed the case. Our girls had changed their minds about using the restroom and had hopped out of the truck right after us.

As we turned the truck around we noticed them standing next to a tour bus with the driver waiting for us to figure out they were't in the truck. The driver rolled his eyes at us as our kids came running.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,... That was soooo funny! Actually our two wives didn't laugh a bit when we told them the story.

Now we get reminded of our doofus mistake every time we go through the tunnel.

Bait...check
    rods...check
    daughters...check, check

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast